Ross River Virus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rodking said:
Don't believe every thing said about RRV, you will most likely be OK with no long term affects.

You may be right, Rodking, but there's a better than even chance that you are not. Records indicate that more than 50% of those affected by RRV will suffer relapses for a couple of years with approximately 10% suffering for many years.

I contracted the virus in 2016 and have had 3 relapses since, each being just as severe as the original dose.

Jeff

My sister was travelling through Queensland some years back and came down with a bit of a fever, she went to the doctors and he said it could be RRV. She has forever told everyone she has had the disease but she was never tested for it. Without a test it is impossible to know for sure whether you have had it.
A friend of mine retired from work at 60 and started to have some medical problems, his doctor sent him for just about every known test and one of the things that came back was that he had previously had the RRV. He had not known that he had been infected and it had caused him no known medical problems.
Just like the flu it seems to affect some more than others.

Magilla said:
My sister was travelling through Queensland some years back and came down with a bit of a fever, she went to the doctors and he said it could be RRV. She has forever told everyone she has had the disease but she was never tested for it. Without a test it is impossible to know for sure whether you have had it.
A friend of mine retired from work at 60 and started to have some medical problems, his doctor sent him for just about every known test and one of the things that came back was that he had previously had the RRV. He had not known that he had been infected and it had caused him no known medical problems.
Just like the flu it seems to affect some more than others.

Yes, Magilla, a blood test is the only way to determine whether or not it is RRV.

I've also known people who have had blood tests for unrelated issues and the fact that they have had RRV at some time has shown up even though they have not demonstrated any of the classic symptoms or suffered in any way. It just goes to show that some people are more resistant to particular viruses than others.

Jeff

There are also quite a few mosquito Bourne bugs, similar to RRV all over the world, another one is from SE Asia is called Chikungunya. And I'm sure there are a few that havnt been named or identified yet.
Good news for me, is my back just clicked back in with instant relief.
The aches from RR are all but gone, so i reckon I'm 80-90% good now!
I really hope I'm one of those that dosnt get a relapse SNAFU, those aches were bloody terrible!

https://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/symptoms/index.html

BEWARE, since the rains we had in the Gt a few weeks ago we are inundated with mossies and their savage . Two of my friends who live local have contracted ross river virus so be aware and take precautions.
Jim :mad: :N: :/

My wife Carolyn gets zapped all the time yet i hardly ever get pricked by them-why , I don't know, but it's a great relief--maybe blood type or %alcohol in the system????

Jaros said:
My wife Carolyn gets zapped all the time yet i hardly ever get pricked by them-why , I don't know, but it's a great relief--maybe blood type or %alcohol in the system????

I'm pretty safe as well if Mrs M is close by. Could be BO :eek:

Ross river is a bastard of a disease my ex got it one xmas camped on the murrey river and it took 4 years to abate, it was cruel to watch her in the morning trying to get moving and loosen up her ankles and knees. My brother in law who was with us also got it but got over it in 6 months. Go figger.
Jim

Latest posts