Recording while detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Reaction score
Just wondering how the people do video of their finds as they go. Have watched a lot on utube. The ones done on a tripod are usually the best as they allow a look at the overall picture and are steady and on some the narrative going on is also clear and informative and without a lot of swearing, muttering is ok. Others are done on the shaft of the detector and unless the camera is turned each time towards the area being dug a lot can be missed. The last ones seem to be hand held, some are good, but looking at what you are doing and also keeping the recording device on what is going on looks to be frustrating also if the ground is hard unless you have extra good muscles in one arm for what ever reason that would be very tiring if the item being dug was located deep.

So my question is how would it be possible to carry a tripod as most clips/loops on my detecting belt seem to have something attached to them and other than a attachment on the strap from the shoulders down to the battery carrier on the minelab belt I am unable to come up with any other way of transporting one. I have a problem that I like to wander once I start detecting and have been seen about 1.5 kms away from the car, just one of those thing, you never know what is over the other side of the hill unless you have a look. :pickshovel:

Doug, The other half has her own detector and likes to stay close of the car, uses a gps and is happy to wander over one hill, but no further. Did have her do a video of a trip we did once, but the camera was waved from one side of the car to the other side and we nearly got seasick watching it, so I would prefer to do it myself, at least if it goes wrong there is no one else to blame.

I have a head mount and a gorillapod. These are great little tripods with flexible legs. You can wrap them a branch etc. I have had a cam mounted on the detector shaft.

1545874631_gorillapod_5k.jpg

If you're after a rock steady video you'll need to mount a gimble to the top of your detector. Some expensive some.not so.
They come in various sizes for all types of cameras. Most drones use them to produce lovely shots.
Every Wedding videographers dream!

1545879405_screenshot_20181227-135217_chrome.jpg

I haven't done any filming recently, though previously found it perfectly fine to just use either my mobile or Olympus tough camera for footage.

I plan to do some more filming in future and ended up purchasing a DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimbal for more stable filming. It also has a track feature to enable your phone to follow you whilst extracting targets, though if alone you have to use the forward facing camera to be to able to access the screen. It also has a mount on the bottom for a tripod, I just need to get a smaller to carry around.

Most decent phones also have active stabilisers to reduce small movements/camera shake, so they are pretty versatile. You can also get a Go-pro mount if you already own one.

1545902280_img_20181227_194732.jpg

Ok, thanks for the replies. I have looked at the options offered and whilst some money is available I have opted to try and use what I have on hand instead of buying something that may only get used one time and then put in the cupboard along with a lot of the other things I have collected over the years.

So I came up with following, it has 25mm webbing sewn to the back strap with clip buckles to hold it in place. The model wearing it is a shorter version of the person who normally uses it, but it does not bump my head when in place and will not fall out/off. The camera is attached to the top strap. It takes about 1 minute to set up and is a good height. This is being done as a trial to see if it works, if I find that it gets in the way or annoys it is about 30 seconds to cut the stitching and remove it. It also adds a bit of weight to the back so when I am using the larger coils hopefully all the belts will all stay where I put them to start with. The trip being planned may be the last one if the gravity around Maryborough has become stronger and will not allow me to get up off my knees after I have picked up the large nugget that I plan to find. :lol:

Graham

1545952715_dscf1803.jpg

1545952770_dscf1804.jpg

Latest posts