running two detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just wondering can you run two detectors the same type side by side or does it interfere with each other?

The spacing to avoid interfering with each other depends on the detectors. For the Minelab GPX units, its 20m to 30m minimum with a mono coil.
I understand that the GPZ and SDC are less susceptible to interference from the GPXes, but the GPZ and SDCs create havoc with the GPX, and again require 20m to 30m separation. Happy to be contradicted though.

BigWave said:
The spacing to avoid interfering with each other depends on the detectors. For the Minelab GPX units, its 20m to 30m minimum with a mono coil.
I understand that the GPZ and SDC are less susceptible to interference from the GPXes, but the GPZ and SDCs create havoc with the GPX, and again require 20m to 30m separation. Happy to be contradicted though.

Yeah good luck trying to swing both ways , oh no what am I saying :lol:

Have found my SDC to be a very unsociable animal . Used within proximity of Whites SPP and GPX 4500 need seperation as noted BW post , even when using my Detecnix pinpointer it plays up within a couple of yards.

was thinking of getting two gpx 4500 for me and wife but have been thinking maybe a 4500 and a sdc for her too use or anyone else that i can get to come

tuner said:
was thinking of getting two gpx 4500 for me and wife but have been thinking maybe a 4500 and a sdc for her too use or anyone else that i can get to come

Sorry tuner, I thought that you were going to hold both machines at the same time not walking side by side with someone else my mistake please forgive me :8

tuner said:

SDC / 4500 was my choice combo to cover all bases great value for money current deals , also enjoy using one for half day then changing up as you have to listen for different things which keeps you fresh mentally.

Good luck which ever way you go :)

Funny you ask this question as I was watching a vid of a kiwi fella testing a GB2 and a Gold Monster right next to each other and I asked how this was so.

Well apparently VLF and PI play well together. He runs his GPZ and GB2 right next to each other when he uses the GB2 to check a deep target or clean out a hole.

So maybe a GPX or GPZ matched with a Gold Monster might be better?

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3797-gold-monster-gold-bug-2-video-footage/

Me and a mate were using 2 MXT's running the 12"/300mm Concentric Coils and I could hear him heading my way within about 100 metres or more, It started with a soft pulsing sound and by time he was within about 30 metres it was right on the limit, within 10 to 20 metres it was totally impossible and time to pack up,

It was funny at first but then one of us had to change machines or go home,

John.

Well that's curious RR. Were they both at the same kHz? Maybe VLF and VLF play well if they are different kHz? MG is 45 and GB2 is 71 or something.

Not a tech head though - just guessing :D

Northeast said:
Well that's curious RR. Were they both at the same kHz? Maybe VLF and VLF play well if they are different kHz? MG is 45 and GB2 is 71 or something.

Not a tech head though - just guessing :D

The MXT's run at 13.889 kHz ( 14 kHz ), I was running mine at the point of running rough and I just backed it off to smooth it out and my mate was running his around the pre set mark which is about 9.5 on the Dial so mine was running at about 10.5. But those big Concentric coils do have some serious power and they are a lot more sensitive than a DD.

The detection field is extremely strong but the machines them selves are Hyper sensitive when you run them up around the pre set position and above, where they can see your Bare hand/ skin at about 6 inches away +/- Using the standard 10"DD, So I think that is why they behaved like they do and those 12"/300 Coils are really pushing it, And on the beach you can't max the Gain right out but because of those Coils you don't need to, I have seen coins come out at 13 and a half inches with the Gain set to 6.5 on a ploughed field So cross talk between the two machines was to be expected really,

hope that helps.

John.

We've been running the GPX4500, SDC2300 and Whites GMT for a couple of years. The SDC and GPX send each other little pulses but at varying distances depending on the day. Some days I can sneak up to about 10m before I here a grumble from the SDC swinger. Other days 50m seems to be the limit so I think it has something to do with the conductivity of the air on the day.

If the SDC comes too close GPX I don't grumble, I just alter the main tune frequency slightly and tune it out. The GMT can play along very close down to as little as three metres to either PI without any problems.

Latest posts