Qld - chances of mining claim on land with a EP application pending?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt80

Matthew
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered anywhere else, but I haven't been able to find quite what I'm after anywhere else. Thanks for any help I can get as it's really been bothering me....

So I've been fossicking for a while on a bit of crown land in QLD and have found some interesting minerals that I'm currently waiting for an assay to be done on. It's in one heck of a rough area and it's a very old mining region. The problem is that recently a company has put in an application for a exploration lease on the area (along with several other blocks). I was just wondering if it was worthwhile trying to put in for a mining claim for the area I have been going to(yes I get it costs a lot), or if it would be better to just leave it be and hope that the company never finds or just doesn't care about my little find.

As far as I know if I tried to make a claim then I would have to negotiate with the company that has applied for the EP even if they haven't had it granted yet. I find it really really annoying that these companies can hold onto so much land under EPs. The company in question already has lot of land in other claims and several developments in progress and after reading their website it seems they area as much interested in stopping other companies from using the land as they are in using it themselves. So much for the QLD government encouraging development, granting EPs over so much land to one company just locks up development opportunities for years.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a winge, just annoys me how governments seem so against the little guys.

I'm not sure about QLD but in WA you can prospect a EP that is under application, there are quite a few prospectors in WA that follow when new EP's are lodged then head out and detect it before the application is granted.
Obviously mining it would be another story.

edit: just noticed how old this post is .............

Latest posts