PM Coil information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
Appreciate any information from anyone that has, or at least tried out, one of the PM Coils like the Nuggeteer.
I'm thinking that the 12" X 4" may be the ants pants for poking under, and around, shrubbery.
But how good are the PM range of coils?

Hi Mozzie,
Just to let you know that Dale ( the other half of Prospecting in The Territory) rang me tonight and let me know that we are getting some PM coils to test in the Territory conditions. Will let you know how the tests go. I believe that the 12x4 is one of them and i am interested in that one as well , should be good for getting in the spinifex up here
Regards Bill :cool:

Sounds like a good coil for the northern WA spinifex as well mate. Keen to hear back on that one Bill.

Cheers Wal.

I was looking at these a fair while ago as they were working on some alternate coils for the GMT. Tried to find some info but all I could find were issues with them either not working or causing coil overload faults.
Be interested to see how the testing goes Mystyk.

The new ones that are in production this week are made with Litz wire, so just waiting on them now

I tried one ages ago on the 5k and it shut down with overload warning but
since they made the ones for gpx the overload problem seems to be fixed,

but recently I walked around with a bloke that was using the 12x4 (gpx version) for about an hour and did not see anything that impressed me enough to buy one.
seemed to get more false signals when scrubbed on the ground than the other coils as the user swapped coils to another brand after awhile and it was running better than the pulse mate.
regards trashy

HeadsUp said:
read the current GGT magazine , woody from detectormods says he has heard "surprisingly good results" or words to that affect from memory

woody also said he's technology is better than minelabs as well. ;)

so it would be best to try a pulse mate and form your own opinion I reckon
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
HeadsUp said:
read the current GGT magazine , woody from detectormods says he has heard "surprisingly good results" or words to that affect from memory

woody also said he's technology is better than minelabs as well. ;)

so it would be best to try a pulse mate and form your own opinion I reckon
regards tm

he is able to tune and modify minelab machines to produce a better detector that finds more gold

Why cant minelab do it ?

I am sure ML has taken one of woody's modified machines to see how he does it , but apparently ML cant be bothered ?

or maybe the tech' will be in the next model that ML produces ?

HeadsUp said:
he is able to tune and modify minelab machines to produce a better detector that finds more gold

:D his secret might be all that hot glue woody fills the box's with :D

HeadsUp said:

:lol: so he says but most disagree. Good way to lower the value of your detector & Minelab won't touch it again.

Just to let you know that pm coils gave us 2 of their coils to test out but we haven't had a chance yet due to the wet conditions up here and all the gold areas that we go to being out in the middle of the bush(85mm of rain the other day !) As soon as it dries out enough that we can get out without being one of the dozen or so bogged vehicles around Tennant we will give our opinion on them
Regards Bill

mozzie1957 said:
Any more on PM coils? Anyone?

they recently released a ldl coil, it is a 18 " with a 7" coil inside the bigger one.
there theory is the 18" will get the deep stuff and the 7"will get the shallow small stuff.
no reports back on it yet, they offered to send one out to another bloke to try but it has not shown up yet.
regards trashy

Any body here have or have had one of the pm coils?i can pick one up for less than $100 need to k ow weather they are any good??

Yep, got a couple of them.. 12x4" 18x14".. they're on par with coiltek, maybe not as hot as NF, but money well spent..

I wouldn't buy them again honestly, the unusual size of the 12x4 sounds like a good idea on paper, but its basically worthless..
Depth is about 5cm less than the commander 8" mono, sensitivity only applies to the first 2" front and back of the coil.

The 18x14" is HUGE... heavy, sensitivity is okay for a coil this size, I've only used it twice, its just too big.. it hangs up on sticks and bushes.. basically its a pain in the arse..

They're rediculious looking coils, shapes and sizes need a serious re-think... Even Dtech got it right.. why couldn't PM?