Rusty finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
No coins, rare buttons, or pendants today, just some rusty relics.

I've decided to dig everything in the hopes of finding parts to a flintlock gun. So far I've found four different types of early bullets.

My favourite find today would be the large belt buckle (bottom of pic) and the old kettle spout.

1398407540_image.jpg

I like digging up history, got hooked on it as my FT-16000 didn't discriminate, so had little choice but to dig everything.

It is amazing the amount of buckles out there. I would be inclined to make a belt with your favourite one, it would go well with a strap of thick leather.

I have been particularly surprised by the large number of locks, keys and keyholes I have come across, you have proven this is not coincidence....bushranger throw always perhaps??

I have not been lucky enough to come across the chest of treasure that they go with, but I am sure there are some buried on the old goldfields. Keep thinking the high mortality rate must mean there are some good stashes somewhere.

I will be more than happy for you to continue looking for your flintlock an posting you by-catch as I enjoy seeing what comes out of the ground whether shiny or not. Where are these ones from?

Hi wally, how awesome it would be to find a treasure stash in a chest :)

These are from a site I've been detecting near Wagga Wagga, it used to be a homestead from the mid 1800's to the late 1800's.

I like the idea of recycling the belt buckle. I'm not sure id be wearing it, she's huge, and weighs a ton.
It looks to be hand made.
1398427129_image.jpg

Yep, it's a bit bigger than I thought but it would go well with a couple of period six shooters on the hips.

Strap for your detecting bag perhaps? got to make use for it somehow :rolleyes:

Hay Stoney,
I have a question about the stopper (centre left in you pic). I have one very similar.
Is it glass? Did it sound off on the detector?
I picked mine up a while back with my GMT, it was glass and I could never figure out why I was able to find glass with a metal detector.

backcreek said:
Hay Stoney,
I have a question about the stopper (centre left in you pic). I have one very similar.
Is it glass? Did it sound off on the detector?
I picked mine up a while back with my GMT, it was glass and I could never figure out why I was able to find glass with a metal detector.

No it doesn't set my detector off, but there is so much broken glass and pottery/china in a couple of spots at the site, that you can't dig without finding the stuff. I'm thinking of digging these spots completely up in the hope of finding some still intact.

Most of the glass has on opal effect, must be from being underground for so long.
1398477305_image.jpg

Latest posts