Pin point function a necessity for beginners?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As above,is pin point function on a detector a necessity for someone starting out...I intend on buying a hand held pin pointer as well
Thank you for your help and patientce

The pin point on the machine can be very accurate BUT depends on the operator.

The hand held one can save you time when recovering small items.

Pinpointing mode is very helpful but a pinpointer makes a significant difference.

I'm looking at finally buying my machine and the one I want it the bounty hunter quick draw 2 but I'm not sure if it has pin point and that will be my deciding factor
The other machine I was considering,the ground efx 100mx reviews as to heavy..I've stretched the budget to 300 lol bless my misses but I'm still no closer if the bounty hunter doesn't have pin point..
I just want to make sure I make an informed purchase so to enjoy treasure hunting and not be frustrated by equipment and miss out on the enjoyment

Pinpointing a target with your coil is quite easy provided it is a single target. Just move your circular coil towards the target slowly from different directions to visually get a centre by using the edge of the coil as a reference point.

A double D coil works the same way except the sweet zone runs through the centre of the coil.

Ringpulls and foil give a more washy centre of target where a coin will usually give a more solid idea of location. A double target will confuse the stuffing out of the best detectorist.

If budget dictates, I would go for a handheld pinpointer and the best detector I could afford.

Hope this helps.

Bigjim said:
I'm looking at finally buying my machine and the one I want it the bounty hunter quick draw 2 but I'm not sure if it has pin point and that will be my deciding factor

Dosn't look like it has a pinpoint function:
QuickDraw2%20FACE-800.jpg

Yep and the search continues..I'm so keen just to grab one and start as its a hobby I'm very interested in..

Hmm try a wanted post, an ace 250, minelab 305, someone had a fischer for 200 awhile back. Used is prob going to be the way to go.