Rock ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy like Lead or not quite or feels like a rock for its size..... A pic on a scale is no help to me as im not there... What im getting at is it could be Galena...
Galena is very heavy as its a member of the 'Lead' family...

A in-focus closer pic will help and a rough location is even better as we can narrow down what it is..

LW...

Smokey quartz has a hardness of 7 and volcanic glass (obsidian) 5 -5.5 on the mohs scale.
if you can scratch it with corundum sand paper or a masonary bit but not with a steel nail then it is most likely quartz. Obsidian will be easily scratched by a known piece of quartz or even a steel nail.
If all fails the Museum of Victoria (probably other states as well) has a minerals identification service. 1648161379419.png

Last edited:
Smokey quartz has a hardness of 7 and volcanic glass (obsidian) 5 -5.5 on the mohs scale.
if you can scratch it with corundum sand paper or a masonary bit but not with a steel nail then it is most likely quartz. Obsidian will be easily scratched by a known piece of quartz or even a steel nail.
If all fails the Museum of Victoria (probably other states as well) has a minerals identification service. View attachment 468
thanks mate, yeah waiting for Museum Vic to get back to me

I believe it's quartz, as others have said. A diagnostic feature is the conchoidal fracture that's especially evident just above the middle finger. Some of the smaller crystals are oriented that they show, on close inspection, a hexagonal shape and there are other crystal faces visible. Obsidian is a glass, no crystal structure visible and is uniformly black ... that is to say, this not a volcanic glass.

Heavy like Lead or not quite or feels like a rock for its size..... A pic on a scale is no help to me as im not there... What im getting at is it could be Galena...
Galena is very heavy as its a member of the 'Lead' family...

A in-focus closer pic will help and a rough location is even better as we can narrow down what it is..

LW...

Going by you pics, Smokey Quartz Cluster with Host quartz and 'rock' with it... There is a bit of 'reflection' in some pics so .... My Guess... Your Picture No 3 is the right Orientation For your Sample...

LW...

Last edited:

Latest posts