sdc2300 settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use number 2 green setting and threshold on the 4th light how does running the machine flat out make it any better?

I run mine as high as I can with a stable threshold. I can get 5 at times, but generally 4.
There have been times when its simply un usable. (on any setting..)

I have tried 5-4 with low threshold and it is so wobbly but others run that high on the same ground and say its better to run like that

heatho that is what miners den told me to just about everyone I have meet with one say run flat out you are the third person to say run on 3 20 plus all say flat out

Ive never studied it much , 2 red lights on and run it flat out..Never had to change it, simply a great machine..Turn it on and go..Its limitations are depth..Im going to stick my neck out and say it will run out of depth at 6 inches on .2 gram and even a bit bigger..I will always go over with the 4500 and if they are there find more at 7 inches..Last year found a small patch in WA and found 6 with the 2300, went over it with the 4500 and 14 Camo and found another 7, just a tad deeper..This year I had a 24x12 Evo on and found another 7..and it is a small area..The biggest was 4 grams and the 2300 didnt hear it ..

Hi all,

I've been using our SDC on 5 with the threshold flat out and the red led's hover at about 2 in the country out at Western Creek in NQ. Before I got the GPZ I was also running the SDC with B&Z Booster.

It all depends on the soil in your detecting area. I can't comment on the other states but while we were in WA (Laverton area) we used the same settings as NQ.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Doug

227dick said:
heatho that is what miners den told me to just about everyone I have meet with one say run flat out you are the third person to say run on 3 20 plus all say flat out

My best advice is to run it as high as you can and keep it stable. If 2 is the best that keeps it stable then that is what will work best on that ground.

Check out Nenad's vids on the SDC.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/T3CbJxNXNW0[/video]

Short answer is, Higher Sensitivity = More Depth.

Long answer is, don't take my word for it, try it yourself by making a test track.

Bury some targets in the ground, and run your machine over it in different settings.

You can use lead fishing sinkers or birdshot to simulate gold. You can use plastic markers to remember the location and depth of your targets.

Different soil types (clay, topsoil) and EMI will affect how stable your threshold is.

If you live in Victoria there is a test area already set up somewhere - use search function or a Vic member might be able to fill you in on where it is.

Pre SP01 I always used Sensitivity 4/Threshold 4. Now with SP01 I use 5/3. I don't like 5/2 because I like a constant threshold sound and on 1 or 2 I don't like the silence.

When we were in W.A the digger always used 2<3 and the machine worked well huming along nicely..
if there was a very faint signal , then some times the setting was increased to 4.. but not very often..

Smooth is key :Y: start high and decrease, ground balence and go , if i get a nugget i usually turn it up and scan the close ground slow and steady , when the burps and chirps drive you mad drop it back again :Y:

There is a way to get the best out of your 2300

Switch on with setting at level 2 (green)

Hold the coil waist high parallel to the ground and press the noise cancel button. Hold it still until complete. (4 beeps)

Listen to your machine, if it fairly quiet turn up slowly through each level until the sound is annoying/torturing your ears

Once you have set a level (4 or 5 typically in WA) do the noise cancel procedure again

Ground balance the machine. With the coil parallel to the ground and keeping it flat, press and hold the green button. Pump the coil up and down around 4 inches. Usually i do this for 20 to 30 seconds and you will hear the machine stabilize

Finally i press the threshold button right through to the top and loop in back to the first position... press 9 times, this will usually take the final chippy edge off the sound

If your SDC is going noisy it is usually time to do another noise cancel, its very sensitive

Finally Ground Balance (green button) as often as you need to to keep it running stable

Ha Dick , Mark here you know I run mind on 5 and flat out around rock out crops

in the creaks down to 3 and still flat out

maybe my hearing is going

Mark

The one we have is set on 5 with maybe 1 red led showing....

It has been like that since we bought it ......

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

The higher you go, the more noise you will get in your threshold, and a noisy threshold will mean missing those faint signals or minor hiccups. They will be masked by noise, and differentiating between the two if you can even hear it would be near impossible.

It has and will always be a rule the cleaner you keep that threshold, the more likely you are to hear abnormalities in it.

If the ground permits, as Heatho said above, then by all means run it as high as possible. But it most cases, 9 out of 10, the threshold will be eratic, and that is a no no.

Good luck

SDC's are also known for balancing a target out. Especially faint ones.
If you have the threshold set clean, it makes everything play nicely and easy to discern.

I found when using the SDC and locating a possible faint (small) target, I keep my swing wide (as possible) over the target, even off to the side, ground balance again and go back. It will clear up the target a lot better. If you just keep the swing small and go back and forth over the target too many times it can get tracked out and disappear.

Keep this in mind if you ever come across disappearing targets.

Good luck again

Latest posts