Rock Slab Saw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I scored a free tile cutting saw which I'm planning on using the motor for a homemade rock slabbing saw, but I don't have access to an existing saw to work from. Does anyone have plans for one they'd be willing to share?

G'day mate, Im thinking along the same lines but I want to make mine portable so I can use it in the field and have it powered by a generator. I work on cattle properties and have seen some interesting rocks from time to time which I would love to hack up, for example petrified cypress pine, beautiful when polished. I've seen powered hacksaws converted to slab saws. Maybe convert an old table saw, I'll see what I can find on the net.
:) Mick

axeman said:
G'day mate, Im thinking along the same lines but I want to make mine portable so I can use it in the field and have it powered by a generator. I work on cattle properties and have seen some interesting rocks from time to time which I would love to hack up, for example petrified cypress pine, beautiful when polished. I've seen powered hacksaws converted to slab saws. Maybe convert an old table saw, I'll see what I can find on the net.

if you want one for field use then why not just put a cheap diamond blade on an angle grinder ?

they are best used as a wet cut though , so consider the safety aspect of water around 240v power tools or use a rechargable

there are also waterproof grinders used for marble polishing that you could put a blade on

how big is the stuff you want to cut through ?

Like the way you think knigsy, have one in a box in the shed, if it can be modified to accept a bigger blade it should do the trick on a very slow feed rate. I am glad it is on your 2014 project list, mine is full up.

As an alternative I have been thinking I may be able to cut double the thickness by using plasticine, a bit of Perspex on top of the rock, flip it over for a second cut. Then grind the imperfect cut flat, as I am sure it would be far from matching perfectly. But hey I like to dodgy things a bit.

If you come across an ultra-thin replacement blade I would be interested to see how it goes on trimming the initial dop face on a sapphire.

Keep us posted on your progress 8)

G'day Headsup, The rocks in question would range from gob-stopper, golf ball size and the odd one up to bowling ball size. Now how's this for an idea, a concrete saw with a diamond tipped blade mounted on a adjustable pedestal for the biggens and a smaller version for the smaller ones. The next trick (stunt) would be to hold them maybe a machinist vice?.

axeman said:
G'day Headsup, The rocks in question would range from gob-stopper, golf ball size and the odd one up to bowling ball size. Now how's this for an idea, a concrete saw with a diamond tipped blade mounted on a adjustable pedestal for the biggens and a smaller version for the smaller ones. The next trick (stunt) would be to hold them maybe a machinist vice?.

steel jaws on rock dont go well together

i would look at rubber faced or timber faced jaws on any vice

timber jaws with hollows or indentations to grip the rounded ones maybe ?

hasnt someone made them before ?

Yes I was thinking about the grip of the vice jaws and i was thinking of same things as you, could try nylon or that stuff the make suspension bushes out of. Going to scrounge through the archives on here to see what I can find. :)

I use rock saws every day at work we only hold the rock with hands on a sliding table with wheels under it . I will try tomorrow to get some pictures for you how they work :)

all have water flow to the blade

here are some pictures if they will help

1389248180_gedc2900.jpg

1389248197_gedc2901.jpg

1389248210_gedc2902.jpg

1389248226_gedc2903.jpg

1389248242_gedc2905.jpg

1389248261_gedc2906.jpg

For a portable unit at bunnnnnings they have a small tile cutter that is wet. The water holds in a reservoir that cools the diamond blade. From memory was like $100 they sell it as a wet tile saw. You would still need to do some investagation into some proper blades as the ones they sell for trade hack rather than smooth cut. Google lapidary supplies.

Hi Mate, 'YOU TUBE' is your answer, just type in 'DIY gem stone saw' and you have it. You Tube is a great source for the DIY enthusiast.

Latest posts