Prospect Australia TV

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday all, I'm to in on this too.

Its to be an honest, real, fair dinkum, no planting, no BS show about all forms of prospecting from, stones, gems, gold, coins, mining, relic's/rubbish, beach, detecting and everything related. A show that can show right from wrong when out on the field, the do's and don'ts, permits and so on, where you can and where you cant and why, but not enough to bore people, just get the right message out there! As I don't see anything like that on other shows? A show that will show the realities of the hobbies we do and the places we do em in! A true fun blood sweat and tears TV show about all of us, with loads of us doing our thing in it!
With some real intel on places stay and people talk to, also have a focus on small business for sponsors, give the little guy a chance hay?

We are looking to create a quality TV show that has a bit of everything (prospecting related) with some of you mad caricatures doing what you do best!
Sounds good. A little support will be needed if we are to have a shot at playing with the big kids.

Rob

I don't think a short segment in each show covering rules/regs (particularly in areas/topics of that show) would be a bore at all.
Just look at how many where/why/how/what type questions we get on the forum from new starters confused about where they can go & what permits/permission they might need.
Using the logic that it will get more people into the hobby & cause more issues is pretty silly. That horse has already bolted! There is a mountain of stuff on YouTube & popular TV already which can contain incorrect or otherwise bad info so something that provides sage advice would only be beneficial IMO.
In fact using the logic that a show like this would do harm then we should all immediately cease posting on this forum too as we are also contributing to creating an interest as do a number of other forums?
We should concentrate on making sure we give factual & responsible advice. Maybe it will rub off on the many YouTubers etc. that currently don't?
P.s there are also many on YouTube that give good advice too. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the problem a lot of people have.

You'd have to show the loss involved too... cause if I'd saved all the money I'd spent and invested it instead, and cos ted in my time and fuel etc... well.... I've lost a fortune... gave up my life in the Bahamas catching crabs just to find buckets of junk n a few coins that don't equate one little iota !
Not to mention the aches and pains at all... and the cost involved with family when your out swingin n the mind says this is great.... but where's your family and are they ok.
make sure your show is idiot proofed... I thought you just meant a utube channel... not in your face prime time for the masses.
wouldn't you make more money in the long run on the internet where you get rewarded for views.. whereas the television stations make their money showing adds. :D

Dihusky said:
Kane, have you got any sponsors who have indicated interest? Don't get me wrong I like the idea of what you want to put together, but if the TV channels are going to be interested they'll be looking to you to provide the primary advertisers, then they'll tap into their existing pool that might want to be part of the package. Being able to provide an audience is critical so you might have to think a bit broader.

Things like including fossicking and rock hounding in areas around a family camping ground, show that families can get involved and take their finds through to an end result. Find interesting stones, visit a local gem club, cut and polish something through to a collectable. Family adventure is a huge market and that brings advertisers from all sorts of associated fields. You can still include swinging and panning, but don't lose sight of how many families attend events like Minerama and go on the trips, talk to Wally69, his brother is one of the Minerama tour leaders.

It'll still be a good, real life, warts-n-all program, just broader appeal.

So the $10k your looking for, it this for the pilot?

Yes this to get the pilot done, without it, it is only an idea and sponsors are not interested, they what to see the idea and where there brand fits in.
So to get 4 of us in one spot to get it done takes time and money, so it's a catch 22 you need sponsors to fund you, but you need a pilot to really get the sponsor's to commit.
We can probably do it on a tighter budget, and ruff it, but at the same token, we want to do it right.

