Panning gold in hill end Bathurst

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sususydney said:
lshallperish said:
sususydney said:
hi perish, are you going back to barthurst or hill end again? if you've got a seat for me, I will half the petrol and we hunt together; let me know so I can get my panning gear as well :)

No worry's I'll let you know when I go again, it cost me 46 bucks from sydney to bathurst, to sofala, to hill end, back to sydney =)

wow thats good value! ok, I will half the petrol and carry food for both of us and coffees for the drive as well. I could get great pastry/ chocolate croisant; salmon bagel; ham &cheese croisant *drools*
so how long do you want to go for?
by the way do you know any spot yet? or should we explore the region and look for a good spot to hunt?? the problem to find a spot is actually being there examining the soil, so I will do research and find the best spot for the hunt.
Hahaha, soulds like prospecting is a good excuse to get into some artery hardening tucka. :D My kinda trip. ;)

lshallperish said:
Horse said:
lost a bit said:
lshallperish said:
About 1km before you get to the town of hill end there is this place where we stopped and it had a sign of what happened here, it was talking about how the Asian gold miner's would pan in this area. There was awesome looking rock formations going on, it also had a little cave you go through but it just got to scary for me to be honest however I just couldnt help picture a big ass gold ore stuck in these rock formations haha. Does anyone know the name? I forgot.. there are wooden type stairs that goes down to what it looked like a old dried out river/greek/stream but we went there when there was a recent flood going on so it had a bit of water but still walk -able

Anyone find colour there? Only thing I found was gold the size of a dot

I think you may be talking about the golden gully arch
lab

Certainly sounds like Golden Gully....it was a Chinese hot spot.
Did you notice the round tunnels in the walls?

do you know anything about those tunnel's? Im guessing its just natural but if its man made than it makes it more interesting.

The round tunnels you can see in Golden gully are the reason Golden Gully is there.
There was not any large ore body there, it was all deep leads..chasing ancient river wash.

The Chinese miners sunk round shafts and round drives along the ancient river wash. Many Chinese ( not all) only ever dug round shafts and drives...as shadows were a ting of bad omen. Candle light in a round shaft had no shadows in the corners. So the bad omens, spirits were kept at bay
The Chinese miners would carry out the river wash for sluicing.
The combination of the shafts, tunnels, mining at later dates and erosion over the years led to the gully being carved out.

As you pass under the "Arch" take the gully to the left and there will be a drive tunnel there at an accessible height..Take a closer look (without going into) you can still see the pick marks in the walls after 150+ years.

Many years after the Chinese had gone, the gully was reworked by the Hill End area locals such As Darby Woolard and mates working for Golden Gully Sluicing Co....feeding large wooden sluices when water was available.
I know this from a personal conversation with Mrs Beryl Woolard...now passed on...However Beryl was a wealth of information, and one of the nicest ladies I ever had the pleasure to meet.

The Arch maybe an amazing sight there....however the pick marks in the tunnel walls are the highlight for me.

One word of warning...Golden Gully is NPWS area....do not be tempted.....and the Rangers have a look at times.

lshallperish said:
sususydney said:
lshallperish said:
sususydney said:
hi perish, are you going back to barthurst or hill end again? if you've got a seat for me, I will half the petrol and we hunt together; let me know so I can get my panning gear as well :)

No worry's I'll let you know when I go again, it cost me 46 bucks from sydney to bathurst, to sofala, to hill end, back to sydney =)

wow thats good value! ok, I will half the petrol and carry food for both of us and coffees for the drive as well. I could get great pastry/ chocolate croisant; salmon bagel; ham &cheese croisant *drools*
so how long do you want to go for?
by the way do you know any spot yet? or should we explore the region and look for a good spot to hunt?? the problem to find a spot is actually being there examining the soil, so I will do research and find the best spot for the hunt.

