Overdue Toll SMS - scam or wrong number?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubstake

Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received the below SMS today. The vehicle registration number is not mine and I'm in WA, not NSW. Is this a scam or have they just got the wrong mobile number?

1614050227_2021-02-23_11.10.37.jpg

StoneTheCrows said:
Maybe wrong number
You cant tell if the website the post shows is correct as the underlying link may be different to what the screen says.

I would call rather than click that link.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I've filed a suspected scam report directly through the official Linkt website (as suggested by RM Outback), and will advise the outcome here.

Someone may have used your ID to register a vehicle so they just drive around however they like while all the fines get sent to you :eek:

Don't really know if they could do that or not lol :D

There`s of lot of crap going on.
I keep getting texts that i won a prize .
I keep blocking the numbers but the text keep coming.
What i noticed is i received a strange E-mail just before the text started.
Most likely there`ve hacked into something hopefully not Pay Pal and got my number.
Cannot see any other way they could have got my name.
I`ll change my passwords again but the bastards have already got those details.

Toll bills would be in the Post on Paper just like my pending 59ks in a 50 zone.
$123 plus 1 point. They`ll increase the green slip next time around.
It`s All a Scam the way i see it.
Bastards.

Yeh! Some of them would be just them spinning random numbers but when your name is there you know they have taxed the details some where.
At Jaycar again yesterday the bloke there asked if i was a member i asked why what discounts would it get.
He said are $10 in every $200 but we need your number & E-mail address.
i said and then what you`ll be hounding me with E-mails with promotions yes he said you`ll get that.
What to save $10 i`ll be right no thanks.
People don`t really think if the hacker gets into some where like Jaycar`s files there going to get numbers , E-mail addresses & addresses.
But if they want to send texts then make it more difficult for them Block their Number.

Got my car serviced a few weeks back and had to catch a cab after dropping it off.
A day later odd 10 cent transaction appears on credit card??
Next day at around 3:00 pm get notification a person spend $191.80 on Menu Log order, I called restaurant demanding to see CCTV
footage and told person my card used without my permission. Called bank waiting on hold for 1 hour 15 minutes, two more Optus pre pay top up transactions appear? While waiting on hold I worked out I could cancel my card from phone app with Bank, did this. Over the next 15 minutes received 20 cancelled declined transactions on my phone.

Have returned to cash transactions.

The Bank will reimburse the loss i`d say.
Makes one wonder how secure staff are taking transactions even they could be the offenders.

Bush said:
The Bank will reimburse the loss i`d say.
Makes one wonder how secure staff are taking transactions even they could be the offenders.

Yes I got reimbursed for the fraudulent transactions, got a new card then copped a few fees for direct debits that did not get honoured?
On cancellation of my card the transactions and statements vanished from my bank website?

Very annoying and costly thanks to dishonest theft. :lol: :N:

There is No honest Theft but one smart Monk did say there are many ways of stealing.
I guess stealing one`s character is ID Theft.
I think Gen in I is Right their just getting GS to make contact to get more info of him like his E-mail address or confirm his name and details on the phone.
I`d be confirming that return number is valid.
No billing agency is going to text or send E-mail without requesting a receipt other wise you could just deny ever receiving it which makes me think that all Penalties
should be sent by registered post.

Strange things can happen with cell phones I got a couple of text messages last month that said.. nice Pics the kids look like they are having fun .. :eek:
Another text was wow is that your new girlfriend ??.
Turned out they were texts sent to another number that some how were sent to my number instead ..very strange..
Even spoke with one of the senders and they were very apologetic ...

If I got one of these I'd definitely say scam. We don't have any Toll roads. :)

As mentioned, phone the right number and ask them.

Latest posts