Searching in the wrong places !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dangerous map is the map of tazzy
it comes with X marks the spot, but guarded by another species.

Read the ground and surrounding vegatation John, look for areas of pressure with soil color change, Anticlines, flats and traps.

Target the fault/sheer zones where these exist.

Use the map to get you in the area, then stick it in the glove box mate!

Only suggesting what i would be doing ;)

Metamorphic said:
Read the ground and surrounding vegatation John, look for areas of pressure with soil color change, Anticlines, flats and traps.

Target the fault/sheer zones where these exist.

Use the map to get you in the area, then stick it in the glove box mate!

Only suggesting what i would be doing ;)

Metamorphic that is such a great guide. Use the map to get you there then stick it in the glove box . Reading the ground and vegetation is truly the best map . I'm no expert that's for certain. Still new but getting to know more every day . And after time in the field it's surprising how much you learn for the next time and it being completely subconscious

Cheers :)

johnb said:
Well, I have checked all the places where there is no gold, now I am about to check all the places where there might be gold, incidently, the map I am using has so many crosses on it I can hardly read it.!

Ha ha, I know exactly how you feel johnb.
Here I was over the Christmas break showing the extended family the 3 small nuggets I've so far found (for a total of 1.03g).

"What a waste of time & energy" my 21 year old then told them.
"I pull anything from 1 point something to 3 or 4 grams + of splashed gold, platinum, palladium etc out of the bottom of Dad's casting machine every week when I'm cleaning his workplace.....LOL, maybe he should take his detector to work instead?"

.....it can be a tad hard to justify a purchase & time spent when someone pipes up like that.
Cheers.

I like these maps sort of spells out the areas you should be.

1424680838_rsz_geo_map_of_ballarat.jpg

It's a Geological Survey of Victoria map available from DPI offices for a fee, I head down to my local Ballarat DPI branch and inspect the same maps they have on public display in the front office. I buy the ones I want, the ballarat DPI also have all the doug stone maps and assorted prospecting books.
Not sure what the NSW equivalent of DPI is however I'm sure they have a similar system.

Another reason I like these maps is they tell you what type of deposits you'll find in a specific area so you can equip your self to suit.

Wintersnake said:
It's a Geological Survey of Victoria map available from DPI offices for a fee, I head down to my local Ballarat DPI branch and inspect the same maps they have on public display in the front office. I buy the ones I want, the ballarat DPI also have all the doug stone maps and assorted prospecting books.
Not sure what the NSW equivalent of DPI is however I'm sure they have a similar system.

Another reason I like these maps is they tell you what type of deposits you'll find in a specific area so you can equip your self to suit.

Thanks for that wintersnake

WS, theyre on the net mate. Cant put them on here as they are too big. I'll have to check where I downloaded them from on post the spot. leave it with me. or else I'll msg you with the address. I've got maps of Chewton, Ballarat nth and sth castlemaine, daylesford. Have to say that usually the gold section of the map is where the town is NOW located as the oldtimers built their town where they dug.

Tassie Daz said:
WS, theyre on the net mate. Cant put them on here as they are too big. I'll have to check where I downloaded them from on post the spot. leave it with me. or else I'll msg you with the address. I've got maps of Chewton, Ballarat nth and sth castlemaine, daylesford. Have to say that usually the gold section of the map is where the town is NOW located as the oldtimers built their town where they dug.

Spot on! when fossicking old gold fields if you can't see a roof (or ruins) you're off target.

casper

Andyndan, if you use Google Earth here's a link for the NSW Geological dataset, it will give you all Geological maps, mineral deposits such as Gold and Gems, sample and assay data and field observations all georeferenced for free.

All the data will be in a clickable list on the right side of GE, when you close GE click save to save instead of discard the data set.

Just read the instructions on the page.

Latest posts