QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes plenty of adjustment on the QED & you don't need to be adjusting most things every time out either. THS-B, GB, Gain & Mode mostly so it is fairly simple.
The new ground balance should reduce the need to adjust GB as frequently on the run too which is a great improvement IMHO.

Reg mentioned the new ground balance was a pretty big deal. I probably wont realise what the advantage of it is though because i never tried the old way

The DSM (dynamic spectrum modulation) is a whole new ground balancing system which now gives a zero to 300 adjustment range and is a big improvement on the previous system.
I am not the only one to sell their GPZ7000. I found enough gold to pay for my GPZ in a few weeks from purchasing it, not because the machine was so brilliant, but because I walked onto a couple of good patches. I also dug a 27oz lump using a GPZ, but the signal could be picked up a foot above ground level. Even a VLF detector could have got that one. Only a small amount of gold was found using my Z that other detectors would not be capable of hearing. After having it for a couple of years I had to weigh up the pros and cons of using this highly efficient, but heavy and ungainly machine. I came to the conclusion that gold I may miss by not using the Z was compensated by not being trussed up like a Christmas turkey, and fatigued by all that weight.
The telling factor was that when I changed to the light weight ergonomic QED I could put in more hours in far greater comfort, and by doing so my success rate remained static. I run a Quest WiFi system which gives me complete freedom on a detector that can run any sized coil over a range of soil and terrain variations.
In short the QED ticks all the boxes when it comes to the type and style of prospecting that suits me, and I have far less money invested in my detector, not to mention the security of knowing it is warranted for five years.

hippyhunter said:
I can assure everyone that my intentions arent qed bashing (if you meant what i wrote). My question is a genuine point of interest. Potentials of a mod that might be not a part of the qed due to patent reasons. I think thats a fair question to know if any further potential is available. Have heard of the minelab mods, so why not qed? might have some silly questions sometimes if i cant find anything on a thread already existing. Apolagies in advance. Haha
I have noticed the unusual rivalry between the qed and minelab fanboy section. I find it pretty rediculous, but also have to say it seems more than about the metal detector. Anyway, i dont want any part of that scene and will ignore post that are just bashing or randomly rude. There is a difference between that and disagreeing about something civilly. I dont have a problem with anyone here & wont make enemies on a forum.
I really hope the qed format succeeds and grows as much as the owner wants and will be happy to be a part of it as a user

P.s.the only reason i dont have a new qed yet is because they dont take card.

Cheers. Jason
No no you Jase, sorry if you took it that way, cheers Noel. :Y:

mbasko said:
pinfire opals said:
mbasko said:
QED manual - Technical Specifications said:
A single channel Pulse Induction metal detector using a differential integrator as the null summation / averaging means to null the ground and static magnetic fields.

THS-B threshold (Bias) is used to provide selective ("BIASED") enhancement for either small (rising pitch) or large (falling pitch) targets.
It isn't multi channel.
Got ya, anyone knows its only single channel, says it in the first ever manual, not sure if it still does. I put this comment up knowing you would be the only reply, and from a person who knows nothing about the newest and latest qed as you dont own one or used one, and look at the only person who likes your post, the other qed basher Ararat gold, you 2 are so transparent, why the mods let this go one blows me away, as no other detector brand cops anything close to all this flack. Im just about done with this one sided forum :100:
You sir are a complete idiot!
First you say:
Hi Jase the QED has multi channel by adjusting the bias above or below null im pretty sure, no doubt someone will correct me if this is not the case
Then try to back track by saying that anyone knows it's single channel :rolleyes:
Then you try to insist I'm QED bashing. I just pointed out the truth not provide misinformation like yourself. That truth & explanation of THS-B is directly out of the QED PL2 current manual.
For your information I owned, used & found gold with a QED PL2 that was up to the latest spec apart from the new ground balancing only recently updated - the same as the one you were trying to SELL/SOLD!!!!!
All detector brands, including Minelab, cop their fair share of criticism on this forum if you care to look!! The QED has had a very fair go on this forum & continues to do so. It's usually disgruntled QED owners (that obviously know little about using it & can't handle any constructive criticisms whatsoever) that seem to stir up trouble here. Don't like the forum - leave, who effin cares.
My fellow new south welshman.

Reg Wilson said:
The DSM (dynamic spectrum modulation) is a whole new ground balancing system which now gives a zero to 300 adjustment range and is a big improvement on the previous system.
I am not the only one to sell their GPZ7000. I found enough gold to pay for my GPZ in a few weeks from purchasing it, not because the machine was so brilliant, but because I walked onto a couple of good patches. I also dug a 27oz lump using a GPZ, but the signal could be picked up a foot above ground level. Even a VLF detector could have got that one. Only a small amount of gold was found using my Z that other detectors would not be capable of hearing. After having it for a couple of years I had to weigh up the pros and cons of using this highly efficient, but heavy and ungainly machine. I came to the conclusion that gold I may miss by not using the Z was compensated by not being trussed up like a Christmas turkey, and fatigued by all that weight.
The telling factor was that when I changed to the light weight ergonomic QED I could put in more hours in far greater comfort, and by doing so my success rate remained static. I run a Quest WiFi system which gives me complete freedom on a detector that can run any sized coil over a range of soil and terrain variations.
In short the QED ticks all the boxes when it comes to the type and style of prospecting that suits me, and I have far less money invested in my detector, not to mention the security of knowing it is warranted for five years.
Reg don't take my comment above as a shot at you (or anyone) for selling your GPZ to get a QED.
The comment was made from my own personal perspective as in I personally (at this stage) would not sell a GPX/GPZ to buy a QED. I can see why others might though (price, lightweight).
As far as weight yes the GPZ is heavy but the xmas turkey suit helps.
Personally I find the GPX ok. My battery is in the control box cover so the only trussing I've got is the bungy cord for bigger coils - I'm otherwise completely wireless the only way to go :Y:

