Research - Just Do It

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Been doing some research on the goldfields of the southern end of the Northern Tablelands. I came across a Geologists report from 1853 that documented the travels of a state geologist moving around the area bounded by the Cockburn Goldfields in the south and the Rocky River Goldfields in the north. Basically the general gist of the document was that all creeks draining into the Gwydir, Mcdonald and Cockburn contained gold in some numbers this particular creek carried enough that it was worked by diggers. The worked section is all private property now and difficult to access but the section I was on was easily accessed by a road bridge. I also found a nice tourmaline in quartz specimen and a few light coloured zircons (assumed to be)

[video=640,480]http://youtu.be/7NQ-5AO-vxU[/video]

Nice vid mate. There nice sized flakes considering the main workings are fair distance from the bridge. Might have to go visit the landowner across the road with some beer ;)

DD

I drove the road that goes past the main diggings (quite a few km away) houses were quite close to the road. Couldn't see any potholing but there was a couple of 'eroded' gullies. Very flat typical tablelands gullies.

I'm just not sure if it is worth it when another 15 minutes in the car puts me onto ground like what you showed me the other day...

Congratulations Ben always good when hard won research pays off. Hope to meet you out on the goldfields sometime, I'm going to concentrate around the border country Tooloom, Urbenville, rocky river. I've been doing a tonne of research on that area since I got my NSW fossicking permit. It's amazing how much info NSW makes available online and how many fossicking areas NSW provides compared to QLD. QLD Govt. is way behind the times compared with NSW in terms of encouraging Geotourism / Fossicking.

Yeah, NSW does have its good points. We can't do small claims though which would be nice at times...

I know a gully or two that a dingo and a detector would go hand in hand

Now that is one perfect example of crevice rock bar acting like a sluice bar.. the slop and all are perfect. good luck with the rest of the clean out.

Cheers, Tone

Latest posts