Puffer or Blower please help.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SApicker

Ben
Reaction score
Hello all. In April I will be doing some fossicking in south Australia's northern bits. Maybe even looking at starting a claim.
Being central Oz water is scarce so dry washering is the option for moving dirt.
Problem is the two different types. One, the blower can move alot of material, but it looks quite violent on YouTube are you losing gold?
The gentle action of the puffer looks like it would trap more but move less dirt.

What are your experiences?

Hey Picker
What ever way you go you wont lose too much, they are capable of catching fine gold mate.
It comes down to personal preference, noise, fuel cost, weight, size of equipment etc.
You need to work out your fuel inputs v's your gold recovery so your not working for nothing.
I have used a Keene 151 & I think it works very well, the whole thing takes a bit of room in the ute, I made a small Puffer for sampleing & on testing was happy with the fines it caught.
My personal preference would be a large bellows type unit designed to run off 12v with a vibration system fitted to increase retention & through put, this is due to the this type of unit being more compact therefore taking less room in the ute, no fuel cost to run it & I allready have battery & solar panel which may not be needed if you can drive right up to your spot.
cheers
Lee

Cheers rc. I am leaning more towards a bellow type for the noise and consumption factor. I already have a large panel on my trailer that powers everything. Now just have to find one at a reasonable price.

G'day boys! (AussieKate aka getascripter here) I've got the Keene 151. Just bought it recently and haven't even gone out on my first trip with it ... however, have seen and helped operate one before. Brilliant unit!!! Check out the Keene website. You'll get a pretty good idea of prices v. styles v. sizes
I'm in SA too, so G'day fellow CrowEater!! ;)

Hey AussieKate, yeah I have checked out the Keene web site and the Aussie ones in Oz they charge way to much! $2500 for a 151 with blower and it's only $1400 in the states (plus exchange and shipping would take it up another couple of tone).
rc62burke I have been looking at making one my self but atm I live in a top floor unit and its a bit hard.
Check out this dude!! Much respect..... only if I had a shed.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDeop9-tgU[/video]

Latest posts