Secure place to put detector when travelling

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day All,

I am looking at getting a new vehicle & camper trailer set up later in the year to travel further afield in my search for the yellow stuff.

In light of hearing about the unfortunate & low-life theft of detectors recently, I'd be keen to get peoples idea on securing expensive gear when on the road/camping.

I have thought about a fully secure cage/tarp set up for the Ute or perhaps a bolted in lockable box/cabinet?

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think that a fibreglass canopy would be that secure?

Anyway any ideas are most welcome!

Best regards

Bullwinkle

Mine rides in the back seat fully set up just in case I see some ground worth detecting whilst driving. I have dark tinting so its very difficult to see it if I leave my car in a carpark.

Fibreglass canopies can be very secure, it just depends on the type of locking mechanism it has. A lockable steel box would also be a secure way to reduce the risk of theft. Again, it depends on the lock you have. A small cheap padlock on a thin latch is not the hardest thing to just bust off.

If you have an expensive detector, I would list it on your home contents insurance if it is possible.

Thanks mate, makes sense to me.
Sounds like the canopy might be the go with a box to put the detector in so it doesn't get knocked around.
I have insurance so if someone's that desperate I can get a replacement.
Best regards & thanks again.

Too many get pinched and I bet many get dumped as a bit hard to move...

That being said, security and protecting from heavy shit is a good move... I keep knocking and having fishing gear and lead diving weights dumped on my CTX and SDC...

Need to do something positive....

MB is spot on the money ................. if they can't see it they can't want it :Y: Avoid bumper stickers like I love detecting or Minelab etc which advertise what may be in your vehicle. These are also handy and retrieved some interesting footage on a recent trip of a FELLOW prospector :rolleyes: ................... nothing taken but a lot of snooping took place whilst I was away from camp. Was an interesting conversation that took place the next morning :mad:

1525978174_trail_cam.jpg

Bogger said:
MB is spot on the money ................. if they can't see it they can't want it :Y: Avoid bumper stickers like I love detecting or Minelab etc which advertise what may be in your vehicle. These are also handy and retrieved some interesting footage on a recent trip of a FELLOW prospector :rolleyes: ................... nothing taken but a lot of snooping took place whilst I was away from camp. Was an interesting conversation that took place the next morning :mad:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1525978174_trail_cam.jpg

Can you recommend a store that gives good price and service?

Not really sorry .................... I just purchased mine second hand off Ebay ................. like new $50
I believe this model sells at around $120 but if you look there are about 10 different brand names but just the same camera rebranded. Units can look the same but price usually dictates features available. This unit can be set for continual vid, movement activation, duration of clip after activating etc etc and takes 4 or 8 batteries so can run for days. I'd just go ebay ................. any problems money back no risk :Y:
Video footage is excellent and replays can be interesting. From snoopers to curious cows having a chew along with a few feral night visitors :eek: Sometimes it's better not to know what's going on whilst your sleeping :rolleyes:

1525985802_trail_camera_2.jpg

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/_9qAGJo9MwI[/video]

:Y: Yep as always many copies and not all have the same features available even though they physically look exactly the same ................ you really have to read the fine print even up to what size memory card they will support. You can go from $50 to over $400 for the Bushnells etc

ctxkid said:
mine is 10mp , full hd, up to 32gb , mine has a 32gb micro sd in an adapter, worx a treat

Not doubting in anyway :Y: Post up ebay item as I'm sure others will be interested ........... great price :Y: Simply letting prospective purchasers be aware that the variants in different cams is huge .................. from trigger speed to night vision distance / ability, 4G capable etc From what I can work out many use the same basic case, but different cameras and motherboards are fitted. Well that's if you believe all the blurb in their adds, have found some with different claims but come with the same user manual :rolleyes:

I understand that canopies have there place , especially if it assists your vehicle work wise etc.

But canopies , to me , attract thieves , just my opinion

Dumb question .......

I guess these wildlife cameras can be put anywhere to record whatever we like

Is there such a recording device that has an alarm ..?

The recording of thieves = great , anything that scares them off somehow in the act would be better ..?

I keep mine in a locked steel toolbox that is screwed to the tray and you have to drop the sideboard to tinker with the lock.

Trash said:
I understand that canopies have there place , especially if it assists your vehicle work wise etc.

Dumb question .......

The recording of thieves = great , anything that scares them off somehow in the act would be better ..?

That's easy and cheap as chips, just set up a few of these around your camp or stick in the trees .................. you can arm with remote then go away and then disarm when you return ............. they are loud. :rolleyes: The other thing also is that they don't know if when it goes of it hasn't also sent a message to your phone, so would probably head off. The Trail cameras with 4G function can be set up to send a message to phone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remote-C...e-System-M2-/263649633577?hash=item3d62be2529

1526026919_alarm_sensor.jpg

Bogger said:
Trash said:

Dumb question .......

That's easy and cheap as chips, just set up a few of these around your camp or stick in the trees .................. you can arm with remote then go away and then disarm when you return ............. they are loud. :rolleyes: The other thing also is that they don't know if when it goes of it hasn't also sent a message to your phone, so would probably head off. The Trail cameras with 4G function can be set up to send a message to phone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remote-C...e-System-M2-/263649633577?hash=item3d62be2529

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1526026919_alarm_sensor.jpg

Very helpful

Cheers !

Trash said:

Dumb question .......

Canopies can be rigged up to your central locking and an alarm if need be. Only good if you are nearby of course.

out of site is a good policy, as for the game trail camera , Aldi sell them from time to time at $130 a unit , when I sold them , mine where the Scoutguard brand and use to cost me $140 to get them here, most work on 8 AA batterys , the more you pay the better the features , like ringing you and you can see what going on. Now a down side night vision is limited distance , the info red lights glow a dull red so they might be seem , if out and about at night and you carry night vision gear they are easy to find , very sensitive to movement from the wind and its amazing how may critters will come and give it the once over. The modern thief has the portable cordless angle grinder , so if they want in their in, and you will not hear it , I use 2 or 3 camera's each watching the other and place then up in trees not many people look up when skulking about on the prowl , day or night , as I mentioned before night has its problems , if you find one ,beware it may have already transmitted the pictures and it might have a tracking device incorporated in the system if you decide to take it home for a closer look and they do have access code to lock out other users, the addition of the alarms is also recommended but its not absolute security if they want it they will take it

Latest posts