Pilbara Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am researching how they mine the shallow gold in that region.

In Canada our gold is in mostly hard and some soft rock and often the higher grades are 500-1000 meters deep.

I been watch the Novo resources videos and it looks like the gold is shallow red conglomerates.

(a coarse-grained sedimentary rock composed of rounded fragments (> 2 mm) within a matrix of finer grained material)

What I don't understand is why this company is having trouble determining how to mine it.

I mean, the locals must have been mining it for hundreds of years.

Thanks if anyone has an opinion on a possible mining method other than a metal detector.

rodeoclown

Crush and gravity seperation maybe,most mines in WA are setup to extract fine particle gold in different types of host rocks,very complex systems that need the right blends of material most of the time or there recovery rates can be affected....

G'Day

The Novo deposit is a new discovery. While there have been some shallow workings from the days of the old timers, most of the mining at Nullagine was shallow modern alluvials in the vicinity of the Novo discovery. The novo find is not only a new find but the first time a precambian pebble conglomerate containing gold has been discovered in Australia. It has similarities to the South African Witwatersrand gold/uranium bearing conglomerates The beds containing the gold also dip fairly shallowly and the requires some novel open cut mining methods and underground mining if they do go deeper would also require some great deal of thought. In any mining for gold it has to be a trade off between how much the method of mining will cost compared to how much they can effectively extract and treat while keeping to overall economics of the operation positive.

Araluen

So are they saying this is the first pre cambrian conglomerate deposit found in aust?
Not sure of the age of the different conglomerates all over oz but geez lots of conglomerate gold in different areas,sounds odd to me.....

PS: i hope its not another junior miner talking a find and there share price up....

Goldchaser1 said:
So are they saying this is the first pre cambrian conglomerate deposit found in aust?
Not sure of the age of the different conglomerates all over oz but geez lots of conglomerate gold in different areas,sounds odd to me.....

PS: i hope its not another junior miner talking a find and there share price up....

It doesn't look like Novo are doing much on the groung but they are buying up every available lease in the area so there must be a good reason for that. We left as they were due to arrive with a large bore drill, something like a 14" core drill. There's a guy been hard rock mining there just outside their lease and Novo are rewarding him to show off his mine to their prospective investors.

The whole thing looks a bit sus to me. Certainly not somewhere I would be putting my investment money.

Thanks for all the good comments here.

Many of us in Canada are skeptical because of a few of the individuals involved and the extreme level of hype.

Novo finished the day on the TSX-V down 84 cents or 15.4%.

Proceed with caution.

Moneybox said:
Goldchaser1 said:

It doesn't look like Novo are doing much on the groung but they are buying up every available lease in the area so there must be a good reason for that. We left as they were due to arrive with a large bore drill, something like a 14" core drill. There's a guy been hard rock mining there just outside their lease and Novo are rewarding him to show off his mine to their prospective investors.

The whole thing looks a bit sus to me. Certainly not somewhere I would be putting my investment money.

With the publicity moneybox is it a caravan park up there? :)

G'Day All

When it is said that there are plenty of conglomerate gold deposits it is a matter of definition. Yes there are modern or Recent conglomerates that contain gold but these are generally old river beds and are for the mot part unconsolidated sediments. Some deep leads also contain gravels but geologists do not for the most part refer to those deposits as conglomerates. It is a fine difference. The association of conglomerates and gold refer to only a handful of important deposits, one is a uranium bearing conglomerate in Canada, the name of which I cannot remember and one in Brazil. The major association is the Witwatersrand deposits in South Africa. These are the holy grail being the largest ever producers of gold in history. We had been looking for Witwatersrand analogues for a long time and the Novo deposits may be the first such discovery in Australia and one of the only ones in the world. I have looked at the Novo deposit and think it is very exciting. I worked on gold deposits and mines all over the place including the Wits and think that Novo has hit something very important. I cannot comment on the company but believe they are moving cautiously and doing their homework particularly in the current climate where financing a new gold development is still difficult.

