Regulations On Removing Big Nuggets?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the rule if you find a huge nugget that you cant lift without a crane ?

I was told we are not supposed to use mechanical means to procure gold but if its over 200 kg for examle and we dont have a mate handy to help lift it are we aloud to use a crane or whats the go ?

i heard about guys getting in trouble for using pumps in QLD so whats the go with a truck crane in WA ? ( Pilbarra )

I think in NSW you can only remove 1 oz. per day . So don't tell any body .

mbasko said:
Just get a hammer & chisel then break it up into liftable pieces :rolleyes:
Are you for real?

then its worth less per kilo and is damaged as a historical artifact . are you for real ?

so this place is like facebook where people get dumped on here for asking honest questions ?

Mike678 said:
I think in NSW you can only remove 1 oz. per day . So don't tell any body .
Nah one nugget of 200kg would be fine. The 48hr prescribed amount is 50 grams of gold (except where found as nuggets of 10 grams or greater), or5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater of gold.
pffft :rolleyes: :p

Eng888 said:
mbasko said:
Are you for real?

then its worth less per kilo and is damaged as a historical artifact . are you for real ?

so this place is like facebook where people get dumped on here for asking honest questions ?
Ask a stupid question......
Good luck finding a 200kg nugget but if you did :lol: then as long as you dug it out using hand tools lifting it onto a truck with a crane etc. wouldn't be considered mechanical excavation or processing.

Eng888 said:
mbasko said:
Are you for real?

I guess the decision would be if the premium for having a single piece is enough to offset the loss of any chance to cash it out quietly.

Eng888 said:
Does anyone know the rule if you find a huge nugget that you cant lift without a crane ?

I was told we are not supposed to use mechanical means to procure gold but if its over 200 kg for examle and we dont have a mate handy to help lift it are we aloud to use a crane or whats the go ?

i heard about guys getting in trouble for using pumps in QLD so whats the go with a truck crane in WA ? ( Pilbarra )

I would think that a bit of common sense from the DMIRS would have to come into play.

Cheers

Doug

Even a man and his mate can't lift a 200kg nugget between them without both of them busting a gut, but the problem isn't unsolvable. As far as I know the ancient Egyptians didn't have access to tower cranes when they built the pyramids!

Simple leverage will go a long way towards moving heavy stuff and the longer the lever the better. :power:

A tow strap with a 4WD at the other end and a ramp of dirt, rocks and logs would get a nugget (more likely a specimen, I'd guess), to a loadable height at a pinch. I reckon I could just about manage that task in the bush single-handed in a day or two.

I think if you check your miner's right limit you might just have to leave it behind :lol:

I've dreamed of such an occurrence on many occasion (while detecting and day dreaming) and worked out a method of raising it using the vehicles suspension airbags to get it to a workable level then a little digging for the rear wheels would have the tailgate at the correct height to work it inside. I would most definitely achieve it without raising any interest from an outside source :)

Get your self some pipe and a chain block .. you should be able to lift more than 200kg if you set it up correctly.
1609019339_0026dd6c-835b-4d34-b013-4231934ad0d6.jpg

I would cover it up and scatter some metal around to confuse others. Race home and borrow my mates trailer, load my tractor on. It can lift 300 kilos. Go back at 1.00 am and dig it out. Yes, I know that's naughty.
Also highly unlikely. I thought I did well with a 6 1/2 oz bit. :goldnugget:

Are you claiming to have found a 200kg nugget? Just trying to establish whether you're full of crap or not.

200kg can easily be lifted by 2 or 3 strong men though.

Latest posts