3 places I know are hill end, sofala, tuean? river (i think thats how you spell it <)

You just pan right?

im getting my pan kit ordered in today from US,might take 3 weeks to arrive, my gold bug arrive in 2.5 week so hope I get it before the trip or I will just swing my little gold bug into the water if I need to :)
I got some gold flakes online to test out the sound as well, but hopefully they all arrive before the trip.

Horse said:
lshallperish said:
Horse said:
lost a bit said:
lshallperish said:
About 1km before you get to the town of hill end there is this place where we stopped and it had a sign of what happened here, it was talking about how the Asian gold miner's would pan in this area. There was awesome looking rock formations going on, it also had a little cave you go through but it just got to scary for me to be honest however I just couldnt help picture a big ass gold ore stuck in these rock formations haha. Does anyone know the name? I forgot.. there are wooden type stairs that goes down to what it looked like a old dried out river/greek/stream but we went there when there was a recent flood going on so it had a bit of water but still walk -able

Anyone find colour there? Only thing I found was gold the size of a dot

I think you may be talking about the golden gully arch
lab

Certainly sounds like Golden Gully....it was a Chinese hot spot.
Did you notice the round tunnels in the walls?

do you know anything about those tunnel's? Im guessing its just natural but if its man made than it makes it more interesting.

The round tunnels you can see in Golden gully are the reason Golden Gully is there.
There was not any large ore body there, it was all deep leads..chasing ancient river wash.

The Chinese miners sunk round shafts and round drives along the ancient river wash. Many Chinese ( not all) only ever dug round shafts and drives...as shadows were a ting of bad omen. Candle light in a round shaft had no shadows in the corners. So the bad omens, spirits were kept at bay
The Chinese miners would carry out the river wash for sluicing.
The combination of the shafts, tunnels, mining at later dates and erosion over the years led to the gully being carved out.

As you pass under the "Arch" take the gully to the left and there will be a drive tunnel there at an accessible height..Take a closer look (without going into) you can still see the pick marks in the walls after 150+ years.

Many years after the Chinese had gone, the gully was reworked by the Hill End area locals such As Darby Woolard and mates working for Golden Gully Sluicing Co....feeding large wooden sluices when water was available.
I know this from a personal conversation with Mrs Beryl Woolard...now passed on...However Beryl was a wealth of information, and one of the nicest ladies I ever had the pleasure to meet.

The Arch maybe an amazing sight there....however the pick marks in the tunnel walls are the highlight for me.

One word of warning...Golden Gully is NPWS area....do not be tempted.....and the Rangers have a look at times.
I wonder if you got the co ordinate for that area Horse? I want to have a look on google maps if you can 8) locate the link and mail it to me so I can review it and visit it and repost if I do or dont find gold in that location for everyone.

G'day Horse,
Your post on Golden Gully at Hill End is very informative and a great read; your comment on fossicking in Golden Gully and the NSW NPWS, I am led to believe that the NPWS only have control of that section that falls within the boundaries of the Historic Village Precinct, the bulk of Golden Gully is within the area of the Hill End Common.
Also it's my understanding that the trustees of the common have no objections to fossickers roaming through the common as long as they FILL-IN their holes and don't leave any rubbish, the trustees also are aware that fossickers bring value to the village by way of supporting the local businesses which in turn helps to keep the village viable.
A bit of recent history; Back in early 2012 there was a rumor going around that the NPWS were trying to take over the Hill End Common, on April 14 that year there was a public meeting at the Royal Hall at HE where a consultancy company hired by NPWS outlined the new 2012 Hill End Historic Precinct Plan Of Management.
The consultancy presenters at no stage made any reference to the value that fossickers brought to the village, a group of interested fossickers/detectorists at the meeting during question time made absolutely sure that the consultants departed much better informed on this subject.
That meeting as it turned out led to the formation later that year of NAPFA and as they say "the rest is history"
To this day NAPFA here in NSW and the ACT is slowly improving the lot of amateur fossickers and prospectors with on-going dialog with NPWS and other government bodies that control what and where we are allowed to pursue this fabulous hobby, as with any representation to government departments the greater the numbers the more likely success will follow, so if any forum members have not jumped on-board you will be more than welcome, check out the NAPFA website.
Again Horse thanks for the post.
Cheers, SinHof

