Prospecting Chinese Worked Ground

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all,

Is it worth detecting over Chinese worked ground? They were known to be quite thorough. Panning, sluicing i understand is worth it but my thinking nuggets would be few and far between?

Al.

Depends on the area - type of gold found.
If it was known for chunky bits &/or nuggety gold then yes. Not even the Chinese got it all & there are many of these areas still turning up detectable gold on or near what's known as old Chinese diggings.
On the other hand if it was an area known for fine/flour gold then detecting it would be fairly redundant, apart from a chance of some relics, no matter who worked the ground.

Thanks guys.

In my area, Beechworth, i have many options. I have worked areas within walking distance from home without success. Mostly due to being new to this id say. Today i have only just found out it had been worked over by the Chinese. The reason i ask the previous question is i have the option to search areas that i assume hasnt been cleaned out by the Dyson of prospectors!

Geezer, we have the best Chinese in town! (Takeaway)

What im asking though mate, is it more productive working where they havent been?

I think you would need to be selective - maybe try to focus on less disturbed areas near or adjacent to heavily worked areas?

Apparently towards the end of the productive years of gold mining along the Turon River virtually every lease from Sofala to the Macquarie River junction had been acquired by the Chinese miners - and while it might be a challenge to find good gold along the Turon - there are a lot of people who claim to be still finding reasonable gold there.

196.97 said:
I think you would need to be selective - maybe try to focus on less disturbed areas near or adjacent to heavily worked.

This is something im starting to focus on. Between the workings. Im seeing the geology identical to where gold has been found, only i def need a PI. The Gold Bug pro gain is down to 9 oclock but still being a tad noisy.

I detect the palmer river area,I do find gold with effort, in areas certainly worked by The Chinese . My advice if your in a well worked area is to really try to study the country as you detect and work out were the gold will settle. Once you decide on a good location go low and slow and methodically work that area ,it is really is an apprenticeship that has more rewards for more experience. Jaros is right with his comment on technology and there is plenty of info on gold deposits

Latest posts