Pay dirt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, pretty green to all of this but I was wondering if there were any rules/laws against taking pay dirt from fossiking sites home to pan off? Thanks I'm in sa if that helps :)

A Whoa :)
This has been asked before ......... with mixed responses .
From what I understand YOU are in your rights to take up 10 kg of ? pay dirt . over a 24 or 48 hour period ?
But don't Quote me on this . This is what I have heard but im not overly Intelligent :eek: .

But your honest at least haha, thanks mate will do some more digging around and se what I can come up with.

G0ldigg@ wrote:20-07-2015 9:48 am

The rules are quite clear on this actually, (sorry edit for Victoria )you can collect as many minerals as you like under your mineral prospecting license, if the minerals where all being used that were in the buckets then yes you could, the same way that if you are crushing quarts the mineral you are collecting is silica.

Collecting buckets of dirt to run elsewhere unfortunately is not within the license and carrying off buckets of non concentrated minerals is certainly looked down upon.

Think DSE's point of view for one minute, their job is to maintain the ecosystem and look after the land, you are essentially taking the land away and not bringing anything back. I'm sure you can see why they are not happy wit that.

the section of the act thats relevant here and i encourage you to read about your rights and responsibilities is
"You must repair any damage to the land arising out of the search or you will face prosecution"

Digging a big hole and taking the dirt away and not filling the hole in is bad business for everyone.

Jaros said:
G0ldigg@ wrote:20-07-2015 9:48 am

The rules are quite clear on this actually, (sorry edit for Victoria )you can collect as many minerals as you like under your mineral prospecting license, if the minerals where all being used that were in the buckets then yes you could, the same way that if you are crushing quarts the mineral you are collecting is silica.

Collecting buckets of dirt to run elsewhere unfortunately is not within the license and carrying off buckets of non concentrated minerals is certainly looked down upon.

Think DSE's point of view for one minute, their job is to maintain the ecosystem and look after the land, you are essentially taking the land away and not bringing anything back. I'm sure you can see why they are not happy wit that.

the section of the act thats relevant here and i encourage you to read about your rights and responsibilities is
"You must repair any damage to the land arising out of the search or you will face prosecution"

Digging a big hole and taking the dirt away and not filling the hole in is bad business for everyone.
What he said :D

Seem to recall that you cannot take stones or gravel from a river bed, running or dry. I know thats not exactly what you asked. In the bush i would think that removal of any sort of quantity of material would contravene lots of things, but if you concentrated down to a bucket or so then maybe not. I stand to be corrected as necessary...

Interesting topic, so with a high banker or sluce both need water so you can process "Pay Dirt" and I'm sure the tailings don't end up where they came from. That said the tailings aren't removed from the processing area so allows the activities to be carried out with in the scope of Vic miners right. Outback is spot on as for prospecting a dry area if you don't have a detector use a dry concentrator first then take home your cons remembering to stay within your limits. What I need clarified is taking bulk water (10,000 litres) to a dry area with a high banker. Am I expected to rebuild the ground I process or is it like the private (farmers) land next door where there once was the diggings but now levelled paddock. I don't want to level the area, just process a particular piece of ground. I'm not coming from a small scale mining angle, just need bulk water to maximise my time. I do have detectors but I know theres gold that can only be found by washing yet there is no water source.

Latest posts