Question for a Newbie, Semi Grey nomad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I see similar questions have been posed, but I think this is a bit different because I'm a bit more mobile than most people here.

I've been travelling Australia for 3 years in a Toyota Coaster sized bus (done 2 laps actually) with no plans to stop, and am now starting to get interested in this whole prospecting thing.

Given that at any given time of the year I could be at a beach somewhere, parked in a showgrounds, in the goldfields of Vic, outback NSW or QLD or out in the middle of WA, well anywhere really I guess, what would be a decent detector that would cover most situations without going over $2k for a start.

I'm kind of thinking the Equinox 800 as an all rounder at this stage, but I'd really appreciate people's opinions

Cheers

If $2k is the budget have a look at a used QED PL2 to cover the goldfields.
They can be picked up cheap enough to allow enough left over cash to invest in a decent VLF for parks, beaches etc. - you may even squeeze a new Equinox 600 or 800 within your budget?
That's how I'd go anyway. If you spend any decent amount of time in goldfields areas you'll appreciate having a PI (Pulse Induction) detector.

mbasko said:
If $2k is the budget have a look at a used QED PL2 to cover the goldfields.
They can be picked up cheap enough to allow enough left over cash to invest in a decent VLF for parks, beaches etc. - you may even squeeze a new Equinox 600 or 800 within your budget?
That's how I'd go anyway. If you spend any decent amount of time in goldfields areas you'll appreciate having a PI (Pulse Induction) detector.

That is exactly what I have done. Purchased QED when they first came out no regrets. Equinox 800 should arrive in the post next day or so for the beach. Best of both worlds.