Professional Prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the possibility of this being a viable prospect as opposed to working the boring old 9 to 5 hum drum. Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?

Very few people would be able to make a living out of prospecting.
Those that are at it full time usually have a back up source of income, like the pension, investments, cash etc.

Most of us struggle to get back our travel costs to the goldfields and it gets noticeably harder each year.

Chellbells,
lets put this to some simple maths:-

To earn $52000 per year ( 1 K /wk) at todays price of $A1600 per ounce, you would need to find 32.5 ounces (1040 grams)/ year . Thats an average of 0.625 ounces ( 20 grams) per week, every week!

Are you up for that many holes!!

Regards
Ian

Hi Chellbells ,

It's very possible on dry area gold fields , but not using just detectors these days .

There was a device that worked excellent ~ like a big dry pan , invented back in 2014 , but never released .

I created that unit .
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_A1TSkVUAlxLXpxY1h2bk10OFE/edit?pli=1

Have kept working on the concept since & will be have the best design this winter . :D

Outback said:
Hi Chellbells ,

It's very possible on dry area gold fields , but not using just detectors these days .

There was a device that worked excellent ~ like a big dry pan , invented back in 2014 , but never released .

I created that unit .
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_A1TSkVUAlxLXpxY1h2bk10OFE/edit?pli=1

Have kept working on the concept since & will be have the best design this winter . :D

I love that unit Outback,
Can't wait to see your latest model.
Cheers Steve :)

Wow that is a nice design, is it just for dry processing or could you use water with it?

You wanna know what its like trying to earn a living outta it?
Its a prick.
When things go wrong its enough to have you on the brink. This particular season has so far been disastrous for me so far. 3 serious vehicle break downs in a row. I've managed to get out for just two weeks all up.

No money coming in, a lot of money going out. I'm handling it quite well to be honest but my sister isnt . I'm eating all her food whilst I'm staying at her place in Kalgoorlie hahaha.
Today the vehicle should be ready and take 4.

For me, it's about the quality of life as life is so short, so why not live it doing what you enjoy the most.

If you don't need as much a the "Jones'", then why not turn your hand to professional prospecting. I would love to hear from a professional prospector. I have been prospecting for many years but only with a sluice & pan, I intend to buy the 'detector' soon.

This post was started by way of homework as eventually I want to be a full time prospector (maybe, with a part time job - haven't made up my mind yet).

My thoughts are it's easy to dream but harder to do it. A lot of people just talk about the finds you need to make just to cover expenses. Not many talk about the capital investment needed even prior to starting out.
You'll need equipment i.e. detectors, sampling equipment & other gear like Jack has invented above so all your eggs aren't in one basket. You'll need back up equipment in case something fails - keep in mind to make a living from it you'll most likely be in remote areas with no Prospecting Shop just down the road. You'll need spares - batteries, coils, cables, digging equipment, other spare parts for any other equipment etc. etc. You need to be remote area capable - food/water storage, power/solar/batteries, camp & associated gear, suitably equipped vehicle, emergency communication systems etc. You need to be able to live in very remote areas & if going to the dry arid areas you'll soon know why only 3% or less of the Australian population live out there :lol: You'll also need back up funds in case you have a bad month or 6 as Utbn points out above. You'll need to have done your research - on more than one or two areas & organise access + any other required permits etc.
I've seen a lot of these posts before & there are people out there living the dream (even with detectors Jack :D ) but there's a whole lot more to consider than just throwing the Minelab on the back seat, hitching up the camper/caravan & heading off.
You may not need as much as the "Jones" - you may need more just to stay safe & survive let alone consistently find payable gold!
P.s not trying to dissuade you from the dream of doing it but IMO you need to look at the practical side of things to make sure your set up to succeed or at least stay afloat.

Most of the pro's also supplement their income by holding training sessions and tours. They have been doing it for a long time and not only kknow their stuff, they also know people with private property in the right spots. Cheapest lease I've seen advertised was about 40 thou. and the dearest I've seen was about 180k. And I haven't been looking. It's what we all dream of Chell. Dreams can come true. But there are a lot of hurdles to overcome and ya can't just go where you want to all the time. Unless you have a lease or deal with a property owner, you also have to share the area. Do some homework on the areas you can hit and what govt. Red tape is involved then decide if it's worth the hassle to you. If is, give it go. Just know what you're getting yaself into. :)

mbasko said:
My thoughts are it's easy to dream but harder to do it. A lot of people just talk about the finds you need to make just to cover expenses. Not many talk about the capital investment needed even prior to starting out.
You'll need equipment i.e. detectors, sampling equipment & other gear like Jack has invented above so all your eggs aren't in one basket. You'll need back up equipment in case something fails - keep in mind to make a living from it you'll most likely be in remote areas with no Prospecting Shop just down the road. You'll need spares - batteries, coils, cables, digging equipment, other spare parts for any other equipment etc. etc. You need to be remote area capable - food/water storage, power/solar/batteries, camp & associated gear, suitably equipped vehicle, emergency communication systems etc. You need to be able to live in very remote areas & if going to the dry arid areas you'll soon know why only 3% or less of the Australian population live out there :lol: You'll also need back up funds in case you have a bad month or 6 as Utbn points out above. You'll need to have done your research - on more than one or two areas & organise access + any other required permits etc.
I've seen a lot of these posts before & there are people out there living the dream (even with detectors Jack :D ) but there's a whole lot more to consider than just throwing the Minelab on the back seat, hitching up the camper/caravan & heading off.
You may not need as much as the "Jones" - you may need more just to stay safe & survive let alone consistently find payable gold!
P.s not trying to dissuade you from the dream of doing it but IMO you need to look at the practical side of things to make sure your set up to succeed or at least stay afloat.

From Chellbells - I agree with all this.

I've met a few full time prospectors in my day, but they are the exception to the rule. Trent (Digger Dude) and his partner who used to be on this forum were one example.

I reckon it would be very difficult to make a living out being a small scale prospector.

Jim Rocher has a post on it over at this blog, and comments "Keep your dreams alive but your delusions in check OK?" I think his remarks are just as relevant to us as to the US:

http://www.bedrockdreams.com/2016/03/can-i-make-living-gold-mining-revised.html

DrDuck said:
I've met a few full time prospectors in my day, but they are the exception to the rule. Trent (Digger Dude) and his partner who used to be on this forum were one example.

I reckon it would be very difficult to make a living out being a small scale prospector.

Jim Rocher has a post on it over at this blog, and comments "Keep your dreams alive but your delusions in check OK?" I think his remarks are just as relevant to us as to the US:

http://www.bedrockdreams.com/2016/03/can-i-make-living-gold-mining-revised.html

Chellbells wrote: Very realistic and good advice.

Thanks for the positive comments about my dry concentrator :)

Cecc ' I did make a wet unit but it required a different internal set up , as my interest is in dry prospecting I shelved that model .

Cheers
Outback .

Latest posts