Also for those who don't use Facebook, you can always PM me and send me the money and I will putt it in the go fund me campaign for you.

silver said:
You'd have to show the loss involved too... cause if I'd saved all the money I'd spent and invested it instead, and cos ted in my time and fuel etc... well.... I've lost a fortune... gave up my life in the Bahamas catching crabs just to find buckets of junk n a few coins that don't equate one little iota !
Not to mention the aches and pains at all... and the cost involved with family when your out swingin n the mind says this is great.... but where's your family and are they ok.
make sure your show is idiot proofed... I thought you just meant a utube channel... not in your face prime time for the masses.
wouldn't you make more money in the long run on the internet where you get rewarded for views.. whereas the television stations make their money showing adds. :D

honestly I don't think or I don't really wish to make a million dollars from it cover costs and production and the rest will sell itself,
If we go out for a day and find 10 small flakes, well then that's just it

"as well as other YouTuber's that share our passion."

Who are they? and how many followers do they have as this is make or break as to if your "show" will be popular or not if they are your promoters.

Thinking 10k might be a reach. smash it in half 5k for equipment and software.

You need
New GoPro's - with the shake stabilization
SLR Camera for the close ups and sound
Editing software

Get you gold finds to pay for the rest - You need 20 ounces to pay for your end of season costs
Set a target and make it exciting.

There are youtubers out there who only use their phone and make a lot of money.

Good luck :) :perfect:

XIV said:
Yes this to get the pilot done, without it, it is only an idea and sponsors are not interested, they what to see the idea and where there brand fits in.
So to get 4 of us in one spot to get it done takes time and money, so it's a catch 22 you need sponsors to fund you, but you need a pilot to really get the sponsor's to commit.
We can probably do it on a tighter budget, and ruff it, but at the same token, we want to do it right.

Also for those who don't use Facebook, you can always PM me and send me the money and I will putt it in the go fund me campaign for you.

You get one hit at this type of program, fortunately there are a few more players who are always on the lookout for good content. Probably easier these days than when I was behind a camera. Script is well, pick a photogenic location, good multi camera shooting and most critical is really good sound, this is where most people fail and it kills it very quickly.

You look at any of the prospecting shows, all multi camera and top notch sound.

Agree Jaros, I find it kind of funny watching them drag the massive amount of sponsors gear around with them too. Guess thats what pays the bills though. Anyone remember if the layland bros had a sponsor ?

Goldfreak said:
Agree Jaros, I find it kind of funny watching them drag the massive amount of sponsors gear around with them too. Guess thats what pays the bills though. Anyone remember if the layland bros had a sponsor ?

My old man had a tyre shop in Cardiff and Mal Leyland would occasionally badger him for sponsorship, but he never got any from the old man. They were not very smart when it came to business management, so I guess they must have had some sort of sponsorship to be able to survive as long as they did.

Jeff

Very interesting snafu. It was very amature stuff they produced but also nice in a way not to be so commercial.

Nightjar said:
Yes unfortunately, the days of real shows are gone.
This is exactly what we are trying to do.
I'm sure you have seen some of the YouTubers,
All we are trying to do is get our hobby out to Australia,
Show off some of the do's and don'ts. hints on how we do things,
And hopefully save our ground form being taken away from us.
At the moment, a few of the states have there own lobby groups, with 20-30 thousands members, how much better would it be if there was over 100 thousand members in each state, and we had more of a voice.

We want to show off family values, some of the places that are open to everyone, it's not just us crevicing.

I like the idea XIV and it certainly gets a thumbs up from me.

Anything that helps to boost the influx of people into regional areas has to be of benefit to communities right across the country.

I recently became aware of the Target One Million campaign being run by the Victorian Government to get more people out there fishing and my first thoughts were that it would put too much pressure on a lot of locations, but when I considered the economic benefits to those small towns and hamlets, my thinking changed - it has to be a good thing.

Here on the Central Qld Gemfields, a lot of local people rely on the injection of cash that comes into the area each year with the arrival of seasonal fossickers & tourists and the more people who learn about who we are, what we do and what the area has to offer, the better it is for all of us.

Those who are critical of your idea seem to be doing so out of pure selfishness and unfortunately life is like that - most are willing to share, but some have a very greedy and selfish attitude.

Jeff

Latest posts