Re-designing your life plans.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today saw us visit the orthopaedic surgeon after early morning X-rays and the good news is the left shoulder is healing nicely and Lorraine can now remove the sling. She has been given a few gentle exercises now to help strengthen the shoulder. We are waiting on a call from the MRI people to book in for the right shoulder, bit of work to be done there, not sure if it will be done before Xmas at this stage as Lorraine has an open wound on her right foot from a toe nail removal and an infection under the bed of the nail which needs to clear.
All appears to be heading in the right direction and in cricketing terms its been a century making year with todays appt being number 107 for the year! This doesnt include a few Tele-health consults.
Onward and upward. :D

Not sure how much one person has to put up with, my wife who has had a rough trot was hit for six gain today when we got diagnosis of a rare blood cancer Polycythemia Vera, a cancer where the blood produces an excess of red blood cells and platelets which thickens the blood and effects bone marrow production.
The next step is a bone marrow biopsy to determine at what stage the disease is at and course of treatment. Hopefully by mid September we will have a plan in place to fight this.
I would implore any of you who have any odd symptoms like itchiness after having a hot bath or showering, an unusual ache in the joints of your big toes, unexplained red welts on the skin which are warm and sometimes painful to touch, mid abdominal pain on the left side, talk to your doctor and have a blood screen done. Some people even have no symptoms but the disease is picked up with a blood screen test.
Like always we remain positive and will do whatever we can to fight this, we wont beat it but we wont lie down either.
Stay safe everyone.

Thank you everyone, we saw the haematologist yesterday and he ordered some more blood tests, 7 oclock last night he rang and has decided to start treatment next week by taking 600ml of blood every week for the next month to try and help to thin her blood and to try and slow red blood cell and platelet production. The big test will be the bone marrow biopsy and if the marrow has become fibrous, if that is the case it will be fairly advanced. Strangely she has probably been the most mobile and steady she has been in three years.

It's amazing what we end up taking in our stride Manpa, as things accumulate over time and our loved ones suffer through enduring crisis... and we understand that if wishing could fix things theyd'a been well all along.
We trod a long road in these circumstances, but grief n all we would not exchange togetherness, for on the scales of life there's nought that could weigh up to it.

Indeed Silver, we started our life long journey 43 years ago, married 40 years in Jan 22 and we are like so many of our generation we are comfortable in our skins. We will walk this journey together. Youre right as blokes we just want to fix shite like this, its in our nature. As Lorraine said last night, bring on the fight. We might not win but we will bloody its nose!

Thank you Megsy, I have say it helps having the support of family and friends if we need it plus Lorraine is like many stoic women, there are no complaints, acceptance that this is her lot, no matter how difficult and just gets on with it as best she can.
Ive learnt over the past ten years to play the supporting role, if I try to take over I am quickly told off. :playful: