Eurobodalla South coast. My experience+ Looking for Prospecting buddy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first post! Travelling slowly through the area and decided to get a gold bug pro (a real one $1300). Stayed at Batemans for a few weeks and hit Mogo many times but no luck did the east side of the highway no luck either. Been reading some old posts about east of the highway (2012) but its all probably changed now really hard to access anywhere! Same goes for the drive out to Buckenborwa. I know the saying goes about persistence but bloody hell, Ive put weeks in and neary a skerik. At this point I would be happy to see a crumb! Stayed a Broulee and studied the history. Hoping to find some coins at the island at the old pub but someone had been way ahead of me, just got lots of ticks....EWWW. I must admit the history side has been the most rewarding. Met some beach detecting guys and they gave me some great tips in Batemans (I suspect they are on here too). Today I went out along the Moruya/deua river and boy is it DRY! I bought a sluice but regret it as there are no creeks running. Met many nice locals who have been in the region for decades and they say its scary dry never seen before. Again with the access to the river all locked out lots of signs keep out. I really have put in some coin and many days but am dogged determination gonna find at least some colour! Staying a Moruya now for a few weeks and heading out to Nerrigundah s a ranger and locals said its good out there. Got me some snake gators as totally paranoid, ran into a black snake at a water hole in Candoin creek. Ohh and the flies! Most rewarding finding the old mine there with sheds and crusher shed (local farm lady said someone stole the crusher...buggers). , but no gold. Well I would like to hookup with a partner out here if anyone is keen. Im gonna find something one one of these days. Any tips on the area would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hi bud welcome to the forums. Mate finding gold is hard now matter where you look. The south coast is even harder with steep and scrubby bushland in most cases eliminating detectors. Saying that there's plenty of creeks to pan, but you have to think smart, dig your own dam so to speak, and let the water avaliable soak thorough. Bloody hard work.
Me I'm waiting for a good down poor before I go anywhere.
All those places have gold. You need Research ,patients, time.
Happy hunting

Thanks Skip, currently researching my backside off, really enjoying the area, just wish it wasnt so dry and dusty! Lucky to have the luxury of time on my side, if nothing else!

Hi Alex Bunyip.
My family live at Broulee so I venture there a few times every year. This winter I spent a day detecting the muddy sides of Mogo creek. Found one piece. Next time I will hit Mogo creek again. The creek is flogged to death but Im sure theres plenty small bits floating around. As per the older threads, try Mogo creek a few kms west of the main freeway along Buckenbowra rd. The areas round mogo creek has been deforested so theres plenty of entry points. Im dare not venture near the creek in summer because of snakes and be very careful on the island because my family have seen an assortment of nasty snakes there, even near the sand dunes.

My mother horse rides in mogo state forest and she knows of a few old mines sites in there, deep shafts i think.

Thanks Derka. I noticed the ground turned to very yellow sand with quartz in the main mining area. Do you guys think the road changing colour to yellow is one good indicator to look for?

Yeah its floating in the dry dirt now. I dont know about the change in soil colour but apparently its one sign.

I did go to Mogo creek and the area was chewed up then lots of rubbish like a tip...sad really how they are logging the whole area and we cant high bank! I did my fuel tank on a stump trying to get out...$1000 later ouch...bloody hell

Oh man! Yeah its a pretty smashed up area.
Try along Jeremadra creek too. Last time I was there I saw water in it.

Latest posts