Porters Retreat/Black Springs fossicking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went fossicking last weekend at Porters Retreat for sapphires and zircons and such. It's quite a nifty little spot as the access isn't too bad and the nature around it is quite comforting. Didn't really find too much this time, only a few small zircons and sapphires but o well... Did find one interesting stone however. At first glance it looks to be a small quartz crystal but I have a sneaky suspicion that it is topaz. It has a crystal point but there is something about it that makes me think its topaz, really hard to explain but I suppose i could say the texture makes me think that..? It's just... Different than what normally comes out of the ground I suppose. I'll post a picture if I find my camera. :)

good luck with the next trip

If youre finding small ones then at least youre in the right patch

how to you plan to sniff out where the really big ones are ?

there could be a big sapphire with your name on it jst a few inches down somewhere if you dig the right spot

good luck ! :)

it's actually got my name on it, 'cos I dropped it there earlier. The name may have rubbed off by now, but that first big one you find - yeah, that was mine....

Welcome to the forum mate, you can find some gems in the posts in here that will keep your enthusiasm up for that next trip to find the shiny pretty stones

G'day mate, welcome aboard, probably a Quartz crystal if it has a pointy crystal end. Post up a pic and I'm sure you'll get your answer.

Latest posts