hippyhunter said:
After browsing the gpx manual to find the channel selection section, from what i can make out any advantage the gpx can get from its multi channel selection is achievable (at least withthe same issues in mind) to some degree with the settings on the qed (with only sketchy knowledge of the qed operations (i am off here for 30 minites to flip through the qed manual. I forgot i downloaded that the other night. Oops.
J
There is a video manual on youtube Jase.

pinfire opals said:
mbasko said:
pinfire opals said:
mbasko said:
QED manual - Technical Specifications said:
A single channel Pulse Induction metal detector using a differential integrator as the null summation / averaging means to null the ground and static magnetic fields.

THS-B threshold (Bias) is used to provide selective ("BIASED") enhancement for either small (rising pitch) or large (falling pitch) targets.
It isn't multi channel.
Got ya, anyone knows its only single channel, says it in the first ever manual, not sure if it still does. I put this comment up knowing you would be the only reply, and from a person who knows nothing about the newest and latest qed as you dont own one or used one, and look at the only person who likes your post, the other qed basher Ararat gold, you 2 are so transparent, why the mods let this go one blows me away, as no other detector brand cops anything close to all this flack. Im just about done with this one sided forum :100:
You sir are a complete idiot!
First you say:
Hi Jase the QED has multi channel by adjusting the bias above or below null im pretty sure, no doubt someone will correct me if this is not the case
Then try to back track by saying that anyone knows it's single channel :rolleyes:
Then you try to insist I'm QED bashing. I just pointed out the truth not provide misinformation like yourself. That truth & explanation of THS-B is directly out of the QED PL2 current manual.
For your information I owned, used & found gold with a QED PL2 that was up to the latest spec apart from the new ground balancing only recently updated - the same as the one you were trying to SELL/SOLD!!!!!
All detector brands, including Minelab, cop their fair share of criticism on this forum if you care to look!! The QED has had a very fair go on this forum & continues to do so. It's usually disgruntled QED owners (that obviously know little about using it & can't handle any constructive criticisms whatsoever) that seem to stir up trouble here. Don't like the forum - leave, who effin cares.
You were set up.
My fellow new south welshman.

Set up :lol: what a laugh

pinfire opals said:
hippyhunter said:
I can assure everyone that my intentions arent qed bashing (if you meant what i wrote). My question is a genuine point of interest. Potentials of a mod that might be not a part of the qed due to patent reasons. I think thats a fair question to know if any further potential is available. Have heard of the minelab mods, so why not qed? might have some silly questions sometimes if i cant find anything on a thread already existing. Apolagies in advance. Haha
I have noticed the unusual rivalry between the qed and minelab fanboy section. I find it pretty rediculous, but also have to say it seems more than about the metal detector. Anyway, i dont want any part of that scene and will ignore post that are just bashing or randomly rude. There is a difference between that and disagreeing about something civilly. I dont have a problem with anyone here & wont make enemies on a forum.
I really hope the qed format succeeds and grows as much as the owner wants and will be happy to be a part of it as a user

P.s.the only reason i dont have a new qed yet is because they dont take card.

Cheers. Jason
No no you Jase, sorry if you took it that way, cheers Noel. :Y:

Its fine. I didnt think it was me you where talking too. I just thought i would check to make sure. Haha. I thought would be a good chance to clarify my sincerity about the weird questions which could have been interpreted as leading if my intentions where play a game of some sort..
All cool. Thanks noel

Reg Wilson said:

The weight thing is the only reason i don't want a gpz. Im not popeye for cryin out loud. :power:

mbasko said:
Reg Wilson said:
Reg don't take my comment above as a shot at you (or anyone) for selling your GPZ to get a QED.
The comment was made from my own personal perspective as in I personally (at this stage) would not sell a GPX/GPZ to buy a QED. I can see why others might though (price, lightweight).
As far as weight yes the GPZ is heavy but the xmas turkey suit helps.
Personally I find the GPX ok. My battery is in the control box cover so the only trussing I've got is the bungy cord for bigger coils - I'm otherwise completely wireless the only way to go :Y:
I will be interested to try a gpx with harness to see how much i dislike the harness idea

pinfire opals said:
hippyhunter said:
After browsing the gpx manual to find the channel selection section, from what i can make out any advantage the gpx can get from its multi channel selection is achievable (at least withthe same issues in mind) to some degree with the settings on the qed (with only sketchy knowledge of the qed operations (i am off here for 30 minites to flip through the qed manual. I forgot i downloaded that the other night. Oops.
J
There is a video manual on youtube Jase.