SinHof said:
G'day Horse,
Your post on Golden Gully at Hill End is very informative and a great read; your comment on fossicking in Golden Gully and the NSW NPWS, I am led to believe that the NPWS only have control of that section that falls within the boundaries of the Historic Village Precinct, the bulk of Golden Gully is within the area of the Hill End Common.
Also it's my understanding that the trustees of the common have no objections to fossickers roaming through the common as long as they FILL-IN their holes and don't leave any rubbish, the trustees also are aware that fossickers bring value to the village by way of supporting the local businesses which in turn helps to keep the village viable.
A bit of recent history; Back in early 2012 there was a rumor going around that the NPWS were trying to take over the Hill End Common, on April 14 that year there was a public meeting at the Royal Hall at HE where a consultancy company hired by NPWS outlined the new 2012 Hill End Historic Precinct Plan Of Management.
The consultancy presenters at no stage made any reference to the value that fossickers brought to the village, a group of interested fossickers/detectorists at the meeting during question time made absolutely sure that the consultants departed much better informed on this subject.
That meeting as it turned out led to the formation later that year of NAPFA and as they say "the rest is history"
To this day NAPFA here in NSW and the ACT is slowly improving the lot of amateur fossickers and prospectors with on-going dialog with NPWS and other government bodies that control what and where we are allowed to pursue this fabulous hobby, as with any representation to government departments the greater the numbers the more likely success will follow, so if any forum members have not jumped on-board you will be more than welcome, check out the NAPFA website.
Again Horse thanks for the post.
Cheers, SinHof

Hi SinHof,
You are correct in saying the bulk of the gully is common...however...the good bit is NPWS.
The Arch and about 150m to 200m either side.

I had always hoped Silver Orchid Mines dam would fail and send a mountain of water down the gully....but it never happened....bugger

Hill End would have died long ago along with the Cobb and Co route, had it not been for the gold, toursits and fossickers...it is a shame NPWS tie up some sweet areas....most to become overgrown and not even accessible to bush walkers without the need for a machete. (Which would raise the ire of NPWS anyways)

Tourism and fossicking go hand in hand at these sites...I am pleased folks like NAPFA are taking our interests to the highest levels.
In saying that, it would be fool hardy for anyone to try fossick in the NPWS Golden Gully area...as one indiscretion by fossickers is probably a two year set back for NAPFA if the nasty green monsters get hold of the news.

On this map you can see the green rectangular marked area of Hill End Historic Site.....Just north of the main village and west of Hill End Road
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/hill-end-historic-site/map

cheers,
Horse

Hi Horse,
Yes, Hill End is a great location to chase the yellow stuff, at the recent Goanna Muster and NAPFA AGM April 5and6 at HE, the rumour that NSW NPWS was trying to take over the HE Common surfaced again, it's getting to be a bit like a broken record; also, from the map it would appear that what seems to be the rifle range, is in fact part of the NPWS precinct! interesting, no signs out there to that effect.
Lets hope that NAPFA can bring some changes to all of these land grabs that the NPWS have undertaken over the years; SCA's in particular, the Copeland Tops SCA as you would be aware is right in your front yard.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Hi Horse,
Yes, Hill End is a great location to chase the yellow stuff, at the recent Goanna Muster and NAPFA AGM April 5and6 at HE, the rumour that NSW NPWS was trying to take over the HE Common surfaced again, it's getting to be a bit like a broken record; also, from the map it would appear that what seems to be the rifle range, is in fact part of the NPWS precinct! interesting, no signs out there to that effect.
Lets hope that NAPFA can bring some changes to all of these land grabs that the NPWS have undertaken over the years; SCA's in particular, the Copeland Tops SCA as you would be aware is right in your front yard.
Cheers, SinHof.

