Regulations On Removing Big Nuggets?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhunter62 said:
Eng888 said:
Does anyone know the rule if you find a huge nugget that you cant lift without a crane ?

I was told we are not supposed to use mechanical means to procure gold but if its over 200 kg for examle and we dont have a mate handy to help lift it are we aloud to use a crane or whats the go ?

i heard about guys getting in trouble for using pumps in QLD so whats the go with a truck crane in WA ? ( Pilbarra )

I would think that a bit of common sense from the DMIRS would have to come into play.

Cheers

Doug

Sorry Doug...those day's are long gone.

Eng888 said:
Does anyone know the rule if you find a huge nugget that you cant lift without a crane ?

I was told we are not supposed to use mechanical means to procure gold but if its over 200 kg for examle and we dont have a mate handy to help lift it are we aloud to use a crane or whats the go ?

i heard about guys getting in trouble for using pumps in QLD so whats the go with a truck crane in WA ? ( Pilbarra )

It's only my opinion but I would consider use of a crane illegal mining. I would be more concerned that you haven't left yourself wide open by asking the question on here. So....if the 'nugget' was found legally...then continue to work within the act/regulations and keep any machinary out of it....then enjoy life without ever having to work again.

The Welcome stranger was "only" 97 Kgs. So as it sets the only precedent for such a huge nugget, cut it in half, get a few of your mates to help you load it onto a dray and take two trips to the local blacksmith to cut it up on his/her anvil? :playful:

Seriously though, you'd be pushing it nowadays I think to find anything even near the size of the Welcome Stranger, and that was handled manually. Surely whatever you find, you could just use a hand operated chain block and tackle and some slings?

P.S. The Holtermann nugget/specimen had a gross weight of 285 Kgs and was found at around 55 metres deep, and I doubt there was any kind of crane used to get that out of the ground back in 1872

Deepseeker said:
The Welcome stranger was "only" 97 Kgs. So as it sets the only precedent for such a huge nugget, cut it in half, get a few of your mates to help you load it onto a dray and take two trips to the local blacksmith to cut it up on his/her anvil? :playful:

Seriously though, you'd be pushing it nowadays I think to find anything even near the size of the Welcome Stranger, and that was handled manually. Surely whatever you find, you could just use a hand operated chain block and tackle and some slings?

P.S. The Holtermann nugget/specimen had a gross weight of 285 Kgs and was found at around 55 metres deep, and I doubt there was any kind of crane used to get that out of the ground back in 1872

The Welcome Stranger was 72 kg, but that was after they trimmed the attached quartz off it. Likewise the Holtermann nugget was 290 kg but only had an estimated gold content of 93 kg (and it broke into a few pieces hauling it up the shaft). My wife and I have just moved house and are amazed that anyone would be worried about finding a way to lift 200 kg - even the old VW beetle was 5 times that! I would be in like Flynn with a loader and have it out of there so fast that your eyes would water.....

goldierocks said:
Deepseeker said:

The Welcome Stranger was 72 kg, but that was after they trimmed the attached quartz off it. Likewise the Holtermann nugget was 290 kg but only had an estimated gold content of 93 kg (and it broke into a few pieces hauling it up the shaft). My wife and I have just moved house and are amazed that anyone would be worried about finding a way to lift 200 kg - even the old VW beetle was 5 times that! I would be in like Flynn with a loader and have it out of there so fast that your eyes would water.....

and that was the point I was getting at....if you do it your way...and get caught...then its gold theft and guess who owns the gold?...WA....if you do it legal then there are no issues.....but I get your point.....after I shat myself....cried.....had a heart attack....I'd be tempted myself!

G'day

The reality is you would not really know what you would do unless you find yourself in that situation, given that gold has an effect on people whether they admit it or not I reckon most would find a way to move it and never tell a soul about it if you were smart, there are many stories about of people finding large nuggets and hiding them until a later date when they have felt it safe to dispose of it, one bloke here in WA from Geraldton I believe found a nice lump somewhere in the murchison area and had it buried in the back yard under the washing line for some years.

