Sad Unfortunate News

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ded Driver said:
man & young boy are killed by a falling tree whilst travelling in the Dandenong Ranges, Vic.
This accident was most likely unavoidable, but its a reminder to be wary when travelling, especially in bad weather.
Also think carfeully about where you camp, & look at the surrounding trees for any that are obviously a high risk
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-15/man-and-boy-killed-by-falling-tree-in-sherbrooke/11308564

Good advice DD, Also be wary in burnt out areas, yesterday while fossicking in a partly
burnt out area i heard a k thump, burnt out tree, very large came crashing down.
Pays to very careful and be aware of the unpredictable .

It is a beautiful area but has it's natural dangers. In my case I was driving thru there on an early Sunday morning and struck a patch of black ice. Impossible to see I went straight on into a muddy bank whilst negotiating a sweeping bend in the road.
You never know when your numbers coming up!!

Jaros said:
It is a beautiful area but has it's natural dangers. In my case I was driving thru there on an early Sunday morning and struck a patch of black ice. Impossible to see I went straight on into a muddy bank whilst negotiating a sweeping bend in the road.
You never know when your numbers coming up!!
sheeeet, did you get out that ok Jaros?

Sad story, little they could probably do. I've always been very aware of fickle gums dropping their limbs but the only time I ever saw a limb drop it was a large Norfolk Pine in a caravan park. Thankfully it missed everyone.

Absolutely terrible and the death toll just keeps rising on that stretch of road, I travel that road at least twice a week and see new fallen trees on a very regular basis yet the greens wont allow the most dangerous ones to be removed :mad:

Gravity said:
Absolutely terrible and the death toll just keeps rising on that stretch of road, I travel that road at least twice a week and see new fallen trees on a very regular basis yet the greens wont allow the most dangerous ones to be removed :mad:
Surely they would Gravity.... Otherwise they would be saying the greens killed them ! :eek:

silver said:
Gravity said:

Surely they would Gravity.... Otherwise they would be saying the greens killed them ! :eek:

And yes they did :/

Its the councils ,shires and VIC roads that dont remove the trees not the greens ! Most do have a dangerous tree removal program but not all trees can be identified I get that . it all comes down to cost and they dont want to spend the money and this is the sad sad result . My family and I live in a similar area with 50 mtr trees lining our roads all damaged by black Saturday we plead to Vic roads to take some down and ever windy day they fall its only a matter of time but they do nothing .
Booney.

Same here Booney, my house is surrounded by 300ft gums all within 15mtrs of the house and every morning its a game of cat and mouse with oncoming traffic just to get the car out of the driveway because we cant see past the massive tree trunks , I've complained for years about it but they do nothing :mad:

Often the Councils are wary of removing trees because of the 'green backlash'! We have one up here at the moment, not physically dangerous, but infected with an apparently incurable soil borne fungus. It is right next to the 'Botanical Gardens', full of trees also susceptible, but as soon as they posted a notice that it MAY have to be removed, some bunch of idiots started a petition to 'save' it!

I know it will never happen but maybe the people who sign the petition should be made aware if anyone is hurt or killed because their intervention prevented the tree from being removed that they will be held liable via a class action against them.
Then we would see how many are serious about putting their name to a petition.

Tragic,unfortunately it's a case of several rainy weeks ,sodden grounds followed by high winds,recipe for disaster.
I've forced myself when out detecting to choose wisely where I park.
Have seen a couple of nice 4WD flattened by gums.
In this sad case there was no way to avoid it.

cheers greyhound

Remember when living in Young, the road out to Thuddungra always used to scare the :poop: out of me when it was windy. Huge overhanging trees, :awful: ...friend crashed into a fallen tree on that road one night, breasted a hill and nowhere to go, wrote her car off, she was okay fortunately, but bruised and shaken. Never camp under a big tree, way too many stories of lives lost in a big blow 8.(

Latest posts