Roadside Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Often when I'm heading to a specific location to do some prospecting, I'll detour to have a look at other areas. Many a time I just want to compare the ground with what I have read or looked at on Google Earth. Knowing that everything is located on private property, I have sometimes had a quick swing on the roadside. Making damn sure to stay on the correct side of the fence. Often there are wide strips of land for the roadway, making for a decent area to sweep. Am I the only one?
The images show the type of areas I am discussing.
1607828036_roadside_detecting_1.jpg
1607828066_roadside_detecting_2.jpg

The example is the Possum Hill Goldfield, but roads cut through countless goldfields and we all know that it pays to think outside the box. Again I'm focusing on the roadside, under no circumstances infringing on private land.

This spot shows a public road cutting through a very rich nugget patch, again public road surrounded by private land. About three meters to the fence on on one side and close to fifty meters on the other. So some potential for a good swing..
1607829035_roadside_a.jpg
1607829048_roadside_b.jpg
1607829060_roadside_c.jpg

My understanding is that folks detect tracks and trails without drama, so what is the deal with roadsides?

Should point out I'm talking about strips of land next to the road, but not detecting near the road or on the road, not on sealed roads. Using a bit of sense and not going out and asking to be noticed or cause a fuss. I work on the principle that if you are discreet a bit of a poke about is ok but it shouldn't infringe on public roadworks, private property or bring about undue scrutiny or interest...

Not sure of the local council regulations (Victoria) but have most definitely detected these roadside verges (is that what they're called) in a few different areas, some successfully some I've had to give up on because there's too much junk. Never been approached by anyone but like I said not sure about regulations that could "outlaw" it ...... I'll keep going till told otherwise.

One area struck up a conversation with the adjoining landowner who was coming home .... he certainly had no issue with my being/detecting there ..... only regret I hadn't gotten around to asking about detecting on his property before he drove on, opportunity missed??

Named/numbered tracks I'd not detect on, they're usually forestry/CFA tracks ..... bush tracks cut by bikes/4X4's, no issue they shouldn't be there anyway.

Cheers T.

Been there done that, but not as much as I should have, great opportunities there k65.

On one remote track/road in WA, the grader had taken a skim off the road and there was a 30cm high bank by the road side edge (and higher than the ground out from the road), found 3 nugg in this skim. No doubt there is still gold buried in the road but I left it for others.

Re (One area struck up a conversation with the adjoining landowner who was coming home .... he certainly had no issue with my being/detecting there ..... only regret I hadn't gotten around to asking about detecting on his property before he drove on, opportunity missed??)

Ditto talking to Land owners in the GT at Petrol Stations over the years recall getting on well with 2 at different times... and opportunity's missed, and another when detecting by the roadside invited to try his adjoining paddock which I did.

Latest posts