Running a RIVER SLUICE to test for Hi-banking locations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work people

You could apply for head teacher's job at TAFE

" Gold Prospectors course 101 "

thanks for sharing

have you ever thought of taking guided gold tours for the tourist sector ?

probably more appeal from using your time to take home the yellow i guess

good luck out there .

edited : ps do you ever dolly up those heavies like the ironstone you panned to see if you have any fine gold in it ?

Not enough time to spend guiding mate, plus then it would be classified as "work"....and I'm starting to hate that word these days. Don't bother dollying concentrated ironstone, as it's much easier to to just pan a couple of extra pans in the day for the same amount of gold, with a lot less work, (there's that "word" again :( ). Plus got to always leave some for the Gold Gods in the river..lol. :)

Cheers Wal.

Great vid Wal and Liz, I like at the start of the cleanout when you banged
the tray on the drum accents, :), cool production.

The gold was awesome too. The sluice you used Wal, does it capture gem
stones too? Looks like another great Wal inspired treasure capturing device.

Heatho said:
Great vid Wal and Liz, I like at the start of the cleanout when you banged
the tray on the drum accents, :), cool production.

The gold was awesome too. The sluice you used Wal, does it capture gem
stones too? Looks like another great Wal inspired treasure capturing device.

Catches 90% of the Sapphires, Heatho. Just substitutes all that ironstone for Spinel and Gems Mate. ;)

Cheers Wal,

;) nice looks good, great work once again, some of us are made to find gold and others like me just have to drool

No tone ....you couldn't sell me a piece of marine carpet (unless its for my boat). I use the same coarse woven rubber as in my Bankers. "No compromise".

Cheers Wal.

AU Fever said:
Great video again guys :D How much do you reckon it would cost to build?

AU

Scap ally $5.... crate $0..... Piece of expanded (standard will do) $5....2x folds usually free....15 minutes of spare time.....Recon you could build it for the Princely sum of around ten bucks. Served me well over the years. They're bullet proof and light.

Cheers Wal.

Where do I get bread crate from without hangin suspiciously around the back of a bakery?

Our local tip has heaps of slightly damaged ones, and if you go direct to the bakeries, and ask for slightly damaged ones, they'll always give you one....or three.

Cheers Wal.

Hay Wal,

I gots build me one of these seeing as how I don't have a river sluice as I used it in my "Stealthbanker" project.

They are a handy item to have in the arsenal.

Got the ally, bread crate, miners moss, ribbed mat, guillotine and the folder so why not. The only thing I don't have is the walkway mesh.

Can you give us the dimensions, top and bottom width and length.

Can I also ask why you orientated the bred crate at the angle you did? looks different to your highbanker.

I might even upscale it a little :D

Cheers
Mick

Hi Wal,

What is the name of the carpet/miners moss that you use?

I have a sluice that has roughly 10 drop rifles, I plan to reduce that to the 1st 4 & put bread crate/carpet for the rest courtesy of your design.

Cheers, Matt.

backcreek said:
Hay Wal,

I gots build me one of these seeing as how I don't have a river sluice as I used it in my "Stealthbanker" project.

They are a handy item to have in the arsenal.

Got the ally, bread crate, miners moss, ribbed mat, guillotine and the folder so why not. The only thing I don't have is the walkway mesh.

Can you give us the dimensions, top and bottom width and length.

Can I also ask why you orientated the bred crate at the angle you did? looks different to your highbanker.

I might even upscale it a little :D

Cheers
Mick

If your only running it for gold then the normal expanded sloped mesh will work fine Mick. The crate cut outs are at a flatter angle as the water flow over the riffles is less than half that of the banker. Tried different combinations for different water speeds and have based my cutouts to suit what i found worked best.

So long as you keep a reasonable flair on the unit the length can be what best suits the area you work. I keep mine to the smaller scale of things as i only use it for sampling and quite often carry it a long way on a purpose built back pack. Best of luck Mick,

Cheers Wal.

Matt The Magic Man said:
Hi Wal,

What is the name of the carpet/miners moss that you use?

I have a sluice that has roughly 10 drop rifles, I plan to reduce that to the 1st 4 & put bread crate/carpet for the rest courtesy of your design.

Cheers, Matt.

Nothing wrong with drop riffle sluices Matt. My advice would be to leave it as is. You're better off with it in low water flow areas. A raised riffle is better in high water flow creeks. By combining a "Drop" with a "Raised" riffle one or the other won't work to its full efficiency given a constant water flow.

If you do decide to use a raised riffle of any sort make sure you use a coarse rubber woven mat, and don't let anybody try to convince you to use carpet,(my opinion only).

Latest posts