Prospect Quarry

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Emanuel I live in Sydney and I was doing some researching on gem and mineral locations near me. then i found out about prospect quarry. I know that the original quarry has been transformed into an industrial area. But I was wondering if there was any other quarries or spots where you might be able to find prehnite crystals.

Also if anyone knows of any other locations where I could fossick around Sydney please tell me below thanks! :)

I think that's long gone mate but the prehnite from there was great looking stuff. Not much in the Sydney basin apart from sandstone. :( There are few supposed spots but I'd take that info with a grain of salt......

Hi Emanuel,
Many moons ago, myself and 2 friends drove up from Wollongong hoping to fossick in Prospect Quarry but were not permitted by the company owning the pit. After we explained we were members of a lapidary club from down in the 'Gong, the manager gave us hard hats and took us for a look at the quarry. (but no fossicking)
All that beautiful prehnite gone now.

1495811072_prospect.jpg

Hi Shivan, I was a member of the Albion Park Lapidary Club. As I said it was many moons ago.
With the exception of myself and a couple of mates, all the other members were old folks (like me now).
One mate got into faceting and would take his display box with him. The old dears would drool over his faceted quartz until he gave them each a cut stone.
After a few years I got bored with all that, as I get more joy out of the hunting rather than the cleaning and dressing.
Saying that, recently I have been looking at a number of websites selling cabbing machines ........ I wonder if "the boss" would let me buy .... nah, probably not.

No worries Chiron, iam a member of the Illawarra lapidary club, its at Tarrawanna. I just assumed when you mentioned Wollongong you were talking about the same club.

I love getting out for a dig, but after starting at the club have ended up turning my garage into a mini lapidary workshop with second hand equipment :rolleyes:

I live just around the corner from Tarrawanna.
Keep meaning to drop in to the lapidary club one day for a look see.
One day I might bump into you there.
Cheers.