Ill have a look tommorow moning after work (is my sleeptime now).Ive watched jp's seta project dvd. That was pretty interesting.
Cheers. J

Is anyone making control box covers etc for the QED yet?

I don't abuse my gear but they are tools and do get knocked about. They do bounce around in the ute and all have bounced out at some stage or fallen off the quad etc.

With the few QED's I've handled previously plus with the pictures AD has posted I do worry about their sturdiness.

A good point you make madtuna. The QED could benefit from a pair of covers. One for the readout display, and another for the electronics box. I shall bring the matter up with one of the exhibitors at the Laanecoorie bash.

Cheers Reg,
as I said I don't abuse my gear but they do get used heavily and knocked around. Looking at the pictures on here that speaker wouldn't last long plus would accumulate red dirt in no time. Also the position of one of the cables is a bit of a concern.

Even things like where the holes and pins are located on shafts where they join I need to pay attention to. If they are on the side or on the top red dirt works its way in, binds up and causes premature wear.
I'd imagine after market fibreglass or carbon fibre or even standard ML shafts could be used?

Minor things I'm sure could be relocated but a worry out here when you don't have shops just down the road and mail from USA to Australia can be quicker than mail from Kalgoorlie to Leonora. That with not having access to one to check out before purchase.

Yes madtuna, after market and ML shafts can be used with locating pin on the underside. I recommend using WiFi such as Quest rather than speaker, which is only useful to me for demonstration purposes. I also prefer N/C headphones or ear buds.

Madtuna one of the good things about the QED has been Howard's (the manufacturers) acceptance of constructive criticisms (unlike some QED users here who buy one then immediately get the us vs. them chip on their shoulder) & keeness to continually improve his product.

I was critical of several things right from the original release model through to the current PL2 configuration but most seem to get improved in some way over time. Don't know if my views were responsible in any way but would like to think they have been.
Some things I was critical of:
The ground balance (in some ground) - now a new ground balance method has been released to address. Hopefully it's as good as reported for current users.
The battery cover fit - I believe new PL2's now come with a better fitting battery cover.
Where the power lead came out of the "face" of the original control box was open to getting damaged - this was moved to the rear to reduce the damage risk.
The original model didn't come with a made for purpose battery holder/pack - now comes with it's own built on battery holder, with an add on battery extender available if wanted, removing the need for the buyer to make it or outsource.
Without end users constructive criticisms things like these would never get improved on! Some people don't seem to understand this.

I like the idea of covers for the QED & had thought about getting DD Leather to make something up for mine. Shouldn't be difficult - they may just need to borrow one to measure/fit then could offer them for sale? I'm sure Howard would arrange if he knew users were keen for them?
I also still think the stand could be sturdier & a removal guard/cover would be beneficial to cover where the ribbon cable connects to the control box on the PL2. As I've said before these aren't deal breakers but could be easily made improvements.
Maybe these shafts from an Australian manufacturer could be used or made to suit the QED https://www.detect-ed.com/collectio...ed-belly-black-equinox-carbon-shaft-combo-set
These look great & being carbon would be durable too - not sure if they'd survive a rough WA bugger though :lol:

Matt, the likes of the QED has to start somewhere and typically of all beginnings the PL1 needed improvement. Howard keeps an open mind and willing to implement what he sees as of a benefit and to see where the PL2 is today is evident of this. Howard is still working hard to improve the PL2 from where it is at today. I have no affiliation with QED whatsoever but I occasionally get a phone call from Howard if i have any concerns.

Constructive criticisms are one thing but there are those that have/had an agenda to see his project fail hence why some pro QEDers get their back up. There are some sad characters out there!

Personally i dont see a problem with the stand. I think it is perfectly adequate. Probably the most i would like to see is a guard for the audio connector or it be relocated if possible.

Al.

Aussiedigs said:
Personally i dont see a problem with the stand. I think it is perfectly adequate. Probably the most i would like to see is a guard for the audio connector or it be relocated if possible.

Al.
Sturdier may not have been the best choice of words by me there - mine actually warped after I left the QED on the back seat of my dual cab. It was only around 25deg on the day & I was parked in heavy bush under trees (in the shade). If it had been summer it may have melted altogether :lol:
Now I'm thinking about it I seem to recall that this may have also been improved on by using a better quality plastic in the 3D printing process? Not 100% sure on that but my QED PL2 was upgraded very early on so no doubt the stand would be improved by now. I actually replaced it with a metal one made from make-a-bracket from Bunnings so it was cheap & easy to replace.
Either way by people giving Howard some constructive criticisms on his product it is easy to see his willingness to improve on it & the end result has been new QED users or those that have upgraded now get an improved end product because of it. Crucify me for speaking my mind ;)

mbasko, for some strange reason the Minelab VLF detector end shafts are a different diameter from the GPX, Whites, or Detech units and are not interchangeable. The logic of this beats me, as it would be an improvement on the factory units.

Latest posts