panning yield?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarcher

tim
Reaction score
gday all, just wondering what the average number of colours to expect over a 2 hour panning period?
I know there are a lot of factors involved that will effect the outcome. Ive just started, no idea what im doing and have a lot to learn but im averaging between 30 to 40 specks with an occasional picker thrown in. Just wondering how that compares with others.
If thats a high yield then i'll enjoy it while it lasts as its all down hill from here, Or if its low....i have a lot to learn!. haha

its an average total over a 2 hr session. I have only been out half a doz times. best pan to date had 17 colours.

We could pan for 2hrs at gympie.gpa...for 2 specks :mad: .......or pan for 2hrs for 20 specks... :D but the average 2hrs of sluicing would be 10 to 20 specks with the Very occasional picker or 2 :D ...Unless your Yobs....who just kills it all the time :eek: :D :D ;)

ozarcher said:
gday all, just wondering what the average number of colours to expect over a 2 hour panning period?
I know there are a lot of factors involved that will effect the outcome. Ive just started, no idea what im doing and have a lot to learn but im averaging between 30 to 40 specks with an occasional picker thrown in. Just wondering how that compares with others.
If thats a high yield then i'll enjoy it while it lasts as its all down hill from here, Or if its low....i have a lot to learn!. haha

Phew! hard question......

Most of us, I reckon are recreational prospectors and the challenge is just to find gold!- and you have. Keep at it and keep learning but I'd say that you're in a productive spot but recognise that we're all 160 years too late for the gold rush :D and the days of the 1oz of gold to a pan are long gone. Enjoy watching the level in your vial rise with every outing or three.

casper

Should be happy with that sort of return, volume = more gold. Once confident about locating gold holding areas it might be time to invest in a sluice and if still going well a high banker.
The more gravel that's pushed through the greater the return (assuming you've got the right spot to start with).
Good luck, enjoy the ride.
Cheers T.

Well I went up to Talbotville on the weekend, had to pass bonnet high rivers and drive some steep low range 1st gear tracks to get to good luck creek, well what did I get? sweet FA only a few specks for hours of highbanking. I really can't express how pissed I was. Sounds like you are doing well mate, keep it up!!

Gotta agree with Teemore,sounds like your getting pretty good results.You are finding gold so you're looking in the right spots.If you find a spot where you get 17 specks in a pan start running that gravel through a highbanker or sluice.Test pan every now and then to make sure you stay on the gold.Just enjoy being out there and finding a bit of yellow.

I have been panning and get down hearted if there is less than 5 specks in the pan but looks like I shouldn't be :)

Mattfromararat said:
I have been panning and get down hearted if there is less than 5 specks in the pan but looks like I shouldn't be :)
Don't be disheartened Matt,keep at it.All those specks add up in the end.I have been highbanking twice,probably about 4 hours digging all up and I wouldn't have a gram of gold yet.It's not about getting rich mate,just enjoy being out there on the creeks.

Yeah, when I went to good luck creek, I test panned, and it came up crap, I was hoping for deposits when I dug down, but nup, stuff all.
Looks like test panning should be trusted, no point setting up a banker if nothing looks promising.

I was reading a journal of my great grandfather he found a place where he was getting 3 to 6 penny weight per dish but that was 1887. Does anyone know what 3 penny weight would be in todays terms as recent trip there is still
gold there.

Latest posts