Questioned by rangers?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes many years ago when we were out detecting in a spot where there was going to be trees cut down the rangers were very good , he actually took us to a tree and pointed out 2 tawny frog mouth owls ,I suppose If I looked up more often when out detecting I might see more creatures regards john :)

Sure come out to creswick or daylesford you're likely to be asked for your miners right.

I made a point a few years ago of printing mine off and sticking it in the car window to save them the trip.

The same bloke came and parked near me and asked me to present my miners right 3 days in a row i said mate yesterday you where here for 20 minutes having a chat the day before you stood here for half an hour while i was running my highbanker and told me about all your problems with dirtbikers. Do you really expect me to shut down go and unlock my car and pull it out when you've seen it twice.... he said yes i need ti sigt your miners righ so i asked him for a hand up the bank.... you can fill the blanks in but he ended up wet.

He know me and my truck and waves when he drives past on occasion but never asks for my miners right.

On another occasion i was showing diggerdude a place to setup camp near hepburn. This young ranger pulled up and was telling us we were now allowed to camp in unmarked state parks in victoria. ... silly bugger looked at the WA plates on dds car and thought we were born yesterday. Well we didnt argue with him but calmly said if you can show me where it sais that we cant camp in a state forest in victoria unless marked otherwise we will apologize packup and move on. He left to find that documentation and never returned. ... DD stayed in that spot for two weeks.

Mostly these days they come over for a chat to see who is staying in the area from a safety point of view. Very rarely are they "policing" as people expect.

Thanks GD, I was going to ask about carrying your Miners Right, but from what you say leaving it in your vehicle is OK, thanks again.

by law mate you need to be able to present it, its still worth having a copy on your person but for me having it om the car has allowed them to "do the rounds" without me having to stop what i'm doing.

Most of the time my car is within eye sight of where i'm prospecting

Yep, had a couple (one young bloke and a quite good looking young lady) of rangers stop at my car once. I was camped in the tent and hidden from sight. They tooted the horn. I had a rather big night at the pub the night before and slowly stumbled to the road. When I saw their car I panicked a touch as I haven't had a licence for years. The young bloke said hello. Are you the park rangers? I asked, and the bloke replied yes. While I was looking the young lady up and down I said you've got the job" :p . The young blokes face went bright red when he replied, yes it's pretty good :8 . He asked if I was doing a bit of detecting? I said, well that's the idea in theory, but in reality I'm the laziest prospector ever and just enjoy wandering around the bush. He explained that they had seen my car and thought I may have broken down. As everything was fine they kept on their way. Thank goodness they didn't see the 4mtr deep shaft I was working on ;) .

Question.... Is it ok to have a picture of your miners right on your phone, will that be enough to please the rangers.?
I keep my miners right on me but was thinking just incase you accidentally forgot it or lost it would a good pic satisfy them.?

ozziii said:
Question.... Is it ok to have a picture of your miners right on your phone, will that be enough to please the rangers.?
I keep my miners right on me but was thinking just incase you accidentally forgot it or lost it would a good pic satisfy them.?
That's a great question, 1 which I went looking for an answer for just b4 you posted. I couldn't find anything about if a digital copy is acceptable or not, but they do state that photo copies are not ok. Printed copies are ok provided you bought your miners right online. I printed out like 6 copies when I paid for mine incase a copy or 2 got wet or munted up some how and fell apart. Always handy to have spares.

I printed mine and shrank the print out as small as I could where it was still readable (6 copies). I got a plastic coin bag (from the bank), folded it in half and put it in the bag. It sits in the top pocket of my shirt when I detect. The bag keeps it in good order, stops it getting wet if out in the rain. I also keep a second copy in the glove box just in case. The rest are in my caravan in case I need them. They are about a 1/4 the size of A4 and easier to carry.

Don't forget to sign your copy, it's a bit like a credit card, you need to sign it.

From Energyandresources.vic.gov.au -

58. OBLIGATIONS OF HOLDER

(3) The holder of a miners right must produce the miners right for inspection if asked to do so by an inspector or any person acting under a delegation conferred under section 91(b). Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development)(Mineral Industries) Regulations 2013 18(3). A miners right does not take effect until it has been signed by the person to whom it was issued.

I only printed page 1 of the 2 page PDF file, the 2nd page are info only anyway.

From Parks Victoria (I found this easier than searching the relevant Act...............)

Yes, it is called a Miners Right. A Miners Right is a permit for prospecting in Victoria and must be carried at all times while you are prospecting. The only exception is if you are part of an organised group prospecting under the authority of a valid Tourist Fossicking Authority.

My understanding of the above is, that if you are away from your car (regardless of distance), your Miners Right is in the car and not on your person, then you are NOT carrying it.

I guess the similar situation is that in some states you have to carry your driving license when driving, not leave it on the dresser at home. You can be done for not carrying it.

I have on a couple of occasions forgotten to put it in my pocket, but luckily have never been checked..... The only time I've seen a Ranger was when he was putting bog roll into the Karri Track drop loo.

hey Karen

I've gone nose to nose with the rangers a couple of times

I maybe a little anal about this but I keep in the ute the following

Original miners right
Maps of where I'm prospecting and some maps from geovic showing EL's, crown land, parks etc and where I am in relation to these

That way I can argue my case for being there with some justification and it has paid off, one time they were convinced I was somewhere else on the map but once we looked at the maps they were happily on their way.

Too much to loose if you are not prepared.

Bazz

Wow, didn't know you had to be that prepared for the rangers. I'll have to invest in a GPS. Wonder if it can track where you've been as well as tell you where to go? :D

What state are you in Bazz?

hey Karen

I'm in Vic

As I said I can be really anal about where I go and being there legally, cause I do like to get way off the beaten track

Cheers

Bazz

Hard Luck said:
I can't see why a digital copy would not be ok.
That and a licence to prove your id should be fine.
Yeah I don't know about that. My personal opinion, which counts for nothing, is it should be ok. But then why is a photo copy not. I think copy is the defining word that they don't like.

Bazz said:
hey Karen

I've gone nose to nose with the rangers a couple of times

I maybe a little anal about this but I keep in the ute the following

Original miners right
Maps of where I'm prospecting and some maps from geovic showing EL's, crown land, parks etc and where I am in relation to these

That way I can argue my case for being there with some justification and it has paid off, one time they were convinced I was somewhere else on the map but once we looked at the maps they were happily on their way.

Too much to loose if you are not prepared.

Bazz

Im a bit the same mate before ive walked in with a pannin hand ive researched the area thoroughly and often walked my dog there a few times to confirm the right look of an area.

Guy's
The only reason for the original Miners Right is that how I buy it, I've never got it online so that's not been a challenge

I hear you, G0lddigg@ ;)

Bazz

Latest posts