selling ring + pawn broker = police.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said Loamer.

There is a Law in most if not all States where a person can be charged with "Stealing by finding"

Offence under: Section 74, Crimes Act 1958

Overview: A person can be charged with theft if he or she finds or accidentally comes across something belonging to another and then keeps it or deals with it as if he or she is the owner.

Of course, finding coins it would be difficult to prove, however, the ring such as you note was stolen and therefore any possession is attached to the original crime.

Had the same ring have been lost, say at the beach, because of its value, you could be charged if caught selling it. Who is to say it wasn't stolen and lost or discarded by a thief.

The best course of action if you find something of value and wish to keep or sell it, is to hand it into the police along with details of where and when found and your own details. You need to nominate to the Police, that if not claimed you wish to have it returned (usually 3 months later). It is then legally yours.

Moral - If claimed, you've done your good deed, if unclaimed, it's legally yours and you can do as you wish with it.

I think the enjoyment of returning a ring of that value to its owner, especially if you found it detecting would be greater than any pawn-brokers Cheque.

What a buzz???

In NSW if property is handed into Police it can be returned to the 'finder' if an owner is not located after 28 days.

It is a bit of a flawed law in some respects, especially if the item found has been sitting in the ground for any length of time, if valuable, most items would have been claimed under insurance. In saying that, one off pieces of jewellery (wedding/engagenent rings), or items of sentimental value should be handed in, especially if identifiable. I know a lot of guys don't due to the effort and cost outlayed in the first place, especially considering the item would have never have seen the light of day again if it weren't for the detector. It's a contentious issue that always crops up time and time again.

If an item has been claimed on insurance, I think you will find that the insurance company then becomes the legal owner. If the original owner wishes it back then they have to repay the claim.

i had a customer who found a bracelet (i am a pawnbroker) and sold it to my shop, he was later spoken to by the police after they contacted me informing me that it was a reported as a lost item, the customer that sold it wasn't charged but was warned that it is possible to charged from that action, that's why i recommend anyone that finds a nice piece they should hand it in, it may get returned to you :)

Latest posts