SDC2300 ISSUE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just inquiring if anyone has had an issue with the extending arm of the SDC2300 detector not fully retracting when folding it up. It feels like the coiled cord running up the center of the arm is interfering with two extension pieces from fully retracting. It stops retracting when there is still around 2 inches remaining. I hope this makes sense.

willo1.

Best bet is to contact your dealer or minelab while its still under warranty. never used one personal but I would not expect this to happen from a 3k machine and minelabs quality is what I consider to be top notch.so I would expect this to be sorted out for you without to much hassles. regards kim

Sounds like a similar issue that some ATX users had with them. The cable had come adrift inside & needed to be returned for warranty repair I think from memory. Maybe one of them will comment here?
Haven't heard of this on the SDC until now but have wondered about it especially as I tend to retract it if going between diggings etc. so mine goes in/out a bit. Unfortunately it sounds like yours has a similar issue as the ATX's & I reckon it will need warranty repair as opening it up doesn't appear an easy thing & will void your warranty. I would contact your dealer or Minelab & let them know what's happening.

Thanks for the help. I didn't know whether or not it may have been a common problem. I will get onto minelab and see what they have to say.

I had a similar issue initially but it seemed to resolve itself after a few uses.

I tried retracting the top shaft first for a couple of goes and it seemed to settle down after that.

Willo, I've just sent mine in for an unrelated problem. I do know that there is currently skeleton staffing and a 3 week turnaround is likely. (Its re portably usually 1 week) If I were you, I would keep using it for another 3 weeks before sending it in, as the weather is as good as it gets at the minute.

Thanks xray. I called them yesterday and they told me the same thing. The fella I spoke with told me to wait for about a month and then send it in. He was interested in seeing it as they had not come across this issue with the 2300 yet.

xray1982 said:
Willo, I've just sent mine in for an unrelated problem. I do know that there is currently skeleton staffing and a 3 week turnaround is likely. (Its re portably usually 1 week) If I were you, I would keep using it for another 3 weeks before sending it in, as the weather is as good as it gets at the minute.

Hey Xray
Do you mind describing the problem you have had with yours so we/ others can keep an eye out for it in our own units??? if not publicly? PM me as I drive 5 hours to my field & would like to elliminate a problem out there, thanks.
cheers
Lee

I haven't had any issues with mine... *touch wood*

I put a small pack of wet wipes in my detector bag and give the sdc a quick wipe down at the end of each day. I have heard of the dusty dirt causing retraction issues if not cleaned regularly.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed soon.

rc62burke said:
xray1982 said:

Hey Xray
Do you mind describing the problem you have had with yours so we/ others can keep an eye out for it in our own units??? if not publicly? PM me as I drive 5 hours to my field & would like to elliminate a problem out there, thanks.
cheers
Lee

Yeah no worries lee, My detector has obviously a problem with the PCB and it operates instead of being on 1 LED lit when motionless , it runs wobbly in between 2, 3 and 4. It does not respond to auto tuning, new batteries, and still gets cranky on even the lowest sensitivity setting of 1. The detector still detects if the metal is big enough and on the surface. It sounds like a fast wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa flickering between LED's even when motionless with no metal objects nearby. (sorry, this is embarrassing but it should help others know what the problem sounds like)
Oh and before someone asks whether this has been tested out of town, yes it has been all over the place as I originally thought it to be EMI and I travelled far and wide to check its results. I hope this helps someone else.

Okay all, I got my detector back from Minelab and they just switched the PCB over for a brand new one as it is more cost effective that way. Good service and i'm pleased to report it works fine. 4 hours detecting for 4 bits of gold at just on 0.7grams.