question about roads

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo1

Steve
Reaction score
Hi I have a question about who owns the land beside a road .eg between the road and a fence when the roads go through private property. Regards Steve

The "road reserve" ordinarily encompasses the land on either side the "formed" carriageway up to the parallel boundary fence lines. You need to determine whether the road is a government road (crown or local) or a private access or a right of way for enclosed land holders.

What ever the outcome don't dig on road reserves and don't dig on private land ;)

casper

Why would you want to dig next to a road ? I must be missing something here ? Number 1 it's extremely dangerous , number 2 it's noisy , still don't understand why people are prepared to fight with landholders in regard to digging up their creek and now digging on the side of the road ? Is it any wonder prospectors are being locked out of areas . When I go prospecting I like to go to areas where most people can't reach, where it's peaceful , serene , all you can hear is a river flowing. You can keep your road side digging and fighting with landholders , how many people on this forum own land with a gold bearing river running through it that let hordes of people do as they like on it ? Bet not many.

Thanks jaros .casper. headsup. ..hiluxlou its beside a road in the bush were you see 1 car go past once a week if that. And why would you dig there. .because there is old timers digging there. .and yes I always do the right thing . Never jump fences and never go on private land ..that's why iam asking the question .thats y

I thought I read somewhere a road reserve was fair game for collecting minerals and gems but 'no digging' applied. From memory I think this embedded thought came from a State document, maybe Qld.

If you have a great prospect, I would be spinning my tyres over the nugget until I could pick it up by hand without needing to dig.

For the occasion when a Council inspector drives past, and as a general policy, I would return the spun out dirt to its original state to preserve the integrity of the road formation.

Steveo1, I detect the sides of roads running through good ground. I think we are not suppose to, but i have never been pulled up for it. There is a lot of undetected land on the road reserves. As you say Steveo1, its out in the middle of know where.

Wally69, You are correct about road reserves in QLD.

HeadsUp said:
what about public roads , can we dig the soil on the verge between the road and the fence ?

well no... if it's a ROAD then no digging anywhere within the "Road Reserve" . Look at Google maps, it delineates property boundaries and shows the road reserves. The formed road can be anywhere within the road reserve and sometimes wander outside of it and Dunolly and other Rush sites commonly have a few examples of that which I put down to is the gold rush roads predating later surveyed subdivision and subsequent land sales and since then nobody has got around to re-aligning them. The right side of the map shows sections of unused road reserves so you get an idea of what the road reserves look like. NB: In Victoria landholders can lease unused road reserves and incorporate them into their holdings for grazing and cropping but if they haven't they still might be a navigable right of way. I have had experience of this and went exploring Rush sites in the Puzzle Ranges near Merton, Victoria. Venture past the No Thru Road sign be sure to close all gates behind you and you'll get into some places that you thought you could not access however you must do your homework first. Many Historic road reserves are still Crown Land and here GEOVIC is of assistance by showing the land status - if there's an unused road lease covering it'll be shown coloured yellow and you're snookered :D Part of Bull Dog Creek Road on the Mornington Peninsula (Tubba Rubba Diggings ) is one such road.

Interpreting maps is worth a topic of it's own but if you're looking for new ground (who isn't) then studying the government road reserves (many of them now unused dray tracks) will show the way the old-timers went.

1420524899_screen_shot_2015-01-06_at_4.58.59_pm.jpg

Hiluxlou said:
Why would you want to dig next to a road ? I must be missing something here ? Number 1 it's extremely dangerous , number 2 it's noisy , still don't understand why people are prepared to fight with landholders in regard to digging up their creek and now digging on the side of the road ? Is it any wonder prospectors are being locked out of areas . When I go prospecting I like to go to areas where most people can't reach, where it's peaceful , serene , all you can hear is a river flowing. You can keep your road side digging and fighting with landholders , how many people on this forum own land with a gold bearing river running through it that let hordes of people do as they like on it ? Bet not many.

Hiluxlou....I gave you the benefit of the doubt the other day when you failed to read my topic properly https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9906

Now again you are mentioning someone ( I presume me) digging up someones creek.
I do suggest you read post and learn to comprehend English before accusing people of such.
AS previously stated..I research before I go.

I think you need to engage brain, and comprehend before letting your typing fingers loose.
Not everybody lives close to areas that are full of wilderness that can produce the desired minerals, hence we are confined to dealing with Suburbia councils and Tree Change hobby farmers if we want a fix of our hobby.

Roscoe said:
Steveo1, I detect the sides of roads running through good ground. I think we are not suppose to, but i have never been pulled up for it. There is a lot of undetected land on the road reserves. As you say Steveo1, its out in the middle of know where.

Wally69, You are correct about road reserves in QLD.

Road reserves are a product of land subdivision however many of the historical diggings we're interested in have survived from those Subdivision and Land Sales days as reserved or un-reserved Crown Land such as State Forests. So apart from main roads traversing or abutting reserved or un-reserved Crown Land then detecting the internal tracksides probably won't get you into trouble unless of course that you don't fill your holes :p

casper

G'day Steveo, hope you're good mate. I'd just give it a go if it's in a quiet spot, if you're not digging into the actual road I don't see the problem. A bit like detecting nice parks, it can be done without damage by experienced operators.

Latest posts