Pump question thornado vs midland irrigation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, have been running a modified gs16 off an ozito bilge pump and while it works its underperforming. have been waiting for thornado to get the little 1.5" pump back in stock but they tell me it wont be in now til mid feb. they have a 6.5hp 2" for aroqund $240 but itll take 5 days to get to me in the caravan park im staying at. midland irrigation have a 3.5hp for $300 that i can pickup tomorrow. does anyone have the 6.5hp thornado? im travelling around in a camper trailer so space isnt limitless and im a bit concerned about the space/weight of the bigger pump.

anyone got any advice?

blisters said:
Check out the rato 1.5" from site sponsor Ratovic. About the same specs as the thornado, compare the specs of the midland against those two.
Jon
Have struggled to figure out where to buy a rato, im in ballarat region atm if anyone can advise.

I use a 3700gph bilge, but I feed it with more voltage.
My seaflo one can handle it fine, dunno about an ozito though.
I use a speed controller and give it about 14v, the flow really goes up with just a tad more voltage.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-50V-4...006222?hash=item3a958ad28e:g:wRwAAOSwcwhVN1Nv
you need to feed the controller with 24v, so two batteries in series.
30-40 ah ones are handy for this, I get $10 second hand ones from the scooter shop.

Or get a petrol pump.

Occasional_panner said:
I use a 3700gph bilge, but I feed it with more voltage.
My seaflo one can handle it fine, dunno about an ozito though.
I use a speed controller and give it about 14v, the flow really goes up with just a tad more voltage.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-50V-4...006222?hash=item3a958ad28e:g:wRwAAOSwcwhVN1Nv
you need to feed the controller with 24v, so two batteries in series.
30-40 ah ones are handy for this, I get $10 second hand ones from the scooter shop.

Or get a petrol pump.
i need tp find a scooter shop :eek:

Hey occasional, how much do those batteries weigh? I'm interested because the normal deep cycles (car battery size) weigh a tonne.

40ah are about 15kg, 33's I got two of are prob only 12.

1485851704_33ah_s.jpg

The two pictured are 33ah and were stamped oct 13, so for $10 each a bargain.
As they get flatter I up the speed controller and get prob 3 hours out of a pair before charging. @$10 each I take a few so I don't have to muck around charging in the bush.
However I just got a nice redarc unit so that will change my charging capabilities.

IsThisGold? said:
Hi folks, have been running a modified gs16 off an ozito bilge pump and while it works its underperforming. have been waiting for thornado to get the little 1.5" pump back in stock but they tell me it wont be in now til mid feb. they have a 6.5hp 2" for aroqund $240 but itll take 5 days to get to me in the caravan park im staying at. midland irrigation have a 3.5hp for $300 that i can pickup tomorrow. does anyone have the 6.5hp thornado? im travelling around in a camper trailer so space isnt limitless and im a bit concerned about the space/weight of the bigger pump.

anyone got any advice?

I have the thornado 6.5hp 2" mate. That's all they had in stock at the time. I kept a 2 inch intake hose on it but put a 1.5inch reducer at the pump outlet and ran a 1.5inch flat hose. It's a great unit. Runs like clockwork. Only downfall it's a little heavy at about 28kg.

I have dealt with the owner of thornado. He's a gentleman and mention that you are a forum member and he'll give you 10% off if you are also buying the hoses and quick connect fittings from him. They actually cost just as much as the pump nearly. I got the red flat hose which was a little pricier but better quality.

IsThisGold? said:
is a speed controller something id find at jaycar?
They don't sell that type I got some coming from China, they should be here later this week.
I'm in Croydon Vic, yell out if you need one. I think they were $10 or so each.

Latest posts