Rock/mineral identification please help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, found this little rock in the bottom of the pan, even panning slightly aggressively it would stay in the bottom with the small gold I was getting, just wondering if someone could help me out with what it might be. Opaque dark gun metal grey colour, Found in northeast Vic, granite creeks,I think volcanic geology aswell, havnt found any gems there before. Hope that helps
Thanks
1464505676_image.jpeg

1464505776_image.jpeg

Was just reading some of your older post about granite ;) . It's non magnetic and light doesn't pass through it....

It looks similar except this has a more flat colour, kind of like slag when welding

How to do a specific gravity test should be a sticky on this thread . I'll add some other identification info when have some time ...:)

I'll get onto that Barney, I might just make it a stone identification sticky thread, what do you think? Then you can just add what you think are the best tests that people can perform at home?

Latest posts