Recommended gold nugget buyer - Perth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter,

We recently gave the Perth Refinery a go.

Gold.jpg

I had some really dirty gold. The big bit was about an ounce I think and the bottles had black sand and very find gold that had been through the tealeaf sieve. I only weigh my dryblower gold that catches in the sieve the rest goes with the black sand for further processing but I sent this lot to the refinery instead.

Perth mint.png

As you can see, I gave them 8.68oz but only perhaps 1.5oz of gold and the rest was sand with gold dust.
Processing cost me $270 for $14,000 payment so I was happy with that. Don't go to the Perth Mint.

Phil

Can anyone vouch for gold nugget buyers in Perth with top reviews.
Have googled a number and many of their reviews have comments like, unprofessional, dodgy, don't trust them etc etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

Hello Phil,
Thanks for the heads up.
Tried to find "perth refinery" and all I get is the perth mint?
Can you give me an address or web site?
I think what Phil means is that the Perth Mint is a retail outlet in the city, but the actual Perth Mint refinery is located near the airport in Horrie Miller Drive.

Peter, don't try going in the afternoon. They want you there before 2:45pm on the first occasion. You have to take photo ID and open an account so it takes a while. Phil

I have sold gold to the mint of a few occasions and there price was sort of ok, but over the last few years we have sold all our gold to Swan Bullion Services in Gosnells, great service payed into our account straight away, or cash there and then , really friendley guys and the highest price per ounce in our experience, last year we very luckily got 20 ounces in the Pilbara and a lot was pretty dirty they did not take a big amount off in view of that, i now melt into buttons all our gold and on our last lot earlier this year they were paying $88 per gram at that time, we in the past sold some big amounts in kalgoorlie and also midland to a well known place and had to waite for a few days for payment and the accountent (Dragon) did not like that also there price is 10% below Swans price.

Have used refiners like the Perth mint and also Peter Beck in Adelaide. Both charge for assays and you will encounter some melt loss but you will be paid full gold price. Becks offered gold price on the day of lodgement or day of refining as it is not done by XRF but by proper fire assay.
After all costs and melt losses my return on my most recent lot of WA nuggets sent to Becks was about 93-94% of gold price based on the original weight (about 200 gr) of the unrefined and roughly cleaned nuggets which I thought was fair and certainly better than local gold “buyers” were offering. If you submit larger weights the percentage return should increase as the assay fee remains the same for moderate amounts.
Becks used to offer an insured courier pick up service, not sure if they still do. Whoever you choose you should also be given an assay certificate or statement to detail the results of the process.

Have used refiners like the Perth mint and also Peter Beck in Adelaide. Both charge for assays and you will encounter some melt loss but you will be paid full gold price. Becks offered gold price on the day of lodgement or day of refining as it is not done by XRF but by proper fire assay.
After all costs and melt losses my return on my most recent lot of WA nuggets sent to Becks was about 93-94% of gold price based on the original weight (about 200 gr) of the unrefined and roughly cleaned nuggets which I thought was fair and certainly better than local gold “buyers” were offering. If you submit larger weights the percentage return should increase as the assay fee remains the same for moderate amounts.
Becks used to offer an insured courier pick up service, not sure if they still do. Whoever you choose you should also be given an assay certificate or statement to detail the results of the process.
Becks still offer the insured courier pick up service, you give them a call and they will send you out the "envelopes". Each parcel will be insured up to $30 000.

Normal payout is spot minus 10%....perth mint is ok but 270 refining is high. I use pw beck in adelaide. If it's only a one off I would take a small hit and deal with a cash gold buyer....anything on an ongoing basis I would set up an acct and do it legit.

Thats good if your only loosing around 7% between incoming weight and refining weight. Normally when I'm smelting I will work on 10-12% easily.

Latest posts