Araluen

Moneybox said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Yeah they seem to be shouting from the rooftops with no firm evidence to back it up,a few guys killing the pig obviously with detectors and a bit of gear but not one drill hole in yet?
Look at say tropicana,it was drilled for yrs an yrs before they knew they had something serious,the deposit in south africa i read has been mined since 1886,superpits at 60 million ozs and counting,hope there onto something but at the moment is just conjesture,2-3yrs +(well lots) of extensive drilling before they have proof its a major deposit,hope so but very early days.....
bit more on it below

https://thewest.com.au/business/mining/uncomfortable-novo-cruels-pilbara-gold-rush-ng-b88671841z

It's too hot now but the private guys have exposed a lot more gold that Novo I think. There have been numerous 50 oz to 100 oz patches found and cleaned out by metal detectorists over the last couple of years. And yes at times it's like a caravan park. It got too busy and boisterous for us last year so we moved on and returned after the initial rush for just a few grams from random places. This year we dropped in a couple of times and walked away with a couple of ounces but it was generally very quiet. They are a fickle bunch up there, they just dive in on a new find and then disappear for weeks at a time when they realise each find has been very localised. They might be pulling out multi-ounce pieces but 50m away there's very little to find.

The conglomerates that Novo are looking at are a mystery. Talking to the local geo's, they say that nothing quite adds up. There are small patches of sedimentary, some patches where the gold appears to have been formed in the parent rock but some that may have been laid down by glacial action. Nobody really knows yet how the gold got there.

Moneybox said:
It's too hot now but the private guys have exposed a lot more gold that Novo I think. There have been numerous 50 oz to 100 oz patches found and cleaned out by metal detectorists over the last couple of years. And yes at times it's like a caravan park. It got too busy and boisterous for us last year so we moved on and returned after the initial rush for just a few grams from random places. This year we dropped in a couple of times and walked away with a couple of ounces but it was generally very quiet. They are a fickle bunch up there, they just dive in on a new find and then disappear for weeks at a time when they realise each find has been very localised. They might be pulling out multi-ounce pieces but 50m away there's very little to find.

The conglomerates that Novo are looking at are a mystery. Talking to the local geo's, they say that nothing quite adds up. There are small patches of sedimentary, some patches where the gold appears to have been formed in the parent rock but some that may have been laid down by glacial action. Nobody really knows yet how the gold got there.

Cheers and beers moneybox nice to hear a bit of first hand info from prospectors on the area.....

G'Day All

Couple of things. Yes I did a lot of stuff around Braidwood including helping with some books on the area by Barry McGowan. Now moved on to better areas in NE Victoria. Braidwood and surrounds have been invaded by "blockies" from Sydney who have effectively locked all the gates and do not allow people anywhere.

Back to Novo. What I wrote previously stands and yes there is a lot of controversy on the origin of the gold in the Beatons Conglomerate and I can also tell you that it is exactly the same on the Wits. The gold there shows signs of both hydrothermal and sedimentary sources and origins. I have seen gold in small veinlets, in quartz, and draped over cross bedded quartzites. Some of the gold is in within oolitic pyrite that appears to have been washed around on a shallow beach on bends in mapped out braided streams. The arguments will go on for ever. As the Nullagine deposits are experiencing the same debates from my perspective supports the idea that the Nullagine deposits do have similarities to the Wits deposits.

As to the work done by Novo I think that they are doing a very respectable job not pushing the deposit too far and fast for a quick share market return. There are also hundreds of drill holes put into the area so far and it may take several more years and many hundreds more drill holes to prove it up as a viable large scale mine. This is normal and standard. Remember this is not a normal discovery, there are no other deposits in Oz like this that we know about and so there is little existing knowledge on how to go about this. Slow and careful is the best approach.

Araluen

Oh ok thanks araluen,bungonia to braidwood i can nearly resight,still got my old copy,hiking to different spots yrs ago we found so many areas barry had missed (easily done unless you hiked in)it wasnt funny,from feagens-half moon roughly south to the junction none had never seen a detector,this was prob around 1997,walked the hills on an off for ten yrs odd,great book,had thoughts of getting in contact with him and passing on a bit of info but never got around to it,yes its all changed alot out there now.

Latest posts