Port drinkers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't drink much ,but I do like to indulge in a few sips of port around a campfire once in a blue moon

Anyone like to share opinions on their favourite bottles ?

I have tried wolfblass red label tawny port ~~ but its got a little bit of dry harshness to it in the aftertaste in the back of the throat for me

I recently tried wolfblass red label reserve tawny port, very nice ,smooth on the tongue , sweet , but not sickly sweet +++

I have picked up some Galway pipe and penfolds for next trip to the bush

:D

What do you lot like ?

I like the odd port, the best I ever had was a concoction, the Sergeants Mess on a RAAF base used to serve port at official dining nights in carafes. any left overs got put into a cask. The same with bottles in the bar that only had an inch or so left. They tried many different ones over time, so the barrel got a mix of all sorts of port. when it got near full, they would bottle about half of it for limited sale and start the fill process again.

I would suggest drink 2/3 of any you buy and put the rest into a small barrel. After 6-10 inputs, try it. Then when near full bottle 1/2 to 2/3 and start again.

Doing this with cheaper ports can end up being a really great blend.

Penfolds do good port at a reasonable price, so do some of the smaller boutique wineries.

Aldi have a nice tawny called "keepers Glove" I finished a bottle last night .$5 a bottle.

My sort of price

I got hooked on plum port when I was staying/detecting at Avoca. Gynneth winery at moonabel, sell it at the Avoca market also.Had six bottles delivered to my place only this week. Me and the missus have a nip after dinner. Nice stuff. :D

Don't mind a drop of port, atm we have a case of Frogmore from tassie. Wonderful stuff.

1409096605_port.jpg

About 15 years ago, it was my FIL's 70th birthday and the gathering was at the usual Friday night Pizza night at Dunolly caravan Park.
Mrs Redfin purchased a bottle of Para Port for her father, at over $100.
When we got there, the port was given to him, he took a swig and passed it around the fire.
When it got back 3 minutes later it was empty, and the bottle discarded.
Still haven't told him what is was. 8)

mbasko said:
Pipeclay port
http://www.pvgwinery.com/products/Pipeclay-Tawny-Port.html
Not a bad drop - haven't drunk any for awhile though.
P.s The Mudgee White port is also good.

Van Gents make excellent products.... haven't had it for years but they do a Pipe Clay Vermouth that the gods drink. (no offence meant :) )

Stanton & Killeen Liquor Muscat .. yesiree Bob!.....and not to mention Baileys Founder Series Muscat.....warms the cockles of my heart.

For special occasions we have the Grandfather and great grandfather from penfolds, bit dear but worth it.
Our everyday port you cant go past the Galway pipe tawny. Liquid gold. :)

goldtruck59 said:
For special occasions we have the Grandfather and great grandfather from penfolds, bit dear but worth it.
Our everyday port you cant go past the Galway pipe tawny. Liquid gold. :)

wife called boss......Clearly we are married to the same woman :rolleyes:

HeadsUp said:
I don't drink much

My idea of a balanced diet is a beer in each hand.

HeadsUp said:

What do you lot like ?

I dont mind the Galway pipe either....what was the one that came in a black bottle with that red wax lid? It was nice also.

Metamorphic said:
HeadsUp said:
I don't drink much

My idea of a balanced diet is a beer in each hand.

HeadsUp said:

What do you lot like ?

I dont mind the Galway pipe either....what was the one that came in a black bottle with that red wax lid? It was nice also.

..... It was BENJAMIN Port :)

peterau said:
I got hooked on plum port when I was staying/detecting at Avoca. Gynneth winery at moonabel, sell it at the Avoca market also.Had six bottles delivered to my place only this week. Me and the missus have a nip after dinner. Nice stuff. :D

how would you describe it ?

sweet , medium sweet , dry , multilayered ?

does it have one of those flavours that disappears quickly or does it hang around in your nose and mouth with a tingly warm aroma ?

i have found the wolfblass reserve gives a nice warm glow in the tummy too but as i didnt try all ports out there i cant benchmark that against others in that regard.

bit off topic but Stones Green Ginger Wine gives me that warm buzz in the guts too . totally different flavour though :)

actually now i think about it i wonder how it would taste with a bit of Ginger wine blended with port .......... :p

Hi Headsup, yeah semi sweet. Stones, now theres a blast from the past. When I was a kid overnight fishing, bleary eyed and freezin with my mates, stones was the cheap go to for that "warm buzz in the guts". Worked. Now wouldnt do either, not stones or overnighters. From distant memory both were pretty rough.

peterau said:

I got given a bottle of plum port from somewhere in Margaret River about 12 years back now. We drank it about 10 years ago and it was the best Port I have ever had. Not that I consider myself a connoisseur but this to me was very nice. Having not really touched port since, haven't thought much about it. Going away next week may just have to see if I can find a bottle somewhere of something similar.

Just looked at their page and it appears they do exactly what condor was saying :)

http://theberryfarm.com.au/Blog/1/Dark-Plum-Port

I got a 10L wooden "Tubbies" barrel 18months ago.
Ports & muscats of all sorts have gone into it from $50 bottles to cask port.
Great to see how it changes over time & after blending.
No real favourites. Grandfathers is nice.

Opened a bottle of 1932 Para Port by accident once. We had friends come over for dinner and my wife said open that bottle of port on the top shelf of the cocktail cabinet , so I did but she forgot that the new bottle of Grandfathers Port had been moved to another cabinet, oops big time.
Went down well and the guests were very happy. Always had port after dinner but it never was the same hahaha!
Cheers
Mackka

Latest posts