In hill end there is this place called historic site or what ever, basically a beautiful view of other mountains across and where people parked the car it had signs all over the place saying that this part of the section is closed and is under lease for mining operations.

Can anyone tell me how aussie companies mine gold? I have never seen any videos or anything regarding gold mining in Australia.. is it done like the Americans (gold rush)

G'Day Ishallperish,
The area you have described sounds like the side of Hill End Gold's mining lease that fronts onto the road to the lookout.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hawkins Hill is worked by Hill End Gold Limited (ASX:HEG)

They also have claims at Red Hill and Hargraves, as well as extensive Exploration Leases in the area.
Yet another example of how big business can get access to areas that the general Australian public are not allowed to touch.
1398476870_images-stories-310114-heg_ten_location_2-387x557.jpg

Just off topic a little bit here, because I've been researching this area too and wonder has any one ever fossick for a living with family commitments?
its a question that has been on my head for the last few weeks.. when I decided to work on organising a trip to hill end. and thought I love doing this kinda thing.
first is research then prepare, and then out into the field. its practical :)

There is a fossicking licence(which I didnt know) to prospect state forests :)
a year costs $28 just like a fishing lic hehe;
when applying for the lic, it shows which location you can fossick in maps section, provided by NSW gov in topographic format, very useful :)
I cant wait to go!!

Have you been out yet to find Gold?

Its extremely demanding work for little return.

There is an equation that you should consider "effort for reward"

If its a hobby, great, but I think you would struggle "fossicking" for a living.

Cheers

Hobby fossicking for a living = starvation
Fifty cents, to five dollars a day. not good.

Best thing to do,
go out to a good area, try it for a few days, then see if the yellow stuff is worth it for you.
Head up the Turon from Hill End, and LOOK.
Look.
Then think.
Think like you are a piece of GOLD.

Find your spot,..
Your own spot.

There is enough info on this site to find your best place.
Don't expect to be spoon fed by the old hands here.
Spoon fed babies never learn.
lol

well if you were a gold miner and know where gold is at, would you tell anyone? lol unless there is a catch..
if you were successful miner like the billion dollar company corporate would you be spending your time on this forum? lol no, you would spending time on helicopters looking for more.
no offend to the pro wanna be, but I have learnt the history of mining and the topic is huge, by the time you find a piece of flake every one has already moved on to nugget? lol and once you find a nugget everyone has already found the ore veins and thats why the industry leader are already putting lease on those areas. in reality.... speaking.
I am just like a baby prawn in the sea floor eating little by each day, and them are like sharks in the ocean. to be a shark you gotta eat the prawns, right Hillbilly?
I dont think i was expecting by spoon fed by anyone here, not like they got gold laying around to feed me lol even if they do why would they spoon feeding some stranger? lol this is no charity forum, there is a catch in every post. Even I wanted to leverage of people's ride, but I offer to share the load. So im not asking for free feed, but to be honest, I like some of the old fellas on this site, kind and lovely people, but I also spot some of them sneaky snakey waiting for preys.

haha;
Now I know what you guys mean! :)
Just been out to Tudon river with my elders, looking for gold is tough as hell; after all the expenses like petrol and car services; I am broke already and haven't found a piece of gold.

G'Day all

I worked for over twenty years as an exploration and mining geologist and have some across some full time prospectors in my time. Most were in established goldfields in Western Australia. Some of them did well from pegging claims on old gold mines and selling them to the companies and taking a royalty if they got into production. Some also in Queensland for other minerals. I think the prospects for doing that in the other states is fairly tough. There are prospectors also for other up and coming minerals. Tin in northern NSW and far North Queensland. The only other way I can think of is in running prospecting tours - there are few that do this.

Ara;uen

It's a tough existence, you need have very little overheads and be in productive areas.
There is more money in the dinner on the plate that the miner ate.

Latest posts