QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i took out today to try a new set up as advised by another user, bias at 50, volume 75, 8 inch coil too, gb 104 to 106. mode 1 can get a max gain of 2 before it comes noisy, tried mode 8 as advised, can get gain to 7 and stable as, and very sensative as well. will try this new set more over weekend cheers :Y: :Y: :Y:

Gidday All,

I have just uploaded a youtube clip of testing I did this morning of the GPZ14 vs the QED with N/F 17x11 coil. ( see below )

The nuggets in ground were 3 of the ones that I found last week with the GPZ19.

Narrow holes were drilled vertically into the ground using 10mm round bar hammered into the ground to depths of 3, 5 and 7 inches. This provides minimal disruption to the surrounding ground mineralisation and is about as real a test as you can get with " planted " nuggets. These nuggets are a bit rough and gnarly, so not as solid as some, and maybe the QED does not work well with this sort of nugget ? The nuggets were dropped into the holes, the 4.5 grammer had to go in on end, so its not lying flat.

What was apparent from the tests is that the ZED is a powerful beast. Gain was at 14, H/Y normal, no smoothing. This is state forest that I have found many ounces of gold at with GPX4000, GPX4500, GPX5000, SDC and GPZ, so a real goldfield. The ground here is mineralised and variable, and normal mode whinges a bit but is very usable.

QED mode was 5, which was the lowest I could achieve good ground balance on.
What was apparent was that at gain of 1, not one of the targets could be heard, and not until the gain was set to 5 did I even get a peep out of any of them, except air testing over my 0.3g test ball.
At a gain of 10 it got all the targets, but that is cranked to the max, and in real world prospecting you may not be able to run a gain of anywhere near 10.

The QED has a weak audio, which can benefit from a good booster, like the SP01 by SteelPhase that I use. It is fiddly to use, having to change your mode and bias ( and thus ground balance ) every time you change a coil. It is light and at about a fifth of the price of a GPZ it is good value, but I reiterate my earlier statements that if you are hitting ground that has been PROPERLY done by Minelabs, you ARE wasting your time !

No doubt I will get plenty of hate mail from the QED lovers such as Doug, but at the end of the day, all I care about is real world performance on all types of nuggets, and I'm afraid that the QED doesn't cut the mustard in this regard. Someone else stated that it is good for crumbing with tiny coils, or a low cost patch hunter in more virgin areas, and I agree with that summation.

Rick

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/EiryvV-uZKg[/video]

i reckon his bias was too low for that coil in videio, should have been on 50 or above, my opinion only cheers

dasenator777 said:
i reckon his bias was too low for that coil in videio, should have been on 50 or above, my opinion only cheers

Opinions are like backsides, everyone has one, and mean nothing to me when they come from anonymous snipers. :N:
How about you show us how to run a QED with that coil on ??????? :rolleyes:

Rick

Rick which coil do you think you will use on the QED for patch hunting over in WA when away from any salty ground?

For that test I would have used a smaller coil on the QED to equal that of the ZED ... IMHO
Remember the Zed is using 2 D configurations which would equal in x sectional area of a smaller say 14 x 9 .. so is not a similar size coil .. maybe physicaly it is but not electonicaly .. IMHO

Gef12,

I am interested in your thoughts regarding the fact that the 17x11 picked up the little solid 0.3 test ball well ( albeit air test ) but not so well on the bigger targets in the ground ? :/

As I said in my original post today, maybe the QED just doesn't respond well to that sort of rough gnarly gold ? :(

Rick

Treadsoftly said:
Can I ask why you are comparing a $10,000 gold detector to a $2,000 gold detector ?

Because Howard asked why I didn't do any tests last week when I was finding the gold with the GPZ19, so now I have filmed one set of tests.

Rick

Im curious about how difficult the machines are to learn to drive?
As a novice if I bought a GPZ 7000, could I find gold with it in hot ground?
Matt T

Ship of fools.

I don't use/own a QED so can't comment on its use-ability.

The GPZ is a pretty straight forward detector. Read the manual, have a play, read the manual and you are pretty much well on your way. The defaults on it are pretty good starting points. Of course, there are lots of adjustments you can make as you learn more about your detector, the ground and the gold but it's pretty easy from the start.

Plenty of adjustment to enable use in hot ground.

It is quite heavy and it is expensive though.

Hope that helps :Y:

Araratgold said:
dasenator777 said:

Opinions are like backsides, everyone has one, and mean nothing to me when they come from anonymous snipers. :N:

Rick
mwah

Araratgold said:
Treadsoftly said:
Can I ask why you are comparing a $10,000 gold detector to a $2,000 gold detector ?

Because Howard asked why I didn't do any tests last week when I was finding the gold with the GPZ19, so now I have filmed one set of tests.

Rick
why didnt you ask howard along today as he only lives 20 mins away, very suss, seing as howard so called asked you, take your test with a grain of salt

Araratgold said:
dasenator777 said:

Rick
i wouldnt use that coil with that low a bias, next time ur in adelaide id be happy to show you how to use it properly with the 11 inch commander or 12 inch nf, no problems anyday, pm me when you wanna do it, can get someone good to film the whole thing if your happy

dasenator777 said:
Araratgold said:
dasenator777 said:

Rick
i wouldnt use that coil with that low a bias, next time ur in adelaide id be happy to show you how to use it properly with the 11 inch commander or 12 inch nf, no problems anyday, pm me when you wanna do it, can get someone good to film the whole thing if your happy
Like to see that.. not having a go at you Araratgold. But somebody with a better understanding of the settings on the qed would make it interesting. I now own both machines and there's no way I would compare the qed with the 7000.. 7000 would win 9 days out of 10. I have done about 80 hours with the qed about 20 hours with the 7000 and no Pro with either one but enjoy using both. that's this assholes 2c worth :)

Latest posts