SDC2300 at Tibooburra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IanSDC said:
Yeah, I was using headphones, seems to work better especially when it was windy as they helped isolate the wind noise. Cant use any headphones on the SDC as it has a special waterproof plug and socket. I believe ML are working on making an adapter for the unit so it can use regular headphones.

Camelback is a good idea, thanks!

Ian

????? market ready ? working on an adapter ? first model syndrome, I would be disappointed. :eek:

slipped disc said:
IanSDC said:
Yeah, I was using headphones, seems to work better especially when it was windy as they helped isolate the wind noise. Cant use any headphones on the SDC as it has a special waterproof plug and socket. I believe ML are working on making an adapter for the unit so it can use regular headphones.

Camelback is a good idea, thanks!

Ian

????? market ready ? working on an adapter ? first model syndrome, I would be disappointed. :eek:

Accessories always take a little time to come out for new products. Metal detectors are no different. SDC is a breath of fresh air not a disappointment.

That's pretty impressive going on the SDC, probably explains why there are so many gpx and sd series detectors currently on the market. Wait till it's proven, sell up and upgrade to a more user friendly gold detector. :)

Word around the campfire is that MineLab are selling so many SDC 2300's that the usual massive discounts available to ML staff does not apply to the SDC . Maybe they can't make enough of them

Cheers,

I'm not selling my 5000, I think they complement each other, the SDC is awesome though, hopefully they can't make enough until I get to a few more spots. :D

Hi Ian,

Where abouts on the common did you find those pieces? I just bought a this machine and am heading out to Tibo for a run this weekend. Want to make sure I can get onto something.

Hi IanSDC,

interested to know your detecting motion. Have read that a slower detecting speed picks up the larger deeper gold. Bendigo guys told us that the SDC can be swung quite fast but wondering if we are missing targets doing this. Heading out tomorrow to try a spot again with a much slower motion as with the 5000. What was your method?

Cheers,

Diggerdave73

Diggerdave73, I found I was swinging the detector probably at medium speed. The surface around the diggings is pretty rocky with quartz gravel and larger pieces interspersed. On the gully slopes there were large ironstone rocks, so a fast swing just was not on as I wanted to keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. Once I heard a faint double tone I would slow down and search for the target.

The SDC2300 runs really quiet, hitting rocks and vegetation or going over dips and rises did not produce false signals. I got the impression I was picking up small stuff in well worked areas that others had missed. As far as depth goes all I can say is I picked up small lead shotgun pellets down to 10" deep. The small pellets really sounded a lot like the gold targets so I dug them all up. I'm sure with bigger nuggets the detector would go as deep as is possible with a 8" coil.

Where did we get the little nuggets? Just about everywhere around the common there remain tiny pieces of gold. I dont think Tibooburra is the place to go to find many large nuggets but out at one of the stations (Gum Vale) you could try your luck for $10/day. When we went to Gum Vale I thought the geology of the area was fantastic and there are supposedly larger nuggets occasionally found. I did not find anything there but one in our group found a piece that I think went just over 1 gram. Everywhere else I went I could find a few tiny pieces every day but it certainly is small gold and scarce. It was great fun and I learned how to use the detector so for a beginner I was pretty pleased finding a few tiny pieces.

Ian

G0lddigg@ said:
Amazing how many 2100s 2200s 3500s 4000s and 4500 are on ebay this week

I can not see a staggering increase as i watch this all of
The time, maybe an extra unit here or there.

The question is how many 5000's have been sold in the
Past 3 months?

The answer is a staggering 11 2nd hand units inc the 1
sold here And currently 3 being for sale. Cheapest 5000
Sold for around $4500.

Along with 2 new 5000 sold.

Only 3 4500 sold.

1 gp3500 sold for around $1300. Title of listing was
"Metal Detector" hence why only 1 bid and sold at a
Bargain.

2 sdc 2300 sold.

My question is how many whites spp have been Sold
Since these have been introduced in the past 3 months.

I guess people don't hold on to them due to cost of
Purchase not sure. The next 2 years are going to be
very interesting.

Well done Iansdc, The SDC seems to be a real killer on sub gram nuggets. That would have to be the smallest piece of gold i have seen with a PI detector. :)

Wolfau said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Amazing how many 2100s 2200s 3500s 4000s and 4500 are on ebay this week

I can not see a staggering increase as i watch this all of
The time, maybe an extra unit here or there.

The question is how many 5000's have been sold in the
Past 3 months?

The answer is a staggering 11 2nd hand units inc the 1
sold here And currently 3 being for sale. Cheapest 5000
Sold for around $4500.

Along with 2 new 5000 sold.

Only 3 4500 sold.

1 gp3500 sold for around $1300. Title of listing was
"Metal Detector" hence why only 1 bid and sold at a
Bargain.

2 sdc 2300 sold.

My question is how many whites spp have been Sold
Since these have been introduced in the past 3 months.

I guess people don't hold on to them due to cost of
Purchase not sure. The next 2 years are going to be
very interesting.

I can only see 1 SPP and 1 TDI Pro being sold in the last month (ebay) and both were by the Aussie distributor. I wonder if the resale price of the GPX series has been affected at all since the introduction of the SDC2300??

I'd say it has Nugget, not too much but I think so. Still not selling mine as they are still the best Gold detector. The SDC will find Gold the 5000 can't though and at decent depth.

Agree Wolf I keep a regular eye on them to see if any bargains pop up & don't see much different at the moment. Have seen more for sale - have seen less. As an example there were 4 x SD2200's on eBay back when I got my old one. At the moment I have seen 2.
There will be some people looking at the SDC2300 but don't expect a rush of GPX's going cheaply anytime soon. Serious prospectors won't be getting rid of them to replace with SDC's!!
I don't expect to see huge price drops in 2nd hand Minelabs to be honest. It hasn't happened through SD > GP > GPX series yet. They devalue a little bit more with age & each more expensive series seems to reinforce the 2nd hand resale value not depreciate it.
As an example if the SDC2300 is the mid range new release then I am fully expecting the new top range model to be in the vicinity of $8000+. To me that will strengthen the value of previous models as there will still be a market for good machines.
Releases of machines like the SPP & ATX, while good machines in their own right, don't seem to affect Minelab used sales in the long term.
Spoke to a dealer yesterday & they are selling just as many used machines from SD2100 to GPX5000 as they are new. Can't keep used ones in stock so theres still a market there even with dealer's.
He did say that there are 100 x SDC2300 on order with Minelab at the moment so they are selling well too. Notice the SPP is out of stock until 1/08/14 so they are obviously selling well too.

I mentioned earlier that one of the guys in our group was using a 5000 with a 14x7 mono coil and he was finding the tiny nuggets as well. Not as sensitive as the SDC to the small stuff but he still did very well. I would not be selling a 5000 if I had one and after watching it work with the mono coil, I would be buying that coil to fit on the machine as it seemed the perfect compromise between small nuggets and depth.

Ian

Wolfau said:
Ian was anyone in your group using a whites gmt?

No one used a Whites GMT. Mostly were 5000's and I think 3500 and 2200. One member used a Garret VLF unit but did not find anything with it.

Ian

Latest posts