Prospectors Ages

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol Mr Boring, dont be like that! come here, let me give u a cuddle :lol:
johnb..... ok, i get it brother

I am 58, I have breed tropical fish but they need feeding when I am away so there on the way out. I raced offroad cars and won a state championship now I am starting to slow down. So I have started panning and sluicing and getting set up for retirement ( with a detector) and travel all round the country looking for gold and camping in the bush. It will be good to meet up with others with the same interest.Just need to get the wife more involved because she thinks I am having another mid-life crisis

Still a pup... 33 , good crowd in around the same age. Still pretty new to the whole prospecting thing in relative terms, barely scratched the surface. Grew up in the bush near the diggers holes, my grandad used to have a scratch around, still hang out from time to time with some of his old buddies and their sons. Couple of hardcore detecting mates I grew up with who's dads used to dredge in times past, so for me its a now become a hobby, not just a passing interest. Definitely the newbie among almost all the people I know who are prospectors, but lucky enough to have access to some private stretches of gold fields. Mostly alluvial chasing, that's where I find the most satisfaction.

Pulled the pin on swinging the spanners (diesel mechanic) 10 years ago at the age of 55 and took up full-time sapphire mining.

The body is starting to feel the rigors of hard yakka now that I am officially an "old fart", but I still climb the ladder most days - there are some days that I am sure some bugger has snuck in during the night & added a few more rungs just for the hell of it.

1398808155_119_shaft_on__claim.jpg

It's a long climb back up some days.

Jeff

35 tommorow...Been doing it for about 8 months but been into it ever since dad took us for a family holiday to Ballarat whenI was 8. Wish I started years ago :)

Cheers,
Matt

47 still young, notso dumb and still full of ...... After a great yack with Tathradj yest it was reinforced to me the real gold is to be mined from the knowledge (general and local), experience and memories of the more mature generation. Us youngers should be forming mentor relationships with all the older dudes/dudettes we can - so the knowledge is not lost. Been thinking about stalking old folks homes for old prospectors lol. The relationships can work both ways as Ive been working with SkipperDVP (mid 20's I think) and the energy the bloke has for getting the job done is awesome, more energy input = more production = bigger smile

That was a fantastic yarn mate.
Really great to finally talk to some one with the same interest and a respect for the old timers.
Looks like I am the only one here in this area. :) :)
Research is the key and we 54 year "Old Farts" do tend to take notice of anything that concerns the yellow stuff.
All I got to do is get rid of this bloody flue and there will be no holding back for me. LOL
No walking sticks either. PMSL.
"Old enough to know better, Young enough to do it again"

Doug.

Paydirt said:
47 still young, notso dumb and still full of ...... After a great yack with Tathradj yest it was reinforced to me the real gold is to be mined from the knowledge (general and local), experience and memories of the more mature generation. Us youngers should be forming mentor relationships with all the older dudes/dudettes we can - so the knowledge is not lost. Been thinking about stalking old folks homes for old prospectors lol. The relationships can work both ways as Ive been working with SkipperDVP (mid 20's I think) and the energy the bloke has for getting the job done is awesome, more energy input = more production = bigger smile

28 here. Been saving my pennies for the last 8 years to try my hand at full time prospecting. Must have missed the memo on settling down and the rat race. Hope to retire by the time I'm 30 lol :D otherwise it may be back to UNI to study :(

Cheers Mackka, I tried to convince the missus a pump for my Highbanker would be a great present but she did not buy it.....will have to save my pennies.

Matt

...nearly 41, general station hand/rousta-bout, dish pig, 5 star beverage attendant/cocktail barman, ceramic tiler, solar pool heating installer, pro reef fishing, pro pig hunter, tuna/swordfish long-liner, offroad nitro r/c racer, dj, digital sound production, civil construction/experienced and ticketed forklift/roller/bobcat/backhoe/loader/moxy/excavators up to 40 tonne...and now this :cool:

20xwater said:
...nearly 41, general station hand/rousta-bout, dish pig, 5 star beverage attendant/cocktail barman, ceramic tiler, solar pool heating installer, pro reef fishing, pro pig hunter, tuna/swordfish long-liner, offroad nitro r/c racer, dj, digital sound production...and now this :cool:
Jeez you've had as many career changes as me. Variety is the spice of life. Still dont know what I want to be when I grow up

Just turned 30, had turned a blind eye to my fathers pursuits of gold growing up either fishing when he panned or hunted for cold blooded creatures when he went for a swing. That was until late last year when my younger bro and myself took him on a fishing trip to show him the ropes and cross a fish off his wish list, he achieved his goal and had packed a pan as we had told him we'd seen some folks panning a short drive away, turns out he sucked us in that trip with a couple colors in his first pan... Ended up being a 3way rotation, now my bro (24) and me have seriously got hooked. I didn't care much for gems either until I found my first little blue in the pan now I've always got an eye peeled for gems as much as gold. I find the whole game very addictive.

Matt.

I'm 66, retired. Should have a plenty of time for prospecting. But somehow I managed to make two kids, now 5 and 9 years old. So my time for prospecting is bit limited.
But I mined opal SA for couple years in seventies, copper in QLD, got first metal detector in early eighties . I hunted, fished, sailed and prospect in my younger days, so I cannot really complain about not having much time because of kids.
The rush is still same now when I see small sapphire in the sieve as it was some fourty years ago when I was carefully digging out piece opal from the level
Karl

Latest posts