Please help Identify this rock (Thank you)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe

Reaction score
Hi Guys, are you able to identify this rock? many thanks

IMG_0578_zps46bf5f1b.jpg

IMG_0576_zpsc45b359e.jpg

IMG_0575_zpsbf4e6922.jpg

IMG_0574_zps70cd889e.jpg

The same rock with few more angles and broken down further:
IMG_0585_zpsec4f6a0e.jpg

IMG_0593_zpsb3bebc33.jpg

IMG_0591_zps3ed11ba7.jpg

IMG_0586_zpsecde8835.jpg

Some sort of ore it's non magnetic but detectable with a detector , hoping not to be hot rock.

Looks like a hotrock to me Joe, smash it up a bit more and if 1 piece is giving a signal there might be a nug, if all the pieces give a signal it's just a hotrock.

Looks like there are some pyrite crystals in it, maybe Arsenopyrite too, looks like Iron in it also. Maybe some type of Sulphide ore with multiple metal types???

Cool rock.

Thanks Heatho,specimen came out of mine/ tunnel and extremely difficult to break. Hot rocks that I've picked up before never had such a vast composition or mixture of minerals. Obviously no visible gold but the machine sees some form of metal compound.

I concur with Heatho, looks like iron and quartz to me though some of those pics make the blue stand out so could be copper sulphides in there too. You could break it down to thumb sized bits and check each individual for colour, hardness, flame etc if you were really keen to know.
The rusty looking veins in it are definately high in iron.
Cheers TGW

What sort of mine? Ive seen similar out of Kalgoorlie, Im thinking a basalt - maybe of gabbro which is very hard stuff.
Like Heatho said, I have to think that's from a sulphide based ore, green tinge on one of the sides indicates there could be copper in there, maybe nickel due to the dark intrusions as a guess.
Cheers

Latest posts