Pre-dig ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just doing some research on reading the land so I have an educated guess at where the gold is on mums land... it will be a little while until I can get out there but no harm in a bit of chat I don't reckon. There's an area of the land that is a natural wet area, after rains it all heads to there, and to one side is a bare quartz gravelly area that is heavy on iron coloured/sandwich stone. I'm thinking that's a good indicator, and the lower wetter area might be a good place to expect (ha!) some action? There are a lot of Old Timer's workings along the depression.... with a few good grown over couple metre deep diggings. Full of gum trees now of course. And mum found some great blue glass bottles the rabbits had dug out nearby. She also picked a nice little nugget off the top of her dam wall that was the last scoop from the earthmover, bout a hundred metres away. Sound promising? Napoleons near Ballarat.

Sounds very interesting.

Don't forget to do some prospecting on the other side of the quartz area as some of the gold could have gone the other way, as the lay of the land could have changed lots over time. See the excellent series of posts on the forum by Loamer regarding how to go about assessing a site and where the best areas may be.

Rob.

Good point..... hard to remember things weren't always as they are now even when you're aware of it. Yep, have absorbed Loamer's awesome info. Thanks!

If the wet area is dumping iron stone etc in a spot during heavy rain/flooding i would be shoveling it through a banker or slowly panning it, what ever one suits your wants the most, in creeks you are looking for where the heavy gold, gems etc would most likely drop out of the water flow, inside of bends, bedrock 'riffles' in the stream/creek etc, test the area and see if there is pockets of gold and you may work out where the better gold would lay
Your mum picked up a nugget and your still here chatting? i would be all over that mate, i say get out there and get some of it! lol

HipHipDecay said:
Hi Guys,
Just doing some research on reading the land so I have an educated guess at where the gold is on mums land... it will be a little while until I can get out there but no harm in a bit of chat I don't reckon. There's an area of the land that is a natural wet area, after rains it all heads to there, and to one side is a bare quartz gravelly area that is heavy on iron coloured/sandwich stone. I'm thinking that's a good indicator, and the lower wetter area might be a good place to expect (ha!) some action? There are a lot of Old Timer's workings along the depression.... with a few good grown over couple metre deep diggings. Full of gum trees now of course. And mum found some great blue glass bottles the rabbits had dug out nearby. She also picked a nice little nugget off the top of her dam wall that was the last scoop from the earthmover, bout a hundred metres away. Sound promising? Napoleons near Ballarat.

Gday HHD,
Napoleons was a very productive gold producing area so it looks like you maybe onto a good thing.
If you find color down the bottom you should work your way up hill to see if you can locate the source.
What a great opportunity , best of luck.
Cheers Steve :D

keep the exact loc suss m8 because you always get people trying to gain your spots and finds and take everything off you I call them internet prospectors they wont do hardly any work researching and testing the ground they just suck up info off others then take advantage of your hard earned tested and researched spots ive had it happen to me with a gold spot they wore going to rip up the place with a excavator

Latest posts