Prospecting in Graytown.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I spent the weekend at Nagambie and when I saw Graytown I headed out for a look. I stopped at the old POW camp and took a few photos. The whole area is in the Heathcote Graytown National Park and I was wondering if it is legal to detect in the National Park. Some of the area looks like it has been graded and mined then rehabilitated some time ago. I always wondered where Graytown was as I was always excited about finding some old POW money from around the camps but never got there.

Regards Axtyr.

axtyr said:
Hi all.

I spent the weekend at Nagambie and when I saw Graytown I headed out for a look. I stopped at the old POW camp and took a few photos. The whole area is in the Heathcote Graytown National Park and I was wondering if it is legal to detect in the National Park. Some of the area looks like it has been graded and mined then rehabilitated some time ago. I always wondered where Graytown was as I was always excited about finding some old POW money from around the camps but never got there.

Regards Axtyr.

Here you go.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking

Its a nice spot and much easier today with Google in reference to knowing
where the old streets are. Back in teh day there was nothing about.

I have found some nice finds there years ago and looking forward to one day returing
with the Deus.

Research back in the day consisted of spending hours in the state library
researching and photocopying.

Hope this helps.

Greytown was a good gold field, the speci in my avatar is typical of the greytown gold, it is found in deep ground in very thin quarts layers. the gold at greytown was predominatly deep gold and not nuggerty, ie very small. as the rush in greytown was coming to an end they had a major flood luckily occuring during the night as all of the shaffs were flooded and filled with silt and mud taking the miners tools along with destroying the shafts, this ended the goldfied as the miners moved on to richer fields after that. The cemetary is worth a visit I like to pay my respects to the old guys when I go there. lots of hard work to find gold as it is very small but coins can be found by the the creek, as for the pow camp i'm not sure but I think relic detecting s not allowed anymore but i'm not sure. The Heathcote Greytown park is a large area that joins the rushworth whroo area. I couldn't cover the whole area in my lifetime but I think that the more detectable area is more toward heathcote but thats just my opinium.
hope this helps
cheers mandrake

Latest posts