Places to detect - Close to Melbourne Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think there is any law that says you cant coin hunt? a coin is not gold so should be ok if your only using a coin detector ?. :)

numpty said:
i dont think there is any law that says you cant coin hunt? a coin is not gold so should be ok if your only using a coin detector ?. :)

The Heritage Act 1995 protects all historical archaeological sites in the state, and all known sites are included in the Heritage Inventory, found on the Heritage Database.

Black Cameron's mine is protected and cannot be detected and items cannot be removed from it.

https://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/legislation/compliance-and-enforcement

numpty said:

Depends on where you are coin hunting!
I know of a French Tourist that got into trouble with Parks Victoria for detecting at Wilsons Prom, ( Its a National Park ).

BobDigger said:
numpty said:

The Heritage Act 1995 protects all historical archaeological sites in the state, and all known sites are included in the Heritage Inventory, found on the Heritage Database.

Black Cameron's mine is protected and cannot be detected and items cannot be removed from it.

https://www.heritage.vic.gov.au/legislation/compliance-and-enforcement

Yes , yes , yes I know and that's why I stated it in my last post ! So you can sleep well knowing I won't be having a swing or nicking stuff from there . Thanks for the info anyway !

Hi There,

I rang parks Victoria today to ask if I was allowed to metal detect when walking around the Warrandyte state park (10mins from home)... since you are allowed to have a go at panning in the creek, i though bit of exercise with a detector would be just this thing this weekend..... the reply was, sorry, there are no places in Warrandyte where you are allowed to use a detector or pan.... the last bit I know is false because we have had picnics in the past right under the sign saying it was okay.

So since Parks Vic is giving me false information I looked around and found this forum :)

The places listed on the EarthResources.vic.gov.au site are as follows, is these another more comprehensive list for Victoria please? And in particular, am I allowed to detect when bushwalking in the Warrandyte state park??

Beechworth Historic Park
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park
Enfield State Park
Greater Bendigo National Park
Heathcote-Graytown National Park
Kara Kara National Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

Also, I signed up for my 10 year license today....

Thanks heaps :)
Stuart.

The mention of Warrandyte State Park only refers to the limited panning section of Anderson's Creek.
This question has been asked before and clarified by the authorities. ( No Detecting Warrandyte State Park ).

Stop poking the Bear!

I asked Parks Vic the same question and they provided me the attached doc. It's pretty clear you are allowed to use a metal detector in the specified creek beds in the Warrandyte State Park.

Attachments

• Warrandyte - prospecting doc WSP.pdf
    215.2 KB · Views: 3
The mention of Warrandyte State Park only refers to the limited panning section of Anderson's Creek.
This question has been asked before and clarified by the authorities. ( No Detecting Warrandyte State Park ).

Stop poking the Bear!
Fair go - it is a reasonable question and the website is quite unclear. As Austin 1800 says "I looked around and found this forum". So how could he know about previous discussion? And the Dept is required to answer such questions as part of its normal functions and are usually quite helpful but sometimes do not get it correct.. Do we need to be unfriendly to new members (or existing members) - perhaps a normal level of friendliness.....?

classic left hand doesnt know what the rights doing!
and computers were suppose to make life easier.. huh

Welcome Austin1800. Sometimes we forget that new members will not have encountered the 1000s of previous posts on a multitude of topics.
It is ok ”poke the bear” when you feel that information given is false or unclear.
Once had an argument with a ranger while I was detecting in the Whela area with a group of friends. I was sure we were in the right but the rest of the group decided we should play it safe and move on.
I later checked my information and found that I was indeed right and wrote respectfully to the local Parks Vic office to point that out. They in turn called me back with an apology saying that the ranger concerned, fairly new, had wrongly identified the boundaries of a no detecting historic area.
It gave me a chance to establish a good relationship with our local Parks Vic people which was helpful later when we had a battle with a belligerent private landowner threatening us and putting a fence around crown land that adjoined his property.
As a group our relationship with authorities is dependent always on being respectful and doing the right things.

Yes but it only takes one person to reply and then everyone else looks at the latest comment to reply. Hawkear, like me you did not realise that Caesar replied to a two year old enquiry. So his comments were reasonable at the time, swinging and digging a bit unfriendly at the time, and the others were reasonable in that context. Except that we don't need to welcome Austin 1800 nor chastice swinging and digging for a comment 2 years old! 🤣🤣🤣

Suitably reminded to check the currency of a thread or discussion.
Even so if a post attempts to add further information and discussion value to an old thread, hope that would not necessarily require chastisement.

Last edited:
Chastisement related solely to saying "This question has been asked before and clarified by the authorities....Stop poking the Bear!" when in reply to someone who said they were a completely new member asking a question that they could not know had been discussed, or even that people might consider it poking anyone. I n ndid not want a new member to think we were an unfriendly and paranoid lot, but it was actually long past and is not worth further discussion.

Latest posts