Pinpointing with Garrett AT PRO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys I'm trying to practice pinpointing with my at pro international. All the vids I have watched on youtube and by reading the instructions indicate that when using the pin point mode it the sound should increase when over the target and the little discriminator blocks light up. however mine doesn't really do that when i try to pinpoint it makes barely an audible noise making pinpointing virtually impossible.

My method using the 5x8 coil is too do the wiggle method over the target find an approx location then use the pin point function but it doesnt really work even with shallow targets. am i missing something? the mode i use is coins in pro mode.

If anyone could shed any light or give tips it would be much appreciated.

Hi
After finding target do you move the coil away form target then press Pin point and move back over target or do you find target and press pinpoint straight away >?

As Danmuss said... move the coil away from the target before you press the pinpoint button. as you move closer the sound intensifies and the and the bars start to show.
When you are right over the target all bars should be lit up. If you hold in the pinpoint button while over the target the signal cannot get any stronger. I lift mine into the air then hold in the pinpoint button.

Also tho be aware if you have multiple targets in one spot i.e Iron targets or junk targets around the Target you want, just watch you don't pin point back onto a iron target cause you can easily dig the wrong target..

When you find your target move your coil around your target and find a small clear spot with no readings, then find your target again and move coil few inches into clear area and press pin point then back over target slowly.. if you move coil away from target and pin point over iron target you will just have same problem with pin pointing... hope I explained that ok to understand lol :D

Hi guys i have been doing that I just did a test inside. it work if the coil is only about 5mm -10mm over the target any higher and the tone is barely audible at all, and when the bars do go up over the target only 1-2 come up

cheers mate mine definitely doesnt do that the sound is very faint and the bars only mover to say in the iron range. I'm also using the international model with the 5x8 coil, I had the 6x9 coil on but it made no difference, also i noticed you were in custom mode. I usually leave it in the same mode (coins on pro) when I try to pin point

Must be something wrong with mine all though it bothers me a tad I have a garrett pin pointer that helps out alot. I bought it second hand I'm not sure if it's covered by warranty or not

Latest posts