rubyvale gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had had any luck at rubyvale detecting for gold rather then gems?
As my neigbour has a mate who has an.untouched lease for us to play on and my neigbour also has the excavator bobcat and tipper for us to move some decent dirt.
But while they are playing around for gems I was hoping there was some gold around to detect out.
From what little I can find is rubyvale crosses some alluvial grounds, so just wondering if anybody had had luck there.

I've never found any there myself BrisJoe (but then I've only ever been chasing sapphires there, not gold) but when our family had a couple of claims just behind Rubyvale at Russian Gully (Divide) one of the people who lived on a claim just up the hill had a nice sapphire-studded gold crucifix which I'm sure he said was made from gold that he had found there. I have heard a few other people say that there is gold there but that's about as much as I know.

Haha well I get my detector this week coming so it will be soon my friend.
Just got to organise it with my neigbour and his mate.
I go on 6/6 roster next month so will have plenty of time spare to spend 3-5 days out there digging and sifting and detecting

Hi Brisjoe,

We have family out at Rubyvale and we go out there twice a year for six weeks at a time and have done so for 20+ years and yes we look for gold too while out there, have found about $6000 worth in that time(20 years) but not all in the same area. From Rubyvale town outskirts to Tomahawk creek and out to the highway.

Good luck, with a modern metal detector you may do ok, we have been using a bounty hunter that is 10 years old.

Watch out for the mining trucks though!

Bob.

NavyBob said:
Hi Brisjoe,

We have family out at Rubyvale and we go out there twice a year for six weeks at a time and have done so for 20+ years and yes we look for gold too while out there, have found about $6000 worth in that time(20 years) but not all in the same area. From Rubyvale town outskirts to Tomahawk creek and out to the highway.

Good luck, with a modern metal detector you may do ok, we have been using a bounty hunter that is 10 years old.

Watch out for the mining trucks though!

Bob.

I would love six weeks at a time to dig! I can get three two-week blocks in the cooler half of the year.....but if I spent them all on the field she-who-must-be-obeyed would have something to say about that. It sucks a bit when one person loves fossicking but the other half is utterly allergic to dirt. Likes the shiny, sparkly things that come out of the dirt, but as for actually getting in and digging........

Will probably need to park a 5-star donga on the claim to entice her out there.

Lol I too have a SWMBO who is allergic to anything remotly fun.
I will have the benefit of being able to dig large hole with the excavator so I'm not limited to just scanning the surface and speccing.
Just got to build some sort of large shaker screen or trommel to fast process the dirt.

Any suggestions what the best peice of equipment would be best suited for the task that can be loadded with a 3t ekky?
And once we have processed for gems, I can then scan the excess dirt for gold and hope any nuggets get causght in the screens as well

Gday BrisJoe,

A couple of years back I heard talk of a 1 ounce slug being found in a sapphire mining plant not far from the old Mt Clifford gold mine. I did not see the nugget, so cannot confirm the rumour as being true or not there is a saying here on the gemfields, if you havent heard a good rumour by 10 am then start one. I think that would apply to most mining fields.

At Mount Clifford, west of the Graves Hill fossicking area, gold was mined intermittently from 1896 to 1902 and again intermittently for a few years after 1926 but it appears that very little gold had been produced. The gold occurred in hydrothermally-altered slates caught up in a diorite intrusion and also in veins in the diorite. This area was first worked for silver in lodes associated with bornite, hematite, azurite, and malachite. The oxidized ores are in all cases highly ferruginous.

Nuggety gold has been detected in some places between Rubyvale and Clermont along the back road and also in a couple of locations close to Capella. Fine flour gold in minute quantities can be found in tailings from sapphire mining plants, but very few miners here would be geared up to recover it.

One thing to be aware of if you are going to try for gold on a sapphire claim/lease is that to legally recover the gold or any mineral, it has to be listed on the original tenement application. I would say that most claim/lease holders would have listed gold and diamonds on their applications as well as sapphires & zircons. It is not something that would be actively policed by any mines inspectors, but it is best to be covered legally in case some mongrel decides to report what they believe to be illegal activity it happens a lot out here.

Jeff

Hello all,
I'm sitting here on Saturday morning going through these post's and came across this post. About 3 years ago, just before my accident I was out at The Willows and a friend of mine was getting good gold (10+ ounces) every week at a little creek,west of Zamia State forest about 25kms from The willows. Dry most of year except for rainy season around Christmas time. So if you are out that way already maybe you could run out there it's not too far from Anakie anyway.

Cheers Paul.

BrisJoe said:
Lol I too have a SWMBO who is allergic to anything remotly fun.
I will have the benefit of being able to dig large hole with the excavator so I'm not limited to just scanning the surface and speccing.
Just got to build some sort of large shaker screen or trommel to fast process the dirt.

Any suggestions what the best peice of equipment would be best suited for the task that can be loadded with a 3t ekky?
And once we have processed for gems, I can then scan the excess dirt for gold and hope any nuggets get causght in the screens as well

Hay Joe,
Get one of these, it should up your yardage.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDeop9-tgU[/video]

Hey Joe, have you seen the flip screen attachments? I'm having a bit of a stab in the dark, someone posted one attached to a bobcat a while back and the 20t hyandai my old boss owned had this attachment cost was 25k new, just a wild shot but food for thought, I'm sure once your done it could be sold off again, mesh sizes go down pretty small, he used his to screen out metals that got pounded into the dirt whilst processing car bodies, pretty amazing what they can do/screen, possible second income from it, and way more mobile. I understand its only half the puzzle but thought I'd mention it for your consideration.

Good idea on a dry blower
Now just to buy 1 but 830 is a bit steep for the keene from wa without a blower.
Anybody know of any 2nd hand ones going or have the plans to build a simple 1