From past experience I have learnt that doing the right thing can leave one holding the chitty end of the stick :mad: because there is always someone out there ready to take advantage of your luck and honesty.

cheers

stayyerAU

Hire a car trailer with a winch dig a run in for the trailer ,in the front of the nugget and HAND WHINED it onto the trailer job done legal.think if I found something like that I would of had it out of there in no time flat and had it up for sale within a week .PP

StayyerAU said:
G'day

From past experience I have learnt that doing the right thing can leave one holding the chitty end of the stick :mad: because there is always someone out there ready to take advantage of your luck and honesty.

cheers

stayyerAU

Very true I'm afraid....I guess that's what integrity is all about???

A few years ago, two fellas got done for illegal mining around Leonora. As well as a visit to the local court house etc etc, all their gold(around 40oz I believe) was confiscated. Point to be noted was that their find was on an active E and for $25.00 they could have been legal and have kept the lot...and more! Maybe that was the real justice in the case?

So just to be clear if you have a 40e on an exploration you get to keep what you find even after you submit the where and how much to the holder.

Is that an automatic written agreement by obtaining the 40e or do you require a written agreement from the holder as well before you proceed ?

Gem in I said:
So just to be clear if you have a 40e on an exploration you get to keep what you find even after you submit the where and how much to the holder.

Is that an automatic written agreement by obtaining the 40e or do you require a written agreement from the holder as well before you proceed ?

The 40E permit allows you to prospect/camp etc on the live E...whatever you find...you keep. Hand tools only of course....1000oz....no probs. No written agreement with the leaseholder....the leaseholder has no say in the process. You are required under the terms of the licence to give exact locations of any finds...unfortunately there is over a 90% non-compliance rate with this request and one reason why the 40E permit should be done away with in my opinion (I'll put my helmet on). On the other side of the coin....the permit holder has to stay at least 100m away from any exploration activities...now....if you came to me and said you had found a 200kg nugget on my lease, I would be within my rights to tell you to move on as I am conducting exploration activities in this spot now. So....I think you may want to do whatever work you plan to and then tell me.....or be like the 90% that don't comply with the law.

I'll say this now before I start to get hammered....we have had many 40E's put on our tenements and only ever received two 'returns'....one smartarse posted back a map of the tenement with a large "X' over the whole page...the other rang me up...sent through the details of a patch they had found....and years later they
still go out onto our ground and we still have a good arrangement. They get ground to work and I get the information.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
Gem in I said:

The 40E permit allows you to prospect/camp etc on the live E...whatever you find...you keep. Hand tools only of course....1000oz....no probs. No written agreement with the leaseholder....the leaseholder has no say in the process. You are required under the terms of the licence to give exact locations of any finds...unfortunately there is over a 90% non-compliance rate with this request and one reason why the 40E permit should be done away with in my opinion (I'll put my helmet on). On the other side of the coin....the permit holder has to stay at least 100m away from any exploration activities...now....if you came to me and said you had found a 200kg nugget on my lease, I would be within my rights to tell you to move on as I am conducting exploration activities in this spot now. So....I think you may want to do whatever work you plan to and then tell me.....or be like the 90% that don't comply with the law.

I'll say this now before I start to get hammered....we have had many 40E's put on our tenements and only ever received two 'returns'....one smartarse posted back a map of the tenement with a large "X' over the whole page...the other rang me up...sent through the details of a patch they had found....and years later they
still go out onto our ground and we still have a good arrangement. They get ground to work and I get the information.
Just to clarify, 40E's also limit digging to a max depth of 2 metres, so the 200kg nug better be close to the surface :)
As its also on a miners right, the limit on removing 20kg max of minerals applies.
I always do my "Minerals Recovered" form...even if I didnt find anything. Its the ethical thing to do.

My experience with one lease holder (iv'e only been on one so far) was he was very appreciative because he knew from my info where he could move his machinery to. I thought it benefited both ways as you explained no need for a helmet all good.

I haven't read about 40e for a couple of years and it was kicking around on another post recently as well